autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Sonax Rim shield

SONAX Rim Shield is a high tech polymer coating that shields your wheels against brake dust and road grime

So I'm sucker for new products, especially ones that make cleaning easier, especially wheels. I decided to jump on this right away and the can finally came in a couple days ago, so I was chomping at the bit to start the test. I washed the car Friday night after I got home from work but as always, I cleaned the wheels first. I used CG's Sticky Citrus for this because they weren't really too bad. I then did a 3D WW, so the wheels had time to dry but I made sure they were completely dry per the directions. I used a spare mf towel to get around the lugs and I was ready to apply.

What I did was spray around the lugs first, then on out to the edge of the wheel and finally left to right and top to bottom on the spokes. IMO I did apply a liberal amount, so the product had plenty of coverage. Without looking it up there's plenty in the can to do a set of wheels many times over, so its a pretty good value for sure. I DO NOT plan on re-applying after every wash like the directions say and here's why. It states on the can that you can get "up to 6 wks" of protection, so I wanna see how far I can go. I do wash my car alot and use wheel cleaner EVERY time but for this I plan on using the WW or RW in my Quazzer I use for pre-treating of the car when doing a wash to clean the wheels, so nothing harsh is going to be used, even though it states its made to deal with that, so it all balances out IMO.

I have NO pics because all you would see is a clean, treated wheel but I will post pics and comments with the first couple cleanings, along with how the wheels look after driving in the rain for instance, all the things you'd wanna know about this product but if you have specific questions please ask away here so others whom are curious about this product can know more about it, thank you.

Oh and BTW I will really be giving this product the ultimate test in Oct when I head down to the Tail of the Dragon. I have a 650 mile drive to get there, so that's one test. Then once I get there and drive all the roads, another test, a test that will be the "real deal" because the brakes get a massive work out and the wheels get VERY dirty, for this I will be using wheel cleaners without a doubt. I will start with 1 of 2 of my CG products and also the 3D brake dust cleaner and DUB. There may be some time inbetween tests but rest assured, I will not forget about my thread here and will ofcoarse subscribe, once again, thank you!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Rim shield

I just used some today and got some hazing at the bottom of the wheel rim. The instructions said just spray on and leave for an hour but I wasn't comfortable with the way it looked so I buffed them with a microfiber towel. I wonder if I used too much product.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you say it, when I went to leave the morning after I applied it, there was some white "puddling" of the product on my tire. I wiped it off and went on my way. I drove around a while yesterday and no problem.

It does say spray liberally so I suspect either one of us used too much.

We have some stormy weather coming up this week so the test is on!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When it said liberal I thought more is better. Maybe not lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g35trippin View Post
    When it said liberal I thought more is better. Maybe not lol
    How much ran off?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to describe. I have 10.5 inch rims in back and it had a cloudy milky look right in the bottom center of the lip. Those are the only spots I could see due to the lips being polished and the spokes being hyper silver. I guess it kinda looked like the wheel had been wet and the water settled at the bottom and dried. It did seem to buff off fairly easy and since we don't have any rain in sight here in Texas I won't be able to tell about the protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see this compared to Hydro2...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised you use wheel cleaner everytime you wash the car. Soap and water or rinseless is all that is needed when they are sealed.

Keep us updated on the results.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied Ultima PGP+ to my wheels sometime back but I always use wHEEL cleaner, I guess out of habit and also to ensure proper cleaning, also clean my calipers with it too.

I do plan on using RW solution and brushes to clean the wheels, really interested to see how it does!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I do plan on using RW solution and brushes to clean the wheels, really interested to see how it does!

Works great especially since you clean your car often.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast