autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Gyeon Q2M Tire

One last question please Mike:

How do you think the Gyeon compares to Optimum Optibond Tire Gel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    One last question please Mike:

How do you think the Gyeon compares to Optimum Optibond Tire Gel?
    Opti-Bond is pretty good. It also leaves a satin look and can be used undiluted or diluted 1:1. I use it undiluted and the overall performance is pretty good. I think Gyeon lasts a little longer. When it comes to look they are pretty close with opti-bond having a little more sheen to it.

3. Thanks davey g-force thanked for this post
    Likes davey g-force liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Opti-Bond is pretty good. It also leaves a satin look and can be used undiluted or diluted 1:1. I use it undiluted and the overall performance is pretty good. I think Gyeon lasts a little longer. When it comes to look they are pretty close with opti-bond having a little more sheen to it.

Guz...what are your thoughts on Carpro Pearl vs. Gyeon Tire vs. Optibond Tire? I would love to here experiences on product consistency (spray-water based / pump-gel based) and how that factors into ease of application process? Sling potential, Longevity, Multipurpose use?

Thank you.

5. Likes davey g-force liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfenne View Post
    Guz...what are your thoughts on Carpro Pearl vs. Gyeon Tire vs. Optibond Tire? I would love to here experiences on product consistency (spray-water based / pump-gel based) and how that factors into ease of application process? Sling potential, Longevity, Multipurpose use?

Thank you.
    They all work pretty well. Right off the bat for multi purpose use that goes to PERL. Can be used on the exterior and interior. Opti Bond would be next as optimum states it can be used on trim as well as recommending to use it at 1:1 on tires. I never used it on trim. Gyeon is strictly for tires.

All are relatively easy to apply. There is nothing about the application process that is special about these. Typical application process.

In terms of longevity Gyeon takes that and not by much. Perl and Opti-Bond are roughly the same and look and perform about the same with Perl edging out Opti Bond from personal experience. Perl looks the blackest from all of these as it starts to naturally degrade.

If the tire is wiped with removing excess product then sling is not relevant for any of these.

Can't go wrong with either one.

7. Thanks davey g-force thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, davey g-force liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the product like Gyeon recommends? It's supposed to be a 6 months coating... if it fails after a month or two I would not call that a coating. Turtle Wax Endura shine lasts about a year and for the first 6 months the product looks great. Other tire coatings probably perform the same way.

In the case of Endura Shine, it's actually an acrylic Dye that you apply to the tire, that is why it lasts so long. I am not sure a gel can be that durable but I might be wrong. Question is, was it applied correctly (full degreasing of the tire and heat gun dried)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Did you use a hair dryer or heat gun to dry the product like Gyeon recommends? It's supposed to be a 6 months coating... if it fails after a month or two I would not call that a coating. Turtle Wax Endura shine lasts about a year and for the first 6 months the product looks great. Other tire coatings probably perform the same way.

In the case of Endura Shine, it's actually an acrylic Dye that you apply to the tire, that is why it lasts so long. I am not sure a gel can be that durable but I might be wrong. Question is, was it applied correctly (full degreasing of the tire and heat gun dried)?
    You were misinformed thinking it is a 6 month coating. It is not. It has SiO2 in it to increase the durability over a water based tire dressing. Gyeon states on their site the durability is about 5 washes. Realistically 6 weeks is about as long as it can go before it needs to be reapplied.

I have heated it as well but to me it is not a big deal because rain is a non issue for me. Heating up the surface is optional.

If you are questioning whether I applied this correctly then there is no need to worry about that or question that. I've been doing this for a long time so I know how to prep a tire for any sort of tire dressing.

TW Endura Shine is ok but it gives the tire a purplish hue that looks odd.

I recommend you check out this video for more information.

10. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Gyeon Q2M Tire

I’ve never experienced this purple hue that you speak of... I applied TW Endura Tire Coating to these tires earlier tonight, just before sunset... And they don’t look even slightly purple or odd.

Here you can see I had a little drippage due to a virgin applicator.

IMO the TW Endura is the best tire product in the history of mankind. It’s a bloody shame it was discontinued.

12. Thanks davey g-force thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You were misinformed thinking it is a 6 month coating. It is not. It has SiO2 in it to increase the durability over a water based tire dressing. Gyeon states on their site the durability is about 5 washes. Realistically 6 weeks is about as long as it can go before it needs to be reapplied.

I have heated it as well but to me it is not a big deal because rain is a non issue for me. Heating up the surface is optional.

If you are questioning whether I applied this correctly then there is no need to worry about that or question that. I've been doing this for a long time so I know how to prep a tire for any sort of tire dressing.

I recommend you check out this video for more information.

Yes, I know that drying it with a hair dryer or heat gun is optional, but I would think that would be how you would get maximum durability. That is why I asked

Also regarding the prep, I asked if you degreased because you said you don't have to and that for 3 of the tires you only used D143. Did you see a difference in durability between the tire that was degreased and the other ones?

I don't recall where I picked up the info that Q2 was 6 months. I watched 2 videos about Gyeon products latelly, one from Pan the organizer and one from Forensic Detailing... I remember thinking that 6 months was pretty awesome for a product that wasn't a dye. But if it's only 5 washes, then it's not something I am interested at with such a high pricetag. Right now I am using Meguiars All Seaon dressing and it lasts about a month. A gallon is like 30 US$ (maybe more can't remember). So at 28$ for 400 ml, it's about 9 times more expensive to use Q2.

Since it's almost as complicated to use as a tire coating, I think it's a better option to go with an actual coating or stick with a regular dressing... but that is just me. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's almost as complicated to use as a tire coating, I think it's a better option to go with an actual coating or stick with a regular dressing... but that is just me. What do you guys think?
    While a tire coating like TuffShine isn't all that complicated, it sure can be a somewhat arduous task to get the tire completely clean prior to application. That said, worth the effort to me. Used TuffShine on wifes Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires back in August 2016 and it still looks good, albeit summer only driver with about 10k easy miles since application. Can't quite get to the insane gloss levels of some tire dressings with it (if that's what you like) but the stuff sure is durable. Seems to take better to some tires than others; the Michelins took well to it and could get to a greater level of gloss with multiple coats, other tires stopped at a nice sheen no matter how many coats.

FWIW, prior to applying to the Michelins I spent about 8hrs scrubbing off the Zaino tire dressing I had been slopping on there for about 2 years; it sucked quite tremendously but worth it in the end, for me anyway.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know that drying it with a hair dryer or heat gun is optional, but I would think that would be how you would get maximum durability. That is why I asked

Also regarding the prep, I asked if you degreased because you said you don't have to and that for 3 of the tires you only used D143. Did you see a difference in durability between the tire that was degreased and the other ones?

I don't recall where I picked up the info that Q2 was 6 months. I watched 2 videos about Gyeon products latelly, one from Pan the organizer and one from Forensic Detailing... I remember thinking that 6 months was pretty awesome for a product that wasn't a dye. But if it's only 5 washes, then it's not something I am interested at with such a high pricetag. Right now I am using Meguiars All Seaon dressing and it lasts about a month. A gallon is like 30 US$ (maybe more can't remember). So at 28$ for 400 ml, it's about 9 times more expensive to use Q2.

D143 is an effective tire cleaner. Much more than say Super Degreaser. The one tire got an extra cleaning with Tuf Shine after D143 as an extra step to see if D143 did it's job. As long as one gets white suds then the tire is pretty darn clean. Durability is going to be the same as long as the tires are clean.

Not everyone likes a tire coating. Some say it looks unnatural compared to a tire gel. Some also don't want to go through the tedious cleaning regiment to get the tire surgically clean. So a product like this is something to consider. It will produce a more natural look compared to the high shine unnatural look of some tire dressings.

One thing I will mention is that if someone likes a high shine then this is not the product for you.

Meguiar's All Season is ok. Didn't last more than 2 weeks for me and it looks splotchy. Glad I only got a sample of it. I understand the pricing comparison but a little goes a long way with Gyeon Tire. 6-8 weeks is pretty good for a product like this. Rain will of course affect the durability like any tire dressing.

17. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulMys, davey g-force liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123