autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and How-To: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

In time, soap and foam will seem barbaric.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    In time, soap and foam will seem barbaric.
    Well we still need soap...to wash ourselves, LOLReview and How-To: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Well I've used several RW's over the years, ONR, DG, TW, ONRWW, BF and now the WGU. I've never had an issue with any of the previous products but this WGU dries a lot easier and you can really see the added shine left behind. I still have 2 bottles of TW, over a half gallon of ONRWW and about 1/3 of a gallon of DG, so needless to say I'm stocked up. I also have the new and improved BFWW and now this WGU product, I can never say I have nothing to clean my car with.

As I lost this I just made up 96 ounces of the WGU as a waterless, so I'll post about that in about an hour, stay "tuned".

Dries easier? Can you explain what you mean? To me drying has always been about the towels and LSP so I'm curious.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's kinda cool down in the garage and the WGU just dried faster for me. I use the same GG large waffle drying towels with all my washes and this is what I've seen during the past 2 days of using this product as both a RW and a WW.

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

does this stuff have any hydrophobic properties to it?.... like if I applied it to a bare panel, even though it leaves no protection behind but does increase gloss would it also bead and sheet?
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Mike Phillips

Post SEMA Catch-up day

Sorry for the late replay, kind of busy the last week...

SEMA Day 1 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 2 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 3 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 4 with Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

I just noticed that this product is not listed in the Waterless Wash product section of the store for some reason. You have to find it in the Wolfgang section.

Waterless car wash products, ecotouch waterless wash, griots waterless wash, optimum onr, automotive waterless car wash

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TRDTACO View Post

Amazing as always. I was on the fence for trying a rinseless wash but after seeing this post and seeing how easy it is to do im going to give it a try. Thanks Mike.

Anyway you could break down how much to use as a quick detailer or clay lube for a 32oz bottle.

I saw you had it broke down by the gallon but I would see myself just mixing a 32oz spray bottle at a time for the clay lube or quick detailer.
    Edited for corrections for dillutions

32 ounces is quart so cut the concentrate amount by one fourth - that would be,

1/4 ounce for clay lube
    3/4 ounce for spray detailer

I think the above is correct I'm not a numbers geek but a car geek.

Also would doing a 2 bucket, 1 with ww and 1 fresh water be ok or would it water the solution down too much?

Tank you Sir
    That would be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post

As always great review Mike!, a versatile product, used one of four ways makes it very economical, way cool!

Will you do a post of the compounding and polishing of the Dart GT?
    Of course... here's why I brought in a very cool muscle car...

New Flex Tool XFE 7 - 15mm Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post

Mike - is there anything left behind? do you think this would interfere with the hydrophobic properties of a CQUK coated car?
    I like to put things in extremes for questions like this to make it easy to understand.

The Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash will leave behind more than an alcohol wipe down.

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

I'm seeing one bucket methods more and more with rinseless washes. I figure it might not be "recommended" but is it considered safe?
    Everyone will have their own technique for what works best for them and that's what's really important.

My normal method for using a rinseless wash is to fill the bucket up with clean microfiber towels and use one towel at at time. Then after using the towel place in a second bucket to take to the washing machine to wash and dry them for the next use.

This is also the method I teach in my 3-day ACR classes.

Nick asked me to try out the new rinseless wash mitt that he's very fond of and in so doing I also just used one bucket for the rinseless wash.

Normally for cars like I work on I use waterless washes as they are my preferred method but I will add that a rinseless wash does tend to provide more liquid to the surface and thus more lubrication and cleaning.

Besides that most of the cars I'm washing I'm washing because I'm going to buff out the paint so my main concern is removing any surface dirt not being careful.

When I wash a car to be careful it's usually my truck or the wife's Mercedes and then I use a foam gun with running water to rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by John@StreamlineAutoCare View Post

Mike, is this the same mixing solutions as the samples sent out by Nick?
    If northing's changed then the answer is "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post

Great review as always, but I didn't see you mention the most important thing. What does it smell like?
    Cherry and it's delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSTguy View Post

I'm also curious if this has gloss enhancers like most of the rinseless washes out there. One other question. Were you using the new mf mitt Auto Geek recently started selling? How do you like it vs the chenille wash mitts?
    I like it because it's soft and plush but my preferred method of using a rinseless wash is to use simple microfiber towels soaking in the bucket of rinseless wash. Some people call this the Gary Dean method but Mike aka Setec Astronomy once told me there was another guy that actually started this method years before Gary. I don't know for sure as I never did the research to find out if this was accurate. I trust Mike's word but again I never looked it up to find out what the real story is but one thing I always do is give due credit where credit is due.

So I don't know who came up with placing microfiber towels into a bucket of rinseless wash and then after using one towel placing it aside and grabbing a clean/soaking towel for the next panel but I believe this makes sense. Especially if you're doing a maintenance wash.

Quote Originally Posted by hollerstiltner View Post

Since we all know the product is going to be outstanding, I have some process questions.

1. Do you pretreat the panel with solution like many here do?
    I didn't for this car but think it's a good idea for dirtier cars.

2. I see you using the 530gsm towels to dry. Do they offer an advantage over my usual cobra guzzler waffle weave in this application?
    You can use either. I do like the plush mega-million fibers of the 530 to both absorb liquids and provide a place for any dirt particles to bury into.

3. How do you prefer to handle stubborn bugs doing a rinseless?
    Place a microfiber towel that's saturated with the rinseless wash onto the dried bug or bugs and then work on another part of the car and let the water soak into the dead, dry bug guts and soften them for me to make it easier and safer to remove them.

I think I have an article from around the year 2005 on this somewhere.

Thank you for the write up/review! This too will probably end up in my garage lol.

Chris
    No problem Chris.

I think I'm into about 45 minutes so far replying to all the questions in this thread using the multi-quote option in vBulletin.

It's Monday and I'm back into the office after SEMA so I'm playing catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post

Thanks for the great review!

Just grabbed a bottle of this from the sale along with a small pot of the SSII and can't wait to use it.

I've never done RW before and can't wait to try it out, but I have done WW with Ecosmart.

How does the Uber do at WW?
    To be honest I have not used it this way as of yet. It's a brand new product and I was asked to use it as the name on the label implies.

I do tend to use waterless washes the most for the majority of my detailing work so I will use it this way in the future and post a review.

Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

Just purchased the 64oz jug on sale. Can't wait to try it. Excellent "how-to" Mike.
    Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

Please explain why you elected to go with just the one bucket - is the 2 BM overkill? What if your car has more road grime/salt on it, a common thing heading into winter here in the upper Midwest?

Thanks
    I think I answered this previously in this mega-reply and also while I was at SEMA but here's the jist of my answer...

I prefer to use multiple towels soaking in the bucket of rinseless wash. This just makes the best sense to me. I also teach this approach in my 3-day ACR Classes.

My choice, I work on a lot of cool cars, muscle cars, classics, customs with a K and streetrods. I prefer to work on these types of cars and I've always noticed all of our TV Hero's also work on these types of cars. Nothing against daily drivers it's just they don't have the excitement and appeal as special interest vehicles.

For the type of cars I work on I normally use a waterless wash and that's because these types of cars are NOT 4-wheel drive, muddy. Thus I can get away with a waterless wash and to me a waterless wash is fast and easy and doesn't make the water mess of all other option.

I also as a "best practice" don't introduce water to cars where rust is an issue. This is my way of being a professional and also a professional courtesy to the guys that trust me with their cars.

As for one bucket or two buckets I think if you're going to use the wash mitt approach than you can use either one or two buckets but two buckets for sure will be safer especially if you're doing a maintenance wash. If you're going to buff the car out then the two bucket approach is still a better approach but one bucket will get you by.

So yeah... for most people using the single wash media approach use two buckets. For me... I'll probably stick with using a waterless wash for most of my work.

There's a seat for every person out there and each of us can find what we like the best, what works the best and then perfect out own technique and method to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post

This is exactly why I use micro fiber towels for my rinseless washes. No contaminated wash media EVER renters my wash bucket.
    I agree.

I was asked to showcase the new product and also the new wash mitt but normally I'll place about 12 to 15 microfiber towels into a bucket and draw out saturated towels as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post

I use one bucket, but would never use only one mitt/towel. I still can't get my head around putting dirty media into the bucket of solution.

Mike P has probably forgotten more about detailing than I'll ever know, so it's a preference thing.
    Sometimes it also depends on the car and how dirty it is or isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

It's true what you said about Mike P for sure, no doubt about it but if your saying you use 1 bucket but multiple wash mitts and/or wash media then that's fine because it's basically the GD method.

That said, no one can convince me that re-inserting dirty wash media into the wash media is a good idea, even if you do scrub said media on the grit guard grill, sorry.
    See my answers above...

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post

Great review with great pictures.
    Thank you. And since the photos are hosted on the AGO forum an not Photobucket or some other picture hosting site they are here to stay. Also each one is resized to 800 pixels wide so they show up perfectly on any electronic device and no one ever has to horizontal scroll.

3 questions Mike:

Which wash method do you use the most now days? Waterless/rinseless/traditional?
    For my own vehicles I do this,

1. Wheels and tires first with water hose, Iron X. Car wash soap for my truck's tires and tire cleaner for the low profile tires on the wife's Mercedes.
    2. Iron X on the paint
    3. Foam gun and wash with Alien Worm Wash Mitts
    4. Rinse
    5. Re-foam and Cobra Clay Mitt
    6. Re-rinse and dry

For my customer's cars and for project cars most of what I do is waterless washes unless the car is a daily driver then a traditional wash like I describe above, that is

1. Wheels and tires first
    2. Iron X
    3. Foam gun
    4. Rinse
    5. Foam gun plus Cobra Clay mitt
    6. Rinse and dry

If I'm using the Cobra clay mitt then I'm usually already planning on doing at least one machine polishing step to the vehicle. For my truck I use a one-step cleaner/wax as it is parked outside 24 x 7

When doing a rinseless wash, do you ever incorporate claying with the wash process?
    Wash, clay, dry?
    No.

Or you could go around the car and wash without drying, then clay using solution in a spray bottle as lube. That would eliminate a drying step.
    Those options to me sound like a recipe for potentially scratching the paint. Instead after washing and drying the car I will tend to use a Nanoskin pad on a DA Polisher.

For example my last 4 detail jobs were all waterless washes and one rinseless wash and then Nanoskin by machine or towels by hand for places I could not get a 6" Nanoskin pad.

Have you done chemical decontamination with a rinseless/waterless wash?
    No. I would if I had to but so far I've never had to as we are not under water restrictions here in Florida so I use products like Iron X with a hose and running water to rinse off the residues.

Quote Originally Posted by blown03 View Post

This question was asked I think but not answered , is it Coating safe as it wont effect the life span or Hydrophobic properties of coatings no matter their chemical make up ?
    Yes and no. It won't hurt or harm the coating in an of itself. If you wash your car with a brick the brick will harm the coating and the paint so stick with soft wash media.

It does impart gloss and that would be from some form of gloss enhancers and anytime you put "something" on or over the coating you then get the characteristics of the product on the coating and not the coating.

This goes for people that want to apply a Carnauba wax over a coating. The Carnauba was won't harm the coating but you no longer get the characteristics of the coating but of the Carnauba wax.

I keep our Mercedes coated, normally with Black Label Surface Coating but recently we used Blackfire Paint Coating. For maintenance I use Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Detailer and Booster and both work great.

Quote Originally Posted by blown03 View Post
    For example , UWW+ is said to leave polymers behind that can/do /may effect the coating's sheeting ability . Its my present go to but if WG RW is coating safe , we may be changing to it ......Hope I made sense ....

Yes you made sense and yes the Wolfgang Rinseless wash will leave "something" behind on the surface to make the paint glossy but in my opinion it will be so little that it's really a non-factor to me as I would place the importance cleaning a dirty car as the primary important factor not what the product leaves behind.

Great questions everyone...

Took a few minutes to type out all the replies hope I answered everyone's questions and concerns.

Thanks for the Awesome write up Mike P. Love those wheels on that Dart .

Post Thanks / Like

DP's rinseless solution is very similar and can be diluted to make different products as well. I've been using it for a while and it's worked out very well, but this great write up is making me want to try out Wolfgang's version. For anyone who knows, how do the two compare?

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing as always. I was on the fence for trying a rinseless wash but after seeing this post and seeing how easy it is to do im going to give it a try. Thanks Mike.

Anyway you could break down how much to use as a quick detailer or clay lube for a 32oz bottle.

I saw you had it broke down by the gallon but I would see myself just mixing a 32oz spray bottle at a time for the clay lube or quick detailer.

Edited for corrections for dillutions

32 ounces is quart so cut the concentrate amount by one fourth - that would be,

1/4 ounce for clay lube
    3/4 ounce for spray detailer

I think the above is correct I'm not a numbers geek but a car geek.

32 oz is a quart so ratio is incorrect. Btw, just tried the product and was first time using RW technique - like it. Have not ever done WW so will try that next. Thanks for a great product.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast