autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless Wash Face-Off! Carpro EcH2O vs. McKee's 37 N-914

Hello fellow Geeks! I've been on the forum for quite a long time, but this is my first attempt at a true-blue review thread. I've decided to do it right and cover not one, but two products! I'll try to cover as much as I can, give good information, and not bore you in the process. So, let's begin!

I'm here to test 2 of the newest products we've been lucky enough to have come along: EcH20 and N-914. I'll be testing both in waterless wash form, both dispensed from 32oz spray bottles. Both of these products can be used as rinseless/waterless/clay lubricant/detail spray/repelling Chuck Norris, etc.

The test subject is my SLK32, which was recently caught in a light drizzle. While it was indeed in need of a wash, I felt that it wasn't dirty enough to warrant a rinseless, much less a traditional wash. This test took place in my garage, with an ambient temperature at 62F.

The state she was in:

As you can see, dirty in the raindrop spots, but not entirely filthy.

First: Carpro EcH2O

Price: $16.99/.5L (16.9 OZ)
    Dilution for WW: 1:5 to 1:15 (1:10 as tested)
    Smell: Pleasant, but slightly chemical
    Consistency: Pepto-Bismol
    Leaves behind: SIO2 and some slickness

First of the bunch is one I've wanted to try ever since it showed up at SEMA. I use a few Carpro products on a regular basis, and they haven't disappointed as of yet. I diluted this one in the middle of the road at 1:10, or 3 oz in my 32 oz bottle as shown here:

The ECH2O was of fairly thick consistency, the closest I could think to put was Pepto-Bismol. It's thick enough to withstand a few rinses from my measuring glass. It's entirely opaque with a blue color, and while it's smell doesn't offend, I'm not ready to drink it either. Here it is mixed and bottled up:

On to testing! Here's the test panel:

ECH2O applied. It has a milky tint to it, almost like spraying thin PERL. It's lubricity was excellent, it sprayed and 'spread' well.

Dried off. It seemed to take a bit more buffing than N-914 to remove, although it dried quicker than N-914. No streaks were left behind and the surface was noticeably slicker.

Final Thoughts: ECH2O is a premium product and a pleasure to use, but at a premium cost. I'd gear this more towards luxury/high-end cars that have been previously coated, as the SIO2 it contains will be of benefit in a maintenance wash, and the people who own them will be willing to pay. However, for the average person or enthusiast, it's just a bit on the costly side to justify using it for every single wash. It is something I would use when I wanted to make my car cleansing ritual feel special, though, perhaps before a show or a cruise night, as something to give the shine that extra oomph. I'll be keeping this in my private stock to use on my SL65 for certain.

Next on the list: McKee's 37 N-914

Price: $14.99/16oz
    Dilution for WW: 1:128
    Smell: Fruity and delicious!
    Consistency: Thin and waterlike
    Leaves behind: Nothing

This one needs no introduction to us at AG. It is currently one of the forum darlings, and with good reason. It is also my first foray into McKee's 37 products. I diluted this one at a 1:128 ratio, or only .25oz(!) for my 32oz bottle:

The N-914 was everything that ECH2O is not: thin consistency and nice and bubbly. When mixed, it is almost clear with a very light green tinge. It also smells amazing, like Fruity Pebbles/Jolly Rancher awesomeness.

Now to put it to the test:

Applied. It sprayed and covered very well, lubricity was alarmingly good for something so clear. I honestly expected a lot less, given the low amount needed for a WW dilution.

Dried. When drying, it seemed to 'hang around' a bit more than ECH2O, which is something I liked because it wasn't drying off too quickly. It dried streak-free, and left behind nothing. Nothing at all. Literally squeaky clean.

Final Thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. It's easy to use, and it does exactly as it claims. Also, at the economical dilution rate (you use a whopping 12x less than ECH2O!), it's something you can use every time you wash. I have high hopes for this product, and if it does this well as a rinseless, it's going to replace the ONR I've been using for years. I'd recommend this to absolutely anyone.

Well, that about wraps it up for this one. Please let me know if you found this review useful in your comments, and thank you for reading this far!
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless Wash Face-Off! Carpro EcH2O vs. McKee's 37 N-914

Interesting. Thaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up, I coated my VW Golf last summer with Cquartz and look forward to using Echo20 as an waterless wash. once again spot on with the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Uber as a waterless wash it's great and pretty economical. I follow up with Ech2O as a drying aid/QD and since it spreads with very little product a little goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up! I've been using the waterless wash on the go concentrate, and like it but I may have to pick up some 914 with my next order.

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison review! Thanks for doing this.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning to move on to the waterless system for my cars from the bucket method and I'm glad to see this.
    A very timely assessment for me! Thanks for this information.

BTW---I love that measuring glass thingy. Where did you get that?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the comments, everyone!

I did have a chance to use the N-914 as a clay lubricant, I liked it better than ONR in this application as well. Also, the panels I washed with ECH2O are slicker today than they were yesterday, so that's something interesting to note.

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    BTW---I love that measuring glass thingy. Where did you get that?

Tom
    Honestly, I do believe I got it at WalMart. It's an Anchor 5oz measuring glass, it's also handy because it measures in ml as well. I got it because I won't lose a glass very easily, however plastic measuring cups have a way of disappearing on me. Same thing happens in the kitchen when I'm cooking
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Thank you for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast