autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: Which product provided the best beading throughout the testing period?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Product A

11 31.43%
  • Product B

10 28.57%
  • Product C

6 17.14%
  • They were all roughly equivalent

8 22.86%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silica Spray Showdown: McKee's v. Gyeon v. CarPro

Whoa! What a controlled and detailed review. You should be a scientist if you're not one already. I'm rooting for CarPro. I'm a big CarPro fan and if McKee's wins that will mean I haft to spend more money on another product LOL. Man oh man I'm so looking forward to reading your results. Thanks for your hard work. I hope you enjoyed doing the work as much as I enjoyed reading your work.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Whoa! What a controlled and detailed review. You should be a scientist if you're not one already.
    Thank you! I'll take the term "scientist" loosely and say yes!

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    I'm rooting for CarPro. I'm a big CarPro fan and if McKee's wins that will mean I haft to spend more money on another product LOL. Man oh man I'm so looking forward to reading your results. Thanks for your hard work. I hope you enjoyed doing the work as much as I enjoyed reading your work.
    LOL!

I honestly don't know which is which, but I have my eye on Panel A/Product A. That seemed to be marginally the best. But, sometimes what starts strongly doesn't end strongly. We shall see . . . .

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I felt the same way when I compared it to the sheeting of my car coated with Mohs. I will say this about the sheeting: even though it was slow, it was complete and better then before treatment. Isn't that what truly matters? Protection?
    No doubt it sheeted better than before they were applied. Sheeting isn't meant to show protection. I guess it's better to look at beading when it comes to if the protection is still there. Would you agree?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    No doubt it sheeted better than before they were applied. Sheeting isn't meant to show protection. I guess it's better to look at beading when it comes to if the protection is still there. Would you agree?
    I'm still not certain about which is better.

If you think about wetting ability, the more hydrophobic a surface it is, the less wetting ability. You'll have better contact angles with beads. But, beads stay put until they are evaporated or blown off. If beads stay on the surface, and if they have mineral deposits, they might cause etching in the LSP or clear coat.

For sheeting, if a LSP sheets well, it gets the water off the surface. Gone. So, I'd think sheeting is a better predictor of protection because it gets water off the surface.

But, that's just my opinion. They both may be equal markers of protection. Perhaps the beading is a better predictor of hydrophobicity, but I'm not sure it's a better predictor of protection. Both may be indicators of protection, but I don't know truly which is the better indicator.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)

Post Thanks / Like

Well laid out professional, organized, and detailed write up my man! I will be following this. Thanks for your passion and dedication to the industry! I look forward to seeing long term testing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Sheeting isn't very good for any of these, IMO.
    ^^^^^^

First:
    I don't call a liquid (such as water from a
    free-flowing source) that's running-off a
    vehicle, from factors such as gravitational
    forces, "sheeting".

Secondly, IMO:
    •Since, (at least according to their
    product descriptions), these products
    are formulated to be hydrophobic...

-then "sheeting" would indicate that the
    products' beading characteristics have
    diminished, and they have now reached
    a hydrophilic-state.

{What bearing, if any, would that have on
    these products' "protection characteristics"
    just may be the $64,000 question.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Fair comments, Bob.

Perhaps it is a case of semantics then that is used to describe the ability of a surface to repel water. Beading is clearly better after treatment and an indication of having a hydrophobic surface. I'm defining "sheeting" as the movement of a liquid off a surface like a sheet -- en toto. Gravity, etc. as you pointed out, affects this. But it affects beading too. Is a tight bead clinging to a vertical panel an example of hydrophobicity? Contact angle would suggest yes, but there are obviously some other molecular properties that are at play. Does it also repel gravity? Is there simultaneous hydrophilic forces at play? Regardless, the ability of the car's hood to repel water after the treatment is clearly better, whether it is "sheeting" or magic.

But, your $64,000 question is the most important, and perhaps unanswerable when we use these phenotypic, perhaps subjective, proxies (beading, "sheeting") of protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Thanks for all your time and patience!

I have been using Gyeon products for already a number of years: contrary to you, I think CarPro products are superior but I have to say that my experience with both brands is mainly with the decontamination / washing range.

My experience with Wet Coat is already long (I bought the first bottle more than 3 years ago). I tested it on a "blank canvas" and I have to say that the 12 weeks mark is realistic, at least with the Portuguese weather and the fact that I have a garage place both at home and at work. What I didn't like was its looks: from then on I have been using it solely on my wheels (due to its simplicity of use, it's a good in-a-rush-option).

Post Thanks / Like

Too often we judge a products durability and sheeting capabilities based on the horizontal panels. The real test is on the vertical panels. This is where all the real abuse takes place. Abuse from salt, brake dust and other corrosive contaminants that breaks down an LSP. And while yes, we all like to see how shiny the hood looks or how slick the trunk feels is a factor, let's also remember paint that is properly prepped will look shiny with any LSP. Just my .02
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed!!!

Wow great great write up man

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast