autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys Polishing Pads

My wife and I have a part time detailing business which we started this year. We have been off the hook busy with customers and going through pads like crazy. Currently been using Lake County foam pads, yellow, orange, green, etc and they have been holding up decent.

I recently decided to give Chemical Guys a try on their cutting pads, orange. I have tried several different kinds of foam pads and I have to tell you, THEY $uck! The backing of the velcro pulls apart after a few rounds with it. I can't even make it through half a car without the pads getting jacked up.

It seems to mostly occur when I'm on speed setting 6 with my Porter Cable 7424 using the orange pads. The CG pads heat up and pull apart. I even bought that new quad pad with the hole in it to reduce heat. That didn't do $hit, it still pulled apart. They suck.

I have had Lake County pads sometimes do that but for the most part they hold up. I need something very durable for pads and will last. Any recommendations on pads or should I stick with Lake County foam pads. I need good cutting pads and all in one pads for cleaner waxes.

Any guidance would be great. Stay away from CG pads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Polishing Pads

This was one GC Pad after one three minute pass. The very first pass I made on the car.

This is the crap that happens like half way through a job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chemical Guys Polishing Pads-1462938444016-jpg   Chemical Guys Polishing Pads-1462938472635-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Well that leaves with the Megs pads that are very durable available in 3 cuts and the Buff & Shine pads. However, I'm pretty sure the CG pads are made by B&S. The HEX ones are only made for CG.

Sounds like you may be putting too much downward force on the polisher. Is the backing plate spinning while you're correcting?. Sounds like you are making the polisher act like a grinder with just the random oscillations doing the work and no polishing action from the spinning pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Well that leaves with the Megs pads that are very durable available in 3 cuts and the Buff & Shine pads. However, I'm pretty sure the CG pads are made by B&S. The HEX ones are only made for CG.

Sounds like you may be putting too much downward force on the polisher. Is the backing plate spinning while you're correcting?. Sounds like you are making the polisher act like a grinder with just the random oscillations doing the work and no polishing action from the spinning pad.
    I didn't think I was putting much pressure on it. At least I don't think I am. I was really careful not to and yes it was spinning. Do

Do the micro fiber pads cut better than foam pads? Are the buff and shine pads good. I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the flex 3401

Post Thanks / Like

I had a rupes 21 mkii (I say had because it was stolen) and I normally use either rupes pads, or lake country pads. I have yet to experience any separation with the rupes or lake country pads. I use the thin-pro pads and hydro-tech. I've had some issue with the blue rupes pad but all the other pads have been great to me. Once I have enough $$ to replace my rupes I'm gonna invest in the new buff and shine uro-tec. They seem like they're similar in design to the rupes and if that's the case and offer great durability I might just make switch to that to my arsenal.

As far as microfiber pads go, I love the Meguiars microfiber pads that go along with the D300. You can achieve a great amount of correction and that combo finishes so well.

I've used hexalogic pads in the past and experienced the same issue, but not so prematurely. I'm glad I had only purchased just a couple of pads. How many pads do you use for each step? Could be your using the same pad extensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usmcpab View Post
    I had a rupes 21 mkii (I say had because it was stolen) and I normally use either rupes pads, or lake country pads. I have yet to experience any separation with the rupes or lake country pads. I use the thin-pro pads and hydro-tech. I've had some issue with the blue rupes pad but all the other pads have been great to me. Once I have enough $$ to replace my rupes I'm gonna invest in the new buff and shine uro-tec. They seem like they're similar in design to the rupes and if that's the case and offer great durability I might just make switch to that to my arsenal.

As far as microfiber pads go, I love the Meguiars microfiber pads that go along with the D300. You can achieve a great amount of correction and that combo finishes so well.

I've used hexalogic pads in the past and experienced the same issue, but not so prematurely. I'm glad I had only purchased just a couple of pads. How many pads do you use for each step? Could be your using the same pad extensively.
    I had ordered a handful of CG pads and each one fell apart after one use. They $uck. I have had much better luck with Lake County foam pads. They have held up way way way better.

I do feel I'm not getting the correction results and perhaps I need a more aggressive pad. I'm going to step up to the micro fiber cutting pads. I have read some great reviews and its said they correct paint much better than foam pads.

Just now I pulled the trigger on the Flex 3401 from Auto Geek. Got the HD model with the 25 foot heavy duty cord. I just did a full detail and paint correction job yesterday for a customer that had a black Infiniti G35. The paint was rough I tell ya. Lots of surface scratches, swirls and heavy oxidation on tbr roof.

It took me 6.5 hours using my PC 7424 XP to due the paint correction. At the end I still wasn't happy with my results. The customer was happy but I wasn't. I should of been able to get the correction done in 3 to 4 hours. I had to go over areas with compound 3 or 4 times.

I need something to cut much faster! I'm hoping the Flex 3401 along with the new micro fiber cutting pads will be a world of difference with results.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

You need Blue Foamed Wool with the 3401 not MF. MF works well on free air machines like Rupes/Griots etc.

Post Thanks / Like

This is good to know, was gonna order some. What size backing plate do you use? And what size pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lake country,buff and shine and carpro👍

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhohitsstevo View Post
    This is good to know, was gonna order some. What size backing plate do you use? And what size pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use the std 5.5" BP with the LC 6" Blue Foamed Wool.
    Also,the BnS Low Pro's work better on the 3401 than the LC Foam Hybrids pads but you will need the 4 3/8 bp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post
    Lake country,buff and shine and carpro��
    Yep those are the best pad brands available.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast