autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Headlight Coating - innitial application results.

When this begins to degrade- what does it look like? For example, if you put it on a brand new set of lights, what would you see toward the end of its life (irregardless of when it occurs)?
    Hazy? Foggy? Chipping? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about new lights but on restored lights it will start to yellow again. That is when it is time to re-do them.

Post Thanks / Like

There would be no need to apply to brand new headlights, I would use Wolfgang Plastic surface sealant.

To boost the UV clear coat and keep them fresh, lasts (up to) 1-3 months depending of your local weather and how
    much you drive. etc,,

As for using this product it is just a solution fix- to already degrading UV clear coat.

=)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    There would be no need to apply to brand new headlights, I would use Wolfgang Plastic surface sealant.

To boost the UV clear coat and keep them fresh, lasts (up to) 1-3 months depending of your local weather and how
    much you drive. etc,,

As for using this product it is just a solution fix- to already degrading UV clear coat.

=)
    Every 1-3 months eh? Do you know how easy it is to forget to do that? I'd say it's among the most forgotten of things to get around to doing. Lol.

And it's not a solution to already degrading UV coat, because at that point you'll have to polish it off before it can look new again to apply this new coat? This won't just band aid a nasty headlight in 1 step.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Nice sir. I haven't done 1 set of headlights in years for a customer, I just CAN NOT get people to understand the importance of clear lights.
    When I do mine I will be using OPTILENS and for the price I hope like HECK it lasts longer than a year my goodness.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have to sand any of these lights?
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

i only have plastx but my headlights are still in good shape. should i use an orange pad to polish it? then can i just use a regular sealant after? what do u recommend for something i can do today?

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Headlight Coating - innitial application results.

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    Nice sir. I haven't done 1 set of headlights in years for a customer, I just CAN NOT get people to understand the importance of clear lights.
    When I do mine I will be using OPTILENS and for the price I hope like HECK it lasts longer than a year my goodness.
    Thanks.

IME most women turn to puddy when you do this to their car. Lol.

The 1st thing this particular girl said [after wow] was "did you take before and after pictures"? I said, "of course"! Lol.

If you think people are stubborn, you could always mention that having yellow headlights could lead to a costly ticket. It's a violation/safety hazard in most states.

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    Did you have to sand any of these lights?
    Nope. The 2 pics I posted where I taped off simply used the step 1 hand sanding in the previous kit, not sure if you'd call that real sanding in the traditional sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    i only have plastx but my headlights are still in good shape. should i use an orange pad to polish it? then can i just use a regular sealant after? what do u recommend for something i can do today?
    If your headlights are still in good shape you shouldn't be using any pad on them. PlastX by hand and that's only in the case something random needs cleaning/light polishing real quik. i.e. having to remove residue from Headlight Protectant like I once had to... But otherwise, you're fine with just sticking to regular sealant, that's what I'm sticking to on the Kia. Megs 365 Paint Protect every 2 months for me.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Thanks.

IME most women turn to puddy when you do this to their car. Lol.

The 1st thing this particular girl said [after wow] was "did you take before and after pictures"? I said, "of course"! Lol.

If you think people are stubborn, you could always mention that having yellow headlights could lead to a costly ticket. It's a violation/safety hazard in most states.

Nope. The 2 pics I posted where I taped off simply used the step 1 hand sanding in the previous kit, not sure if you'd call that real sanding in the traditional sense.

If your headlights are still in good shape you shouldn't be using any pad on them. PlastX by hand and that's only in the case something random needs cleaning/light polishing real quik. i.e. having to remove residue from Headlight Protectant like I once had to... But otherwise, you're fine with just sticking to regular sealant, that's what I'm sticking to on the Kia. Megs 365 Paint Protect every 2 months for me.

Sent from my iPhone
    oh ok nice thanks ill do it today when i do the tires, im doing the rims with fast finish so ill just use that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    oh ok nice thanks ill do it today when i do the tires, im doing the rims with fast finish so ill just use that
    Make sure Fast Finish is ok to use on clear plastic surfaces... I think I heard something about it not being recommended for anything but the paint. Keep off plastic trim or something, I'm not sure but you better check.

Sent from my iPhone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast