autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Rim shield

***1ST UPDATE***

So I did a WW on my car today, using BFWW and using the very same pre-treatment to clean the wheels and tires. Its been several days and no rain, yet, but here's the details.

I sprayed a liberal amount to the tire and wheel and it began to break down the amount of dirt and brake dust. I then grabbed my designated mf towel to wipe it clean, just the wHEEL face was done here and it cleaned up very easily. I will say though there's a coat on there for sure because the mf towel was "grabby" while wiping the wHEEL clean. I feel this is going to be the way I'll be able to determine if the coating is holding up.

So far so good, anyone else?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Mine should be here today

Post Thanks / Like

We tested application on a matte black wheel this past weekend and it did NOT turn out well... I had to scrub the wheel to remove it all. The wheel was properly cleaned, and then the Rim Shield was sprayed onto the wheel as described in the instructions. It was about like spraying spray paint... sweeping motions for even coverage.

Initially the wheel was quite wet looking, making the matte finish appear glossy. As it started to dry, some areas returned to their original matte finish while others clearly had streaks/runs from the product.

It appears the product was over applied, though I do not see how I could have gone much lighter. The nozzle seems to dispense an ample amount of product making it difficult to do a light coat. I do not think I will be trying this on other matte or satin finishes after this first experience, but assume it would have turned out fine on a silver painted wheel.

I'll do a full review on the DI AAP Blog including some testing on my wife's car when I get around to it.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Mine should be here today

Nope - wrong item

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that my wheels are a color called "hyper black", I believe its powder coated from the factory and I didn't notice a color issue after cleaning them. I can post pics if need be but they look pretty spot on FWIW. As I post this its getting very dark here, storm is coming, so we'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a short amount of time to play around with it. The directions are dead on, spray it on a completely dry wheel and let it set on its own, do not wipe. If you have water inside of the bolt recesses then it will come leaking out of there immediately on contact with Rim Shield. The beading is awesome after it sets, and for fun I tried spraying another coat on the next day and sprayed the wheel immediately with the mist setting and saw a really cool water reaction. If you wipe it before it sets, you will notice a pretty large reduction of the beading the next time you go to rinse. This was apparent to me especially after spraying it directly on the fender, I wiped it in and rinsed and this caused the panel to rinse extremely flat with nearly no repellency. Had similar results buffing it into the other wheel after applying it. There's still a lot more testing to do, unfortunately I won't have further access to it until next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Loach!

I sprayed mine on and it sat overnight, plenty enough time for it to cure. I'm looking forward to seeing how it cleans with RW and my brush and driving in the rain to see this beading your talking about, thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just got home a little bit ago and it was raining and I tried to take a pic of the wheels but the flash was crazy but I can tell you they were almost bone dry, so far so good 👍

Post Thanks / Like

***2ND UPDATE***

So today I used WGU RW to clean my wheels and tires. I simply sprayed the tires and wheels down real good and used my feather duster to clean the barrels and spokes. I then dried them off and they came out GREAT! I DID NOT have the grabby mf towel this time, so the way it felt might have just been how it is when you first apply the product and do your first cleaning. I just felt the wHEEL and you can certainly feel "something" there. I should also say the WGU RW did bead up and also beaded up when I rinsed them, yes, I rinsed RW from the barrels and face of the wHEEL and then dried.

Looking forward to hearing others results, so when it's time, please post about it👈

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I'm simply in LOVE with WGU RW!!!! So glad I listened to you on ordering it. I have two black lincoln navigators I wash 2-4times a month for clients and man does it work good.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast