autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing with the new McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer

Hello detailers! I recently got my hands on the McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer and have been busy using it on many different vehicles. This is basically an improved model of the older Detailer's Pro dryer which I had the chance of trying out last year. The improvements include a shoulder strap for more comfortable use and a locking hose that won't accidentally separate from the machine and smack your paint. If you haven't already read Marc's thorough review of the tool and you're looking for a new way to dry your car, you should definitely check this out.

The machine is ready to use out of the box. It has a 6.5HP motor to help it put out a powerful blast of filtered air. The power switch on the side is pretty large and easy to find. Overall the unit feels like a good quality product. The instruction manual actually had a Shop Vac logo on it.

The air hose is 6 feet long and the power cable is a proper 35 feet long. The twist to lock mechanism for the hose works well and feels secure.

The 2 included nozzle attachments offer a wide spread or a more focused stream of air. I prefer the more focused stream personally. There is an included plastic clamp to secure the nozzle attachment onto the hose.

Here is the included shoulder strap. I think it was a nice addition as I don't want to be holding the unit with my other hand the entire time.

The blower has plenty of power. You can easily dry a typical sedan in ten minutes or less. If you have some sort of protection on the car it makes it very to blast the water off. Even large panels are completely dried in just a few seconds. Still, I had no trouble drying my customers neglected cars after a wash and decon. It doesn't have quite as much power as my Master Blaster, but the difference is negligible in my opinion. The Master Blaster is much louder and can be a bit of a pain to setup and move around. The McKee's dryer isn't quiet by any means, but it's nowhere near as bad as some other dryers/blowers.

At first I felt a little odd with the machine running by my side, but I quickly got used to it. If you're working in a cramped space (like between two cars), you can grab the machine by it's handle to avoiding bumping it into things like side view mirrors. I personally like using the unit outside.

Here is my buddy Steve at Ultimate Detailing giving the machine a go on a customer's truck.

Tricky areas like side view mirrors, trim pieces, door handles, emblems, and other tight spaces are easily blasted dry so that you don't get runoff water spots later on.

The more I use it, the more I like it. It actually makes the drying step fun. This thing is really handy if you're like me and do a lot of quick touchless washes. In 15 minutes I can spray down the car with my pressure washer and dry it off with the blower. No risk of marring the paint.

I let some friends give it shot too.

Insanely easy to dry my CQuartz'd Mazda3. I could have sheeted a lot of the water away to make drying faster, but for the sake of demonstration I figured more beads would be better It's a fun tool to use after all.

Overall I really enjoy using this blower. I would like if it was just a bit lighter, but that's hardly an issue considering how quickly drying gets done. It's easier to deal with than my detailing buddy's leaf blower anyways. Some might find the price tag a little hefty, but you can always wait for a sale code.

I'll leave you guys with this video I posted on my blog. Total dry time was less than 5 minutes

Thanks for reading and happy detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Playing with the new McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer

Great review Haris. After Marc's review and now yours, guess I'll have to order one for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review as always Haris! Loved reading your write-up and your action shots are amazing!!

5 minutes to dry the 355?! That's awesome!

I agree that it makes the drying step so much fun. Not to mention, faster and safer. It's a win win no matter what.

This is such an amazing tool and at a great price point relative to its competitors.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Great review Haris. After Marc's review and now yours, guess I'll have to order one for myself.
    Don, DOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Don, DOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!!
    I just ordered. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review, thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I have to say if I was buying a blower today - I would have easily picked this over my Metro Masterblaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I just ordered. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week.
    Sweet! I'm sure you'll love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Beautiful review, documentation, & pictures Harris!

I can imagine that blower really has the Oomph to blow a car dry in short ordeal.

Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast