autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Heater

A couple of years back I installed a Fahrenheat brand garage heater. If you live in a cold weather state, let me tell you this heater is a must have. There are two sizes available. It absolutely takes any cold right out of the garage, makes working & detailing on your vehicles soooooo much better during the cold weather.

Here is the link:
    Fahrenheat 5,000-Watt Unit Heater FUH54 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Heater

Did you notice your electric bill increase much? I have gas heat in the house, thinking of cutting a vent to the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but it varies on the temperature outside and how long I need it on. At most it would cost about $20 for a full day of use when the temps were around freezing.

Post Thanks / Like

how big is your garage ? is it insulated ? I have a similar unit in my 2 car garage, which is under the house(28x24). It's ok but only near the work bench & heater unit. I should have put baseboard when I built the house but I didn't. I do use a salamander when temp's drop below 25 ish. just so the space heater can keep up. good luck.
    hmardown

Post Thanks / Like

It's a two car garage, the garage door is not insulated. The garage is attached to the home.

It gets so warm if I leave this on long enough you can begin to sweat. Most of the time I use it to chase the cold away and get the cars surfaces warmer, than I turn it off or drop the temp dial down so I do not sweat. It does include a thermostat so you can adjust the temps and it will not run continuously.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have it mounted to the ceiling? Did you require an electrician to run an outlet close to it? Is there a remote to control it?

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Heater

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Do you have it mounted to the ceiling? Did you require an electrician to run an outlet close to it? Is there a remote to control it?
    We did mount it to the ceiling. It required a min of 10 gauge insulated copper wire and its connected to a 30 amp breaker. Electrical codes vary per the area you live in, but you can add a switch to a wall to turn this on or off without throwing the breaker on or off (like I do). There is no remote for this. I'm short, I'm 5' 6", but I can reach the knob easily.

Here is the PDF of the manual:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...uals/17303.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar (different manufactor) heater, but still a 5K watt model.

As to the cost of using it...my electric went WAY up! From an average of ~$75/month to ~$150/month. That is/was using it 24-7 for one month and the thermostat set about 55°.

Did/does it work? Yes. But with the cost of operation-I only use it to get the temp up and then rely on a propane heater (yes, I am careful to keep 'ventilation' going).

Just my 2˘-

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a similar heater 2 years ago also. King Electric 5700 watt. My garage is a 4 car, so it takes a while to get the temp of the entire garage raised, but it does start to take the chill away reasonably quickly. It would work great in a 2 car garage. Still does good for my needs. I don't see a big difference in my electric bill, but I only use the heater intermittently.

I wanted a natural gas forced air heater, but the cost of a heater and running gas and electric lines was more than I wanted to spend. I did have the expense of running 220 for the electric heater, but that also enabled me to upgrade my air compressor to a larger unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I have a similar (different manufactor) heater, but still a 5K watt model.

As to the cost of using it...my electric went WAY up! From an average of ~$75/month to ~$150/month. That is/was using it 24-7 for one month and the thermostat set about 55°.

Did/does it work? Yes. But with the cost of operation-I only use it to get the temp up and then rely on a propane heater (yes, I am careful to keep 'ventilation' going).

Your garage must need better insulation. Our garage is fully insulated and nearly always stays 20 degrees higher than the outside air without any heat running so long as the temps are not artic. When temps drop below freezing the difference drops. However, keeping our garage at 60 degrees using our heater hasn't jumped the bill much at all. At night I most always kick it down to 45 degree as I make my way around and insure all the house is locked up. When I get my coffee in the morning I bump it to 60.

Makes a huge difference that IMO is well worth it. Especially when going out to leave for the day as the cars warm up so much faster when fluid aren't frozen.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast