autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use

Update - First Snow

Drove through my first "real" snow after using the coating. For those familiar, this was the snow that has large fluffy flakes that easily turn to a fine powder when you go to brush them away. It's slippery to walk on, and will accumulate but melt easily. While this wasn't a heavy wet snow, it was coming down pretty hard while I was driving home at 4 AM. It was 25 degrees out. Normally, this kind of snow would equate to a light misting rain when hitting a warm windshield. (Wow, I need to move back to the desert.)

The coating performed beautifully! Any of the snow that hit the windshield dusted and blew off before it even had a chance to melt. After I had cleared my windshield with my brush in the work parking lot, I only needed to sweep my wipers a couple of times to clear what had melted while the car sat warming up. Once moving.. perfect!

Another solid win for the McKees 37 Glass Coating.
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Can you comment on the McKee's vs Aquapel?
    From my observation Aquapel lasts longer, performance is close but I would still say Aquapel. As far as ease of application definitely McKee's.. Neither cause any issues with trails or wiper chatter that I experienced. Opti glass however gives you the best of both worlds.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    From my observation Aquapel lasts longer, performance is close but I would still say Aquapel. As far as ease of application definitely McKee's.. Neither cause any issues with trails or wiper chatter that I experienced. Opti glass however gives you the best of both worlds.
    I've had great luck with Aquapel, too. Lasts a long time and smooth wiper action. Beading and running off the window at 35mph+ is great.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter Update

It's been almost 4 months since I applied a single coating of McKees 37 Glass Coating to my windshield, and it is still performing beautifully. When I left work this morning, it was 12 degrees.

McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use-12-degrees-1-jpg

There was a light snow falling as I had driven in at 8 the night before, and some of it had melted to my warm windshield after I parked and froze into small patches of ice. When I cleaned off the car to head home, the ice flew off as soon as my scraper touched it. I was quite impressed.

A couple of quick sweeps of the wipers took care of any snow that I had missed and I was off and running.

Great product!
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Man that coating cleans up so easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My post on Autopia is called.... New/second post/windshield so far, but need to do more for perfection....if anyone wants to weigh in as I have been trying to achieve perfect glass. I like what I've read on here, time to move beyond RainX, which I've been mostly happy with for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

2 1/2 years later, an Update..

WOW! I have not redone the coating, the same treatment of McKees 37 Glass Coating that I put on in September of 2016 is still going strong.

I've been using regular glass cleaner when I was the car, but keep the washer filled with Rain X washer fluid. The water still beads and rolls off without the wipers. I may clay, super clean, and re-apply the coating this Spring to see if I notice a difference, but I am really impressed with the longevity of this product.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

8. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes osiapstndp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    2 1/2 years later, an Update..

WOW! I have not redone the coating, the same treatment of McKees 37 Glass Coating that I put on in September of 2016 is still going strong.

I've been using regular glass cleaner when I was the car, but keep the washer filled with Rain X washer fluid. The water still beads and rolls off without the wipers. I may clay, super clean, and re-apply the coating this Spring to see if I notice a difference, but I am really impressed with the longevity of this product.
    If you are using Rain-X washer fluid, how do you know that the coating is still there? The washer fluid will have it's own hydrophobic treatment applied every time you squirt it on the glass, so how do you know the effect is coming from the coating and not the washer fluid?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    If you are using Rain-X washer fluid, how do you know that the coating is still there?
    That is a good point. I figured that the combination of the wipers polishing the windshield and the Rain-X definitely add to the hydrophobic action.

I'm basing my estimation that there is coating left on the actions of the water outside of the wiper arcs (along the edges). The water rolls of when the glass has been recently cleaned (glass cleaner, filling station squeegee, etc.). This is also why I'd like to re-apply and see if I was just getting used to the Rain X replacing/boosting the McKees over time, or if it will make a big difference from how it behaves now.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    That is a good point. I figured that the combination of the wipers polishing the windshield and the Rain-X definitely add to the hydrophobic action.

I'm basing my estimation that there is coating left on the actions of the water outside of the wiper arcs (along the edges). The water rolls of when the glass has been recently cleaned (glass cleaner, filling station squeegee, etc.). This is also why I'd like to re-apply and see if I was just getting used to the Rain X replacing/boosting the McKees over time, or if it will make a big difference from how it behaves now.
    I really like the McKee's. I apply it in both the spring (April) and fall (November) and it's lasts at least as long as the 7 and 5 month periods respectfully. Wipers are definitely in use more in the winter months and of course the salt/snow in Michigan is a harder on any surface. I've been doing this now for about 3 years and the first year I noted that the coating deteriorated a bit at the end of each period. Year 2 and beyond, I added about 2 more sprays to each half of windshield for a better coating, and viola the product was still going strong for the 5-7 months. As for windshield solvent I have not been using the Rain-X product or anything like it...and it certainly might add longevity to the McKee's product. I never liked the original Rain-X product because it gummed up the wipers...which killed me on trying any other Rain-X product.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast