autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant

First post, but I've been reading on here quite a bit. Lot of information and experts!

The Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant I was very excited to try as my new RS7 has contrast stitching on the seats, and I was looking for something that would seal them so the stitching wouldn't get ruined over time. I've read all the rave reviews on autogeek so I ordered a bottle immediately after I got the car.

Manufacturer claims: Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant is non-greasy, non-oily and it dries fast after application. Perfect for all plastic, rubber, vinyl and leather surfaces.

When I got the bottle in I was very excited, however opening it caused me concern. The smell was horrific, so bad I almost discarded it immediately. Very very chemical like smell, not typically something I would put IN my car, maybe exterior, but inside products shouldn't be so harsh. However, I had read such glowing reviews I thought I'd press ahead and give it a test run on my back door. Unfortunately the smell changed the smell of my car, from new car to a chemical dump for about 24 hours with doing that one panel. I'm not trying to be harsh, but seriously it is some very nasty stuff, and when you have a new car you want to preserve that new car smell for as long as you can. Fortunately the smell faded away after 24 hours, but my new car smell officially went with it. When it applied it looked smooth, but it dried very splotchy and changed the color of my black leather from black to dark grey (see the photo 24 hours after application).

Area on the right side of the green line is the original black, everything left and above that had the wolfgang cockpit sealer applied to it, changing it from a black to dark grey.

I was told the blotchiness might be due to over applying, but support had no explanation for the color change. Also the smell is what it is, no changing that. Very disappointed with this product. I was able to clean most of the Wolfgang off the panel, but it's still slightly discolored and, the stink from the product killed my new car smell. It might be fine for lighter leathers, but I'd recommend staying away if you have a darker leather. Overall I give it two big thumbs down.
    Car enthusiast, here to learn. 2015 Audi RS7.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant

I've been attached to this product because it works so well, and much better than others in the same class. If you get to the bottom of this, let us know please.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. Kind of scary on a new car!! Really shocked since it's a WG product. The color change would have freaked me out!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I've been attached to this product because it works so well, and much better than others in the same class. If you get to the bottom of this, let us know please.
    Yeah I was pretty dismayed by it as well. As you can see it did a number on my Audi black leather. I'm not going to try it again, too worried on what it will do now. Will be looking for something else to protect it.

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do the prep the area prior? any apc wipe down? I've used this stuff a ton over the years, dark interiors, leathers you name it, no issue like this. never seen this weird issue. And fwiw it always has a funky chemical smell. But for it to be that overwhelming, by chance did you over apply? it should take like one or two sprays at most to cover a large area, its spreads far and thin.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't sound right at all. Maybe it's a bad bottle? Smell can be subject but it from the sounds of it, it is way too overwhelming. I've been a huge fan of WG products but have never used WG cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    What did you do the prep the area prior? any apc wipe down? I've used this stuff a ton over the years, dark interiors, leathers you name it, no issue like this. never seen this weird issue. And fwiw it always has a funky chemical smell. But for it to be that overwhelming, by chance did you over apply? it should take like one or two sprays at most to cover a large area, its spreads far and thin.
    I followed the directions on the bottle, but I didn't apply any pre-cleaner to the area. I probably should have done that just in case, but the leather didn't appear to have any other coatings on it. You can see it took more constantly to the armrest area, but it also turned that area dark grey instead of black. Maybe I got a bad bottle? Maybe mixed incorrectly or something, the smell is off the charts chemical like, and I haven't read that complaint in more than one or two other reviews. In fact 95% of the other reviews I read were very good, that's why I bought the product. This is an expensive car so I wasn't trying to go cheap, rather go with the best....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrio View Post
    This doesn't sound right at all. Maybe it's a bad bottle? Smell can be subject but it from the sounds of it, it is way too overwhelming. I've been a huge fan of WG products but have never used WG cockpit.
    Just did a write-up on 3 other wolfgang products. They were all good to great, this one was an anomaly, so maybe it was a bad bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be totally freaking out right now...do you have any other leather/interior cleaner on hand? Maybe try a small area to see if you can "fix" it a bit?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used zaino leather cleaner on it since the photo. It's better, still spotty, but thankfully it's in the back seat so I don't have to look at it every day. I'll have to try another round of cleaning tomorrow night and see if it comes cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast