autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed for first time...

I have read and viewed much about HD Speed. It is one of the most talked about AIO that I have seen and the only negative I've heard about was the clean up on pads. At such a modest price point, it wasn't hard to purchase, but having always been a Meguiar's guy, actually using it over my 205/Ultimate Wax combo that has served me very well, was not the easiest for me.

We finally got some weather in the 50's and the wife's daily driver, was definitely in need of a full detail. After doing a complete interior and the normal wash and clay routine it was time to give this stuff a try.

The car's paint is typical of a mom with two kids who despite all pleas from her husband, seems to have a love affair for "soft touch" washes at gas stations. Purchasing a dark blue car for her, wasn't the best idea. There is a fair amount of light swirls, and some isolated surface scratches.

Ok back to the HD Speed....

First impressions was this stuff smells awesome, and all though the viscosity is a tad thicker than what I am used to, I really liked it. The thicker viscosity may have more to do with the overnight lows in the high 30's and working at 54 degrees.

Old habits die hard, and being an old production detailer I tend to grab a rotary for correction work, and finish with DA's. So first up I wanted to give the speed a shot with a true rotary. To my surprise HD Speed did not seem to respond well to the rotary. This shocked me as I really thought with this being an AIO and having a fair share of glaze properties, that it would respond well with a rotary. I tried high, medium and low speeds, and just couldn't get a clean finish with it.

Next up was the GG6 and a white LC Lo Pro pad, the finish was excellent but it was very apparent that this method would turn into a 4 day buff if I stuck with it, so I took it up to an Orange LC Lo Pro pad. This was a very good match for this product. I saw no difference in finishing with the orange pad over the white, however the orange provided the additional cut to make it reasonable.

True to every other review I read, the HD Speed has an incredible long working time and wipes off like a dream. I wanted to test it's "no effect on trim" and purposely hit a few pieces, and true to it's word It didn't stain at all.

For the purpose of testing the cut I did a few IPA wipes, and I was pleased to find that this product actually had a fair amount of cut for an AIO. I really expected it to be much heavier on the glaze side of things as most AIO's I've tried fill more than they correct. It does seem to have it's share of fillers, but if your using an AIO, I don't view that as a bad thing.

I would place the true "cut" of the product just a little below M205. For wash induced swirls, it is great, but for RIDS, I would recommend hitting them with a compound prior to using HD Speed. I hit a few spots with the rotary, 105 and some wool, just to see how the Speed would handle the typical buffer haze, and it vanished it very quickly, leaving a brilliant deep finish.

It did seem to dust a bit for me. Not as much as 105, but definitely more than 205.

Overall I am very happy I tried this product, it is a true AIO for paint in good condition and no RIDS. I guess that is it's purpose. I definitely plan to use it for making a 3 step into a 2 step. I am impressed enough that I am considering purchasing the HD Cut for a truck that I have coming in next weekend, weather permitting. If anyone has experience with the HD Cut in comparison to 105, I'd love to hear their thoughts.

I should have taken some pictures of the process, but I get started and don't like to take breaks. I will definitely take some when I use it on the next vehicle.

Almost forgot to mention. Meg's Super Degreaser at 7:1, soaked for about an hour, rinsed in warm water made pad cleaning a breeze. Not sure if that is because I use a lot of pads, the low pro's, or a combination of both, but pad cleaning for me was not an issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed for first time...

Great in formation on HD Speed, thank you for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

The only AIO I use!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. I agree with you assessment of the cut vs 205. I will say IMO it does produce a slightly nicer and glossier finish though. If I'm not using a coating, it's my go-to product. I do usually top it with Collinite 476 for durability.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I just used it this weekend for the first time, minimal cut but it is an AIO.
    It is easy to work with for sure, as mention needs to be used on good paint.
    Thinking about trying poxy for a little extra boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised it dusted for you....it has not done that to me. I love the slick gloss it leaves you with. It did an excellent job of bringing out the metallic on an 08 Sequoia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Congrats. I agree with you assessment of the cut vs 205. I will say IMO it does produce a slightly nicer and glossier finish though. If I'm not using a coating, it's my go-to product. I do usually top it with Collinite 476 for durability.
    Thank you. I agree 100% that it finishes much easier than 205. I can get "equal/close" to the same results with 205, but I generally have to break out a softer pad and really slow things down. That was probably the biggest turn on to me for the HD Speed. I could finish as well with a heavy cut foam as I could a softer polishing foam.

Have you used the HD Cut?