autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results

Hello Everyone,

I cleaned my engine 3 weeks ago. These pictures are as it is right now 3 weeks later. The benefit to this is you can see the Black On Black dressing has held up!

I don't have a picture of the before. It wasn't super dirty anyway. Car had 1.5 years of dirt in the engine. So not that bad. This review is more focused on the long term results of the Black On Black Dressing.

I used Orange Degreaser (Diluted 6:1)
    Used Butter Wet Wax to clean off heavy grim (greasy type stuff) It works really well for this kind of thing. Tough paint stains!
    After the cooling cycle on the engine. I applied Black On Black Dressing.

Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results-20160416_184237-jpg
    Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results-20160416_184247-1-jpg
    Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results-13010837_10209276447729292_8817478245678053156_n-jpg
    Product: Black On Black
    Pros:
    Easy to spray and get a smooth layer of dressing
    You can buff it off a bit before it drys to reduce the shine. (I did this) it is a bit too shiny as is.
    Price - I think it is priced perfectly at about $10USD a can
    Seems to last a very long time !

Cons:
    It goes fast, but that is not really a con.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results

I've used it and it's a good product but way to expensive.

I'm using the Blackfire product now:

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Bay Cleaning: Chemical Guys: Black On Black Dressing - Long Term Results

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I'm use the Blackfire product now:

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner
    Great product right here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I'm use the Blackfire product now:

Yep, Backfire All-In-One Trim & Tire is excellent for engine bays (just did my Z4's engine today in fact). However, I do still use some sort of aerosol dressing for hard to reach areas and corrugated materials.

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago I started using BF AIO trim and tire...wow! I love this product!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the chemical guys black on black on most of my vehicles. It lasts really well. I have a new bottle of the BF product sitting in the garage. Look forward to giving it a try. Phil

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the BF AIO trim and tire product also be used an a interior protectant as well, i.e dash and other interior trim? Trying to minimize products and looking for something that will cover everything (tires, exterior & interior plastics/trim)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljbrandt View Post
    Can the BF AIO trim and tire product also be used an a interior protectant as well, i.e dash and other interior trim? Trying to minimize products and looking for something that will cover everything (tires, exterior & interior plastics/trim)
    I don't think it's intended for interior use. I only use it on tires and wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kesmit View Post
    I don't think it's intended for interior use. I only use it on tires and wheel wells.
    Oh yeah, and engine bays.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, your engine does look great. Nice job there.

However, I have used this product and it's overpriced for what it is. Megiuar's D4510 is a nicer product (also aerosol) and about 1/2 the price.

Engines don't see much water - this is what kills most dressings. I would expect even the lowest durability dressing to last several months.

So, when you run out of this stuff, try D4510 for like $6.50 a can - and let us know. D4510 also has an adjustable sprayer, which is the first I've even seen on an aerosol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk