autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

DP Quick Coat - 1994 Alfa Romeo - Full Paint Correction and Coating

DP Quick Coat - 1994 Alfa Romeo - Full Paint Correction and Coating

Last week I posted the pictures showing how I used RaggTopp to waterproof and restore a crisp look the the original factory canvas convertible top.

Here's the link,

RaggTopping a 1994 Alfa Romeo Spider

Besides cleaning and protecting the canvas top, I also did a full paint correction and sealing of the original factory paint. I had recently used and reviews a new product in the DP line and to be honest, the silver metallic paint on the car I used for that review was a tick on the boring side. Nothing personal intended to anyone that owns a car with a silver metallic paint finish, it's just this color is on the light side of the paint color spectrum and simply doesn't *p0p* like other colors.

So when I did the paint correction and sealing of the paint on the Alpha I used the same products only this time on a vibrant, rich red color.

Here's the car when it arrived. From this angle, standing back about 10 feet or so the car looks good, at least the paint is shiny.

Topical Glass Polishing

Like most of my write-ups, I try to include a picture showing the glass gets polished. This is TOPICAL glass polishing and all of us should be doing this type of glass polishing on every car we detail. Glass gets a gunge on it just like the rest of the car over time. Mechanically polishing the glass not only removes any film off the glass, (like road film), but it also adds to the "total look" of the finished detail job.

Here's after wiping the polish off...

The final results start with proper prep work.

Products, tool and pads used...

Not pictured is the FLEX Supa BEAST, which I used to remove the worst defects in the paint.

Final results...

Alfa Spider Duetto

Here's the Alfa Romeo marque emblem on the hood of the car. See where it says, Spider Duetto?

I don't know the full story but I'm sure someone at RUPES could share it but this is where the RUPES Duetto gets its name,

The 1968 MGB GT in the background was also detailed using DP products.

Review: DP Ceramic Paint Sealant

And a couple of full-sun parting shots...

Comments...

While it was the compounding and polishing i.e. the prep step that took this car from a diamond in the rough to a glistening gemstone, it is the DP Quick Coat that took the results over the top to create a deep, wet shine that explodes the red color. This is a Garage Queen that's only driven on sunny days and my guess is it's rarely washed but instead maintained with a spray detailer. As such, the DP Quick Coat should last for years.

Two-Towel Application Technique

Like I shared in the original review for the DP Quick Coat, (sorry no pictures showing the two towel technique for this detailing project as there was no one else around to take the pictures), the two-towel application and removal technique makes application and removal fast. It probably took me 30 minutes to seal the paint on this car using the DP Quick Coat using the two towel technique. The hardest parts are the lower panels and for these I simply sit my butt on the ground and scoot around the car so I'm always looking across from the paint I'm treating. A car lift would make this so much easier and faster.

Just to note, while the technique is called the two towel technique, you actually need a few more towels. The towel you apply with you use for the entire car and this is because you want this towel DAMP with product to make application fast and easy. But you change out the second towel, the wipe-off towel 3-5 times as you work around the car because a dry towel simply removes product better than a towel that has product on it.

The final look is dripping wet...

On Autogeek.com

DP Quick Coat

DP Compound

DP Polish

2. Thanks ollever, Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes ollever, Dan Tran liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: DP Quick Coat - 1994 Alfa Romeo - Full Paint Correction and Coating

Further resources...

Before doing the paint correction and coating, I machine compound and polished the plastic back window and then cleaned and protected the canvas convertible cloth top.

RaggTopping a 1994 Alfa Romeo Spider

Post Thanks / Like

Still one of the prettiest cars ever built IMHO!
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    What pads did you use? It looks like maybe an LC Orange flat pad but, I don't recognize the yellow one. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NSM View Post
    Mike,
    What pads did you use? It looks like maybe an LC Orange flat pad but, I don't recognize the yellow one. Thanks!
    Mike isn’t really around anymore but that looks like a Rupes yellow foam pad released in the last 2 years.