autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Review: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic
    McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic removes dried on wax from plastic rubber vinyl trim

Description: (Taken from AG's website)

Voted #1 wax remover for plastic!

You need McKee’s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic in your detailing arsenal. Whether you only detail your own cars or you detail cars as a business, you know how frustrating it is to remove dried wax, compound or polish residue off of plastic, vinyl and rubber trim. It's a real pain! Guess what? McKee’s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic actually works, so you can feel confident with your purchase! Keep a bottle or two in your cabinet of detailing supplies; you’ll need it sooner or later.

Stuff happens. It's so easy to accidentally get wax, compound or polish residue onto plastic, rubber and vinyl trim surfaces. What takes only a few seconds to do can take hours to remove and then you never really get 100% of the residue off leaving a white stain that bothers you every time you look at your car. McKee’s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic erases 100% trace residue of ALL polish, compound and wax residue on rubber, vinyl and plastic exterior trim. And it does so QUICKLY with minimal effort.

McKee’s 37 Wax Remover for Plastic is a breakthrough in chemistry. This extremely potent synergy of chemicals is formulated to dissolve offending wax residues without harming the plastic trim. Yes, it’s possible for a strong cleaner such as this one to be 100% clear coat safe. Rest assured if accidental overspray lands on your paint or glass, it will wipe right off without causing any damage.

Price:

$14.99 for 8oz
    $24.99 for 16oz

Introduction:

This review will be short and sweet. I just want to showcase how well this product works. I was skeptical when I first saw this product because I thought it was just another APC. But boy I was wrong.

Review:

Here's a picture of the product description and instructions:

For this review, I wanted to test and see how well this product works. So I applied one of my favorite long lasting sealants to my plastic trim - Menzerna Powerlock.

Starting with a clean surface, I applied Powerlock to the side skirt and rear diffuser as shown.

Side skirt:

Rear Diffuser:

Not only did I apply it to a big area but I also applied it THICK!! I may have gone a little overboard. A few friends told me that Powerlock is a PITA to remove from plastic trim and after I heard that, I got scared. Why did I apply so much? What if the wax remover doesn't work? Doubts set in LOL! At this point, I was just hoping this product works as advertised.

To make the test better, I let the LSP bake in the hot AZ sun for more than a week to ensure the LSP was dry and on the plastic really good. In fact, when it came time to use the wax remover, I washed the car and the LSP applied to the plastic trim didn't budge at all.

Here's how the LSP looked like after more than a week of baking and after washing the car:

Side Skirt:

Rear Diffuser:

I just followed the directions in the bottle.

Spray the product on the affected plastic trim:

Let the product dwell for 30 seconds (I might have waited slightly longer than that because I was taking pictures and all):

I didn't have a nylon brush so I used the stiffest brush I have - the tuf shine tire brush. Start scrubbing the affected area. You can see flakes of the dried up LSP coming off as you brush the surface. Pretty amazing!

The picture below shows the surface after it has been brushed. I was already impressed at this point. There's no trace of dried up LSP at all.

Wipe off the reside with a microfiber towel:

Here's the side skirt after everything is said and done:

Looks pretty good right?? Now let's do the same procedure on the rear diffuser.

Spray the product on the affected plastic trim and let it dwell:

Brush the affected area:

The product is clearly removing dried up LSP and you can see it flaking off:

Wipe off excess product:

Rear diffuser after:

Thoughts and Observations:

The smell of this product wasn't bad at all. I thought it being a wax remover, it will smell like APC or degreaser. It smells pretty good actually. It has a hint of an alcohol smell to it though but not very strong.

The product dries up a little fast so you have to start brushing after 30 seconds.

I didn't really care for the press down spray trigger of the 8oz bottle. I wish the smaller bottle came with the normal trigger sprayer like the one in the 16oz.

The product works really well and removes dried up LSP with ease. If this can remove Powerlock, I'm sure any wax will be a walk in the park.

Conclusion:

This product works extremely well as advertised. I thought this will just be another APC that doesn't really work that well in removing excess wax residue on plastic trim but boy I was wrong. If you have caked on LSP that you have difficulty removing from plastic trim, you need to give this product a shot! You will be blown away.

Hope you enjoyed this review. Comments are appreciated.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: McKee's 37 Wax Remover for Plastic

Great review. You really put it to the test with Powerlock on there for a week! I was wondering about this product since it came out. Looks like a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Marc.

Looks like a good product to prep the surface for trim restorers as well.

I always tape off the area, but it's good to know that it won't cause harm to clear coat should you accidentally splash some about. That's excellent - one less thing to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. Thank you!
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review, Marc! I love it that you planned this one out a bit and tried get the product to work on a LSP that had actually been there fore some time rather than applying McKees 30 minutes after you applied Powerlock! Bravo.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc! Thanks for doing this and taking the time to post it up!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Marc! Love the action shots man.

Post Thanks / Like

Great torture test buddy! I know I was very skeptical about it removing that powerlock from your trim under that AZ sun. Your review has me adding a bottle to my next order. Thanks for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Marc!

Looks like another winner from McKee's.

Nice product to have in your arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for not only doing the review but driving around with that crud on your skirt and diffuser for a week.
    You are a better man than I.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast