autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review And Comparison: Carpro Hydro2 and Gyeon WetCoat

Review And Comparison: Carpro Hydro2 and Gyeon WetCoat
    CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter
    GYEON WetCoat - 500 ml

***I won't copy and paste the product description anymore because I'm reviewing and comparing 2 products. If you'd like to see them, you can directly go to the product page (see link at the top of this thread).

Price:

Carpro Hydro2:
    $24.99 for 1L (lite version - RTU)
    $69.99 for 500ml (concentrate)
    $119.99 for 1L (concentrate)

Gyeon WetCoat:
    $17.99 for 500ml
    $84.99 for 4L

Introduction:

Are there instances where you just get too busy and neglect protecting your car's paint finish? Sometimes, life just gets in the way and you don't get to apply any LSP protection to your vehicle as much as you want.

At first, I was a non-believer of the products in this review. I mean what spray on and rinse off product can make your paint bead and leave behind some protection. How does it bond to the paint right? Well after seeing more and more videos and people talking about these products, I decided to buy both products and give it a shot. And while I'm at it, write a review for you guys as well.

Review:

Here's a picture of the product description and instructions:

The first thing I did was gave the subject vehicle a wash. This car was bought recently so the car's LSP history is unknown. How these products work is after you wash your car, you spray this product on your paint while it's still wet and rinse it again. The product will make your paint bead like crazy as if you just applied a fresh coat of LSP. And they said it also leaves behind some protection.

Here's the picture of the test vehicle after it was washed:

In order to make the comparison fair, I wanted to try both products on the same vehicle and on the same panel. I decided to do this test on the hood because horizontal surfaces tend to lose their beading characteristics a lot faster than vertical surfaces. Also, I wanted to avoid product cross contamination so what I did was apply a big plastic sheet in the middle and tape it down securely. This section will be the "CONTROL" area.

The first product (Hydro2) to be tested will be applied on the passenger side. So I covered the driver side of the hood with another big sheet of plastic to avoid atomized particles from landing on the other test surface resulting in cross contamination, which may alter the results. Also, the product application and rinsing are pointed away from the other test area.

When the second product (WetCoat) was tested on the driver side, I didn't have an extra sheet of plastic to cover the passenger side. So I just carefully applied the product for the driver side and pointed it away from the passenger side.

Now onto the videos!

Here's a video showing the before and after using Carpro Hydro2:

Here's a couple of videos showing the before and after using Gyeon WetCoat. The first video is the initial rinse and application of WetCoat. The second video is a rinsing video showcasing the beading effect of WetCoat. (Sorry I had to cut the video into 2 because there was noise disturbance while I was filming the video and I didn't want to include it).

As you can see in the videos above, both products worked extremely well and as advertised. It made the surface EXTREMELY HYDROPHOBIC by just spraying the product on and rinsing it off.

Here's a video comparing the beading characteristics of each product side by side. Also, you can see how the "control" area is not beading at all.

Now that we're comparing the product side by side, you can see that the Hydro2 side provides tighter beads compared to the WetCoat side.

Here's a video comparing the sheeting characteristics of each product side by side.

This comparison show a clear difference between the two sides. The Hydro2 side sheets water extremely fast while WetCoat sheets water at a slower rate. Eventually though, the WetCoat side sheets off the water like the Hydro2 side and here's a picture showing how each side looks relative to the "control" area.

I also wanted to see how each product helps air drying your vehicle. I really like using my car dryers to air dry my paint in order to minimize contact when drying the paint thus reducing the chances of adding swirls. Making your paint bead water will help the water fly off when being air dried. Here are the videos of each side being air dried (I'm using a Metro Sidekick Blaster):

Carpro Hydro2:

Gyeon WetCoat:

I don't see a discernible difference between the two sections on how it helps air drying. However, you can clearly see a difference between the treated area and the untreated (control) area.

Thoughts & Observations:

Both products make paint bead water like crazy so it works just as advertised. However, it seems that Hydro2 provides tighter beads compared to WetCoat. With regards to sheeting, Hydro2 sheets water a lot faster than WetCoat. Eventually, WetCoat will sheet off all the water too so it's not bad.

WetCoat had some particles floating around the bottle and this bugged me big time. I was told that this was normal though.

Hydro2 is a lot cheaper than WetCoat. Since WetCoat is ready to use, I will compare the cost of the Hydro2 lite. The Hydro2 lite costs $24.99 for 1000ml of product so that's 2.5 cents per ml. The WetCoat costs $17.99 for 500ml so that's 3.6 cents per ml.

I wasn't able to test the durability of these products. But it's so easy to use, just re-apply when you see your beading fading away.

Conclusion:

If you want an easy way to provide protection to your paint surface or make your paint hydrophobic then look no further. Carpro Hydro2 and Gyeon WetCoat are great products and work as advertised. But if I were to pick one of the two, I'd pick the Carpro Hydro2. It provides tighter water beads, sheets water faster and cheaper than WetCoat.

Hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review And Comparison: Carpro Hydro2 and Gyeon WetCoat

Great review. Hydro2 looks like it performs a tad better than wet coat. Good comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Marc! Good to know my stock of Hydro2 is still good stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Marc!

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding review Marc! Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to document and share with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice detailed review, I have always been on the fence about these types of products. Now I want to try them. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Post Thanks / Like

Hydr02 and the like is like black magic in a bottle.
    Been using it on wheels since it came out.
    Finally beem using it as a topper during the cold seasons.

I still can't wrap my head around how in concentrate, you dilute and spray onto panel - and then it magically bonds to paint.....while you active/dilute it a 2nd time around by the mere action of rinsing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for review I have both on my shelf hydro2-lite and wet-coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great review. Hydro2 looks like it performs a tad better than wet coat. Good comparison.
    Thank you so much Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Nice review Marc! Good to know my stock of Hydro2 is still good stuff
    Thanks a lot Haris!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent review Marc!
    Thank you so much Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Outstanding review Marc! Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to document and share with us.
    Thanks a lot Mike! It was a pleasure to write this review.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Thanks for the review.
    It was my pleasure GSKR! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    Very nice detailed review, I have always been on the fence about these types of products. Now I want to try them. Thanks for taking the time to put this together!
    Thank you so much Hammer77! Like you, I was also on the fence about it. I was skeptical because it's so easy to use. But so many people were raving about it so I gave it a shot. You'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Hydr02 and the like is like black magic in a bottle.
    Been using it on wheels since it came out.
    Finally beem using it as a topper during the cold seasons.

I still can't wrap my head around how in concentrate, you dilute and spray onto panel - and then it magically bonds to paint.....while you active/dilute it a 2nd time around by the mere action of rinsing.
    Perfect description LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mrken1 View Post
    Thanks for review I have both on my shelf hydro2-lite and wet-coat.
    My pleasure mrken1! Let us know how you like either products.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast