autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 37 Glass Coating - First Use

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Over time it will need to be clayed. Maybe once a year. I have personally clayed DP glass coating without losing the coatings behavior on the glass. Simply refresh and it's good to go again.
    Guz, thank you again. I really appreciate all or your great input on this process.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Don't forget to iPa wiper blades as well.
    GSKR, excellent advice. I clean my wipers every time I clean my car.

Really noticed a difference last night coming home from work. I work night, and this time of year we get quite a bit of condensation on our cars by the time we're leaving (2am currently). There was an even coating on my windshield when I left. The wipers too it off, but there was a clear mark left where the right side wiper stops directly in front of the driver. (I'm going to clean it later.)

However, as soon as I got moving, the beads of water started collect and run down the windshield UNTIL I go to 20 miles an hour. Then they were running up. I couldn't believe it. We're to get rain all weekend, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it behaves then. So far, I'm very impressed.
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got to apply it!

The product sounds pretty forgiving compared to other coatings like Uber flashing rather quickly.

Can't wait to hear how it does when it rains.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I also hate glass coatings that leave residue or any of the above promblems you mentioned..went to ag and asked for the best glass coating,I was willing to spend whatever.Nick said mckees so off I went with the product.prep is key so I took my Ibrid with megs 300 compound and polished glass.Then I did a ipa wipe down twice on each glass.applied coating twice on each glass to ensure proper coverage.This was 2 weeks ago,with all the tropical storms down here it was put to the test.Beads nice easy on easy off does what it says.Deos not perform like rain x where the water just runs off the glass at higher speeds.although its durability can withstand 3 car washes .so for the money ease of use and moderate performance on scale from 1 to 10 it's a seven.
    Have you tried Optimum Glass Coating?

It beads like rain-x and last for 12 months. On my previous DD it lasted 16 months and it was so amazing to drive during rain storms while watching cars barely moving
    Check out my YouTube Channel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Have you tried Optimum Glass Coating?

It beads like rain-x and last for 12 months. On my previous DD it lasted 16 months and it was so amazing to drive during rain storms while watching cars barely moving
    This would be the next step up from McKee's. It can be a bit grabby when applying but that is normal.

With either glass coating I would definitely recommend Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect to act as a booster and keep the glass feeling slick.

Post Thanks / Like

First Update: It finally rained. Not the storms we were promised, but enough to get it all wet. Driving to get groceries today, there was just an annoying misting rain, which combined with the spray coming off the cars in front of me, was not enough to cause the water to run off the windshield. However, I did notice that the beading was much more intense and visibility was good even before I turned on the wipers.

There will be another update coming when I finally get into some real rain. At this point, I like the product, but don't see a huge difference between it and the spray wax on the back window.. yet. I did order Optimum Clean and Protect to maintain the coating. I'll post another update when I get into some heavier weather.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    First Update: It finally rained. Not the storms we were promised, but enough to get it all wet. Driving to get groceries today, there was just an annoying misting rain, which combined with the spray coming off the cars in front of me, was not enough to cause the water to run off the windshield. However, I did notice that the beading was much more intense and visibility was good even before I turned on the wipers.

There will be another update coming when I finally get into some real rain. At this point, I like the product, but don't see a huge difference between it and the spray wax on the back window.. yet. I did order Optimum Clean and Protect to maintain the coating. I'll post another update when I get into some heavier weather.
    Could you share your thoughts on the glass coating after a few months?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Could you share your thoughts on the glass coating after a few months?
    Happy to.

Even though we've only had a couple of "real rains" while I've been driving, I've noticed a major improvement in how the water runs off when it does. In moderate to heavy rain, I haven't really needed the wipers at speeds over 40 MPH.

Where the wipers sweep, they seem to have polished the glass (for lack of a better word), and the water really runs off of those areas.

I use Rain X washer fluid, and Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect to clean the glass when it needs it. After using the Optimum, I do need to buff the windshield with a microfiber as paper towels will still leave streaking that is visible in when driving into the sun or oncoming headlights. However, the windshield does seem easier to clean.

We haven't had the kind of frost that requires scraping yet, but I'll update again when we do.

So far, the McKees Glass Coating has lived up to its promises, and I'll admit, I'm a convert. I'll be applying this to all of my cars from now on.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

8. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Glad to hear. It's really an easy product to use and it performs well. You will like it. You will enjoy how much easier it is to clean the glass.

No need to worry about ghosting and trails. The coating buffs off clean. Wipers glide ride across the glass. Over time it will need to be clayed. Maybe once a year. I have personally clayed DP glass coating without losing the coatings behavior on the glass. Simply refresh and it's good to go again.
    AGREE! Best coating for glass.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    Happy to.
    Thanks!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast