autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: IGL ecoclean MULTI Soy-based All Purpose Cleaner - 1969 Buick GS Convertible

Review: IGL ecoclean MULTI Soy-based All Purpose Cleaner - 1969 Buick GS Convertible

IGL ecoclean MULTI

What is it?

An all-purpose cleaner that uses natural soy bean oil and citrus oil as a base for cleaning.

What does it do?

Safely and effectively cleans any surface - safely.

When do I use it?

Anytime or any place you need or want to clean a surface.

Why should I use it?

To remove dirt, stains, grime etc safely off of any surface.

From the manufacturer

Clean any mess off any surface!

IGL Ecoclean Multi is a powerful, all-purpose cleaner that provides you with the perfect answer to many different difficult messes that collect on your various vehicle surfaces. IGL Ecoclean Multi uses a soy base and effective citrus cleaner agents that are safe for nearly every surface on your car. IGL Ecoclean Multi is created using all-natural ingredients to provide powerful cleaning in the greenest way possible. IGL Ecoclean Multi will effectively break up any oil, grease, dust, and dirt, making it fast and easy to wipe clean.

Each and every car comes with anywhere from five to five hundred different types of surfaces. Each of these surfaces has different characteristics that makes it unique to the way it needs to be cared for. It is for this reason that for every surface you can find on the surface of a vehicle, there is a dedicated cleaner created specifically to address that type of surface. If you are trying to clean every surface on your car and bought 50 different cleaners to do so, you would no longer be able to store your car in your garage. That is why you absolutely need product like IGL Ecoclean Multi!

IGL Ecoclean Multi condenses all the hundreds of dedicated cleaners into one simple and easy product. Need to get light soil off your leather, use IGL Ecoclean Multi. Tough grime build-up on your engine bay, use IGL Ecoclean Multi. Did you spot some tar collecting on your rocker panels? You guessed it, IGL Ecoclean Multi! There is no reason to store hundreds of cleaners in your garage or shed when you can simply use IGL Ecoclean Multi to do the same cleaning at a much lower cost!

Use IGL Ecoclean Multi to clean virtually any surface that needs a good cleaning!

A large concern that many car detailing enthusiasts carry with them when reading about all-purpose cleaners like IGL Ecoclean Multi is the potential to harm the various surfaces on which it is used. Typically, those concerns would be completely warranted as a large portion of APCs on the market today use extremely aggressive and dangerous ingredients that can corrode the more delicate surfaces of your car. IGL Ecoclean Multi doesn’t use those harmful and often acidic ingredients. IGL Ecoclean Multi is formulated using all-natural, citrus cleaners to provide its powerful cleaning capabilities. The soy base of IGL Ecoclean Multi means that it won’t leave behind harmful residue on your interior surfaces.

The natural base of IGL Ecoclean Multi doesn’t hinder the cleaning capacity of IGL Ecoclean Multi either! IGL Ecoclean Multi will be able to tackle everything from dust on your dashboard to the brake dust on your wheels!

DIRECTIONS

1. If using on delicate surfaces, dilute IGL Ecoclean Multi 1:5 with water. For all other applications, dilute IGL Ecoclean Multi 1:1 with water. Always use on an inconspicuous area first to check colorfastness.

2. Shake IGL Ecoclean Multi well prior to use. Spray IGL Ecoclean Multi directly onto the surface and wipe it off with a dry microfiber towel.

Test car - 1969 Buick GS Convertible

For the 2021 season of My Classic Car, we shot all our TV segments in-house. Because this TV show caters to classic cars, muscle cars and streetrods, we try to bring in and use cars that fit this theme. My friend Jack owns a beautiful classic car but also a muscle car and because it's a convertible - this makes it easy to film interior detailing.

When Jack first arrived we took a good look at his car's beautiful pearl white vinyl interior and we all thought it looked pretty good. Closer inspection found dirt and grime build-up in places commonly "touched" by skin. When filming this type of TV segment or TV commercial, the power for selling the product comes from the before and after shots of not just the "thing" you're working on - but also the thing you're applying the product with - in our case a clean, white microfiber towel.

As we worked through shooting the video we also stopped long enough to capture still shots that you'll see below. This was my first time using IGL Multi but I have to say, I was impressed with how well it worked. Jack the owner was also impressed with how well it worked and I dare say a tick surprised to see how much dirt and grime came off the interior. The the casual observer, the interior probably looked good and also clean. But the wipe-off towel tells a different story.

First we're going to tackle the seats... they looked clean?

They looked clean but the white microfiber towel tells a different story.

Next up - the passenger side door panel.

This is ground-in dirt or grime. Probably from years of having someone rub the back of their hand against this area as they reach for the door handle.

Eeww...

The convertible top boot looks clean?

Nope. In fact I think we pulled the most dirt and grime from the vinyl boot.

Dirty towel on clean towel really shows the before and after difference.

It looked good when it arrived but it's leaving a lighter, brighter and whiter interior.

Review

Having never used this product and knowing it's made using both soy bean oil as well as citrus fruit oils, I kind of figured it would work really well and I was not dissapointed. More important - it's safe for any surface. I can't count how many times I've seen someone in the online world share how they used a conventional all-purpose-cleaner on the interior of their car and it's damaged or discolored the surface it was used on. In some instances people have shared how the APC they used removed the white lettering on the control arms and buttons in their car. How annoying would that be.

Nope... we sprayed it on, allowed it to dwell for a few seconds and the agitated and wiped-off with a clean microfiber towel and nothing went wrong and ever better - everything went right - as in everything came out clean.

IGL makes great products. I have yet to find a dog in their line. If you're looking for a safe and effective all-purpose-cleaner that's different from all the me-too products on the market then give this product a try.

On Autogeek.com

IGL Ecoclean Multi

Here's some other useful product to help apply and wipe-off the IGL Multi

Cobra Blue All Purpose Microfiber Towels - 3 Pack

Cobra 3 Pack Microfiber Applicator Pads

Thanks Jack for trusting us with your 1969 Buick GS!

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: IGL ecoclean MULTI Soy-based All Purpose Cleaner - 1969 Buick GS Convertible

More....

Here's the TV commercial from this product showcase...

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: IGL ecoclean MULTI Soy-based All Purpose Cleaner - 1969 Buick GS Convertible

Ok.....so I'm a bit confused.....in your review, and the video title....it says it can be used on any surface....but earlier on there is this statement "safe for nearly every surface on your car".......

What surfaces should it not be used on then?

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say despite IGL's marketing army (reminds me of Amsoil here in the US), they do make some really good products.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

Ok.....so I'm a bit confused.....in your review, and the video title....it says it can be used on any surface....but earlier on there is this statement "safe for nearly every surface on your car".......

My guess would be delicate or senstive fabrics like Alcantara and microsuede? But I'm not sure. Just a guess as more and more cars have these materials used on the interior.

I can check for you though if you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My guess would be delicate or senstive fabrics like Alcantara and microsuede? But I'm not sure. Just a guess as more and more cars have these materials used on the interior.

I can check for you though if you like?

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Not necessary to clarify.....maybe I'll shoot IGL an email and see what they tell me, and publish their reply in this thread.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Not necessary to clarify.....maybe I'll shoot IGL an email and see what they tell me, and publish their reply in this thread.

I've already sent an e-mail to Markus Parsley, just waiting to hear back.

It would be good to clarify. And just to note - I could be wrong about the alcantara guess.

Mike Phillips

So glad you noticed this and brought this up in this thread. I just talked to Markus Parsley, the VP of IGL and he pointed out that the product is a concentrated so there is a little bit of we as consumers to read the directions and then if needed, dilute according to the directions and in reality, it's safe on everything.

After talking to Markus on the phone, I went back and looked at my original article and I'm so glad I included this,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

DIRECTIONS

1. If using on delicate surfaces, dilute IGL Ecoclean Multi 1:5 with water. For all other applications, dilute IGL Ecoclean Multi 1:1 with water. Always use on an inconspicuous area first to check colorfastness.

So while you can use it as it comes in the bottle, it is a concentrate that can be diluted.

I will also add this little tidbit of behind the scenes work. When IGL asked us to showcase this product for a TV Commercial, after I researched the product and noted it was recommended to dilute it before use, I brought this issue up because it can be very clumsy to explain how to dilute products and show diluting products IN 60 SECONDS. The decision was made to simply show it the way it came and trust that at the end of the day, the American consumer is smart and can figure out the details.

Anyone that watches a 60 second commercial and is so interested in a product that they go on to purchase usually has a peaked interest in the product and will (hopefully) read the directions.

Hope this clears everything up and not only was I impressed with the product so was Jack. So much so that he asked if he could keep the product for his other cars and of course, Autogeek said "yes".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    So glad you noticed this and brought this up in this thread. I just talked to Markus Parsley, the VP of IGL and he pointed out that the product is a concentrated so there is a little bit of we as consumers to read the directions and then if needed, dilute according to the directions and in reality, it's safe on everything.

After talking to Markus on the phone, I went back and looked at my original article and I'm so glad I included this,

So while you can use it as it comes in the bottle, it is a concentrate that can be diluted.

I will also add this little tidbit of behind the scenes work. When IGL asked us to showcase this product for a TV Commercial, after I researched the product and noted it was recommended to dilute it before use, I brought this issue up because it can be very clumsy to explain how to dilute products and show diluting products IN 60 SECONDS. The decision was made to simply show it the way it came and trust that at the end of the day, the American consumer is smart and can figure out the details.

Anyone that watches a 60 second commercial and is so interested in a product that they go on to purchase usually has a peaked interest in the product and will (hopefully) read the directions.

Hope this clears everything up and not only was I impressed with the product so was Jack. So much so that he asked if he could keep the product for his other cars and of course, Autogeek said "yes".
    Thank you very much.....any chance AGO will be offering it in a larger size than 500ml?

I know, I know....I ask a lot of questions

Mike Phillips

Thank you very much.....any chance AGO will be offering it in a larger size than 500ml? I know, I know....I ask a lot of questions

I sent the link to this thread to Markus so he'll see your question and I'm sure he'll get back to me.