autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

Anyone bother to Install the rubber flex pad or washer? I initially did neither so far

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Anyone bother to Install the rubber flex pad or washer? I initially did neither so far
    I tested mine out today, put the 5" plate on my 21 with the washer. It cranked out, but it's a waste of the machines potential with a 5" backing plate. I'm going to primarily use mine with the 6" plate and the GG pads.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for u guys who have the boss. How difficult is it to. Change the backing plate? I put the washer on and it took me maybe 7 mins of tinkering.

Second question if the washer in on it. Do I still need to grease the backing plate.

Third question is when or how will I know when it's time to change the brushes?

I feel like there was more but I can't remember

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    I have a question for u guys who have the boss. How difficult is it to. Change the backing plate? I put the washer on and it took me maybe 7 mins of tinkering.

Second question if the washer in on it. Do I still need to grease the backing plate.

Third question is when or how will I know when it's time to change the brushes?

I feel like there was more but I can't remember
    Changing the BP is pretty easy, it can be a little tricky with the washer because the bearing spins so easily on you. Once you get the hang of it swapping them out only takes a few seconds.

No need for the grease with the washer in.

It should be a while before you'd need to replaces the brushes. When the time comes the motor will usually sound funny, power will cut out, and it may smell funny too. Unless you're using it full time it should be a couple years before they need changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    My G15 arrived today and it certainly is a beast. Anyone who was a skeptic will change their mind once they get their hands on one. Smooth as silk even with a Buff & Shine pad. Fit and finish are superb and I can see the variable speed trigger saving allot of time.

Worst thing I can say is the tee shirts run small--should have gotten a large.

BTW: Has anyone figured out a good way to mark a black backing plate--black permanent marker line certainly isn't going to work.
    Since our BOSS Vented Backing Plates use black urethane, I use a contrasting color like this Sharpie Silver Paint Pen...
    Jeff from Griot's Garage- Product Developer
    Car Care for the Perfectionist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    My G15 arrived today and it certainly is a beast. Anyone who was a skeptic will change their mind once they get their hands on one. Smooth as silk even with a Buff & Shine pad. Fit and finish are superb and I can see the variable speed trigger saving allot of time.

Worst thing I can say is the tee shirts run small--should have gotten a large.

BTW: Has anyone figured out a good way to mark a black backing plate--black permanent marker line certainly isn't going to work.
    I was thinking white out.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I tested mine out today, put the 5" plate on my 21 with the washer. It cranked out, but it's a waste of the machines potential with a 5" backing plate. I'm going to primarily use mine with the 6" plate and the GG pads.
    Id like to hear more of you thoughts on this

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Changing the BP is pretty easy, it can be a little tricky with the washer because the bearing spins so easily on you. Once you get the hang of it swapping them out only takes a few seconds.

It should be a while before you'd need to replaces the brushes. When the time comes the motor will usually sound funny, power will cut out, and it may smell funny too. Unless you're using it full time it should be a couple years before they need changing.
    Chad thank you for the responce, you are a gentlemen and a scholar!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Yes but at a failed attempt to correct glass
    2nd go around shall be successful as i now have the correct procedure thanks to a forum members review thread
    I have a few cars to try my fort corrections on also
    will be starting off with the griot orange pads

A little off topics, but wanted to address the best Griot's Garage approach for glass. For glass, I'd suggest staying away from a Long-Throw and using a 8mm GG6 configured with our 6" Glass Pads

Like anything, I'll always start with the least invasive approach, speed 2-3 with Fine Glass Polish and if a heavy cut is needed, move up to the heavier Glass Polish.

I've used these on some of the most severe water spotting and returned the glass to crystal clear.

They have medium working cycle and will wipe off with a swipe of a towel. They do tend to powder a bit, but wipe up easy with Window Cleaner. We'd recommend sealing with our Glass Sealant. I've personally seen this to last in MN for over 6 months...delivering insane water beading.

For a quick demo with super sweet background music...check out:
    https://youtu.be/DqDuCYBGE2c
    Jeff from Griot's Garage- Product Developer
    Car Care for the Perfectionist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

Changing the focus to pads:
    Could you do a comparitive analysis of the BOSS' new thin foam pads to the other offerings that Rupes/LC HD/Meguiars thin foam discs offer?
    Basically to get an idea of where the pad's cut/finish scale is at, incase people using Rupes want to use BOSS' pads...

Would the BOSS' aggressive pads (white/orange) finishing almost LSP ready like most of the aggressive pads these days tend to finish with diminishing abrasives ?

Would the Rupes BP fit perfectly on these pads without causing any additional heating due to the hook n loop incompatibility ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post
    Changing the focus to pads:
    Could you do a comparitive analysis of the BOSS' new thin foam pads to the other offerings that Rupes/LC HD/Meguiars thin foam discs offer?
    Basically to get an idea of where the pad's cut/finish scale is at, incase people using Rupes want to use BOSS' pads...

Would the BOSS' aggressive pads (white/orange) finishing almost LSP ready like most of the aggressive pads these days tend to finish with diminishing abrasives ?

Would the Rupes BP fit perfectly on these pads without causing any additional heating due to the hook n loop incompatibility ?
    Honestly, I can't give a real comparitive analysis on all of them as I haven't done side by side testing with any of the Rupes pads or the LC HD pads. I do have a general review on the Griot's pads and liquids here if that helps. IMO they would be closest to the Megs new foam discs, but with the addition of one more foam choice. I would put the Megs burgundy pad right between the Griot's orange and white pad. The white pad should have a little more cut and still finish very well, similar the the CarPro Flash pad. The Orange should offer good cut as well and finish LSP ready on most paints with the Correct Cream. The white pad will likely still leave some light DA haze, but should be less that what MF pads typically leave behind.

The Rupes BP will mount up, just ensure there is addiquate gap between the shroud and the BP...I would suggest using the washer if you go with a Rupes BP. I don't know about the actual Velcro difference between the 2 plates, but Rupes has been working very well for almost 3 years now so I don't see there being any new heat issues, though the Griot's machines will likely rotate faster so just keep an eye on pad temps. A few testers have been using the Rupes plates without issue.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky do you use any menzerna polishes? Just curious where fg400 would line up in the BOSS system.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast