autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10 - 2011 Grand Sport Corvette

Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10 - 2011 Grand Sport Corvette

My friend Larry asked me to look at his mint-condition 2011 Corvette Grand Sport and asked me what I thought?

It looked good. Real good.

He asked me if there was any room for improvement? I said, sure, if it's been a while since it was properly washed, clayed and MACHINE POLISHED then "yes" the gloss, clarity and shine could all be dramatically amped-up. So he brought it by for my Package 2 Paint Correction.

Normally I write very in-depth, mega-picture articles but this time I only took a few pictures and I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Process

• Machine scrub tires with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, FLEX Cordless PE14 - 1 1/2" Heavy Duty DA Brush.
    • Clean wheels SONAX Wheel Cleaner, Speed Master Wheel Brush, Wheel Woolies Wheel Face Brush.
    • Clay paint Pinnacle Ultra Fine Detailing Clay and SONAX Glass Cleaner.
    • Tape-off all plastic, rubber and vinyl trim and gaskets with specialty tape.
    • Machine correct paint - Dr. Beasley's NSP 150 - Supa BEAST and RUPES 180mm yellow CP pad
    • Machine polish paint - Dr. Beasley's NSP 90 - Supa BEAST and RUPES 180mm yellow CP pad
    • Machine polish all glass - Supa BEAST and RUPES 180mm yellow CP pad
    • Apply Dr. Beasley's SL-10 Nano by hand - Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towel

Paint was not horribly contaminated but I did pull some form of black film off the paint and the glass.

Here's most of what I used, not pictures are the things I cleaned wheels and tires with also all the coating towels I used.

I count 8 RUPES 180mm yellow foam polishing pads and 1 SONAX soft black foam finishing pad. The tool is the FLEX Supa BEAST! I would say most people don't use enough pads to buff out the paint correctly.

Some guys don't tape-off, some guys do. Me? I'd rather tape-off all the things that are easily stained then spend any time at all trying to undo the damage. Plus if you stain the owner's trim they will see it and it's not good for business.

The orange towels are from The Rag Company. The Rag Company markets them as glass towels? I use them as "paint care" towels.

There was one tiny chip in the roof. I contacted Tony Pando and asked him what color code in the Dr. Color Chip Commercial System to use and he graciously texted me back his recommendation. Thanks Tony!

Final results...

The car looked great when it arrived but now it looks like a SHOW CAR.

Comments...

The new Dr. Beasley's LS-10 Nano Multi Surface Coating is a really cool product. Besides creating incredible gloss it makes the paint feel slippery and smooth. When I first used this product I was shooting a TV commercial for the product. At that time the product was brand new, not even released to the public yet. During the shoot, when I first sprayed it onto 1970 AAR Cuda I could instantly feel how slippery it made the paint feel and I was impressed.

The reason I was impressed is because most coatings make your car's paint feel rubbery. Most customers, i.e. car owners, they don't know they HATE it when their car's paint feels rubbery. It's just something most people don't pay attention to because most people don't take care of their car.

Detailers on the other hand, we pay attention to the details - thus the name - detailers...

What people like is for their car's paint to feel slick and slippery. People notice this when they "touch" the paint. Because most people just drive their cars they don't "touch" the paint. But if you did a blindfold test, letting people feel rubbery paint and slick paint, I guarantee you - the average person will feel the difference and they will choose slippery, slick feeling paint over rubbery sticky paint every time.

This 2011 Corvette is the first time I've used this product on an entire car and it is just as impressive. Plus it's super easy to use. Basically, if you can use a spray detailer, you can use Dr. Beasley's LS-10. Just mist, spread and give that section a final wipe. And a little, tiny mist of product goes a long way.

On Autogeek.com

Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10

Dr. Beasley’s NSP 150 Heavy Cut Primer

Dr. Beasley’s NSP 95 Nano Surface Primer

Dr. Beasley’s NSP 45 Finishing Primer

RUPES 180 mm / 7" Foam Pads

FLEX Supa BEAST Part Number: FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher

You'll need this backing plate to turn and churn the larger pads like you see in the pictures.

FLEX Multi-Polisher 6 inch Backing Plate

Thanks for trusting me with you beautiful Grand Sport Corvette Larry!

2. Thanks ollever, Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, fly07sti, ollever, Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Dr. Beasley's Nano LS-10 - 2011 Grand Sport Corvette

If you watch "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage, watch for this TV commercial.

The Cuda you see is the real deal. It's a numbers matching 1970 AAR Cuda that belongs to my buddy Dave and he let us use it for this commercial.

Thanks Dave!

Mike Phillips

More...

For all my pro detailer friends, the Dr. ColorChip Commercial System is a really nice add-on to your business. When you have this system you're able to fix about 99.9% of the cars on the road today.

It's easy to learn and master, (that's two things), and car owners really like it when you can fix rock chips and scratches in their car's paint because not only does it mask the chip but it prevents rust and it also prevents the chipped or scratched area from growing.

I will say the key thing when doing rock chip or scratch repair is educating your customer.

Why?

Because most people don't know that it's un-realistic to think that a chip in the paint can be made to 100% disappear. This is called,

Getting a new paint job $$$$$

Most people don't want to get a body panel painted just to fix a rock chip, especially when they find out what this costs for a pro-quality job.

So it's your job to gently explain to people BEFORE you fix the chip, chips, or scratches, that the GOAL is so when you stand 5 feet away from the car, your eyes are not drawn to the repair.

It is NOT something that after the repair a person can put their NOSE 3 inches away from the panel and still not see where the original chip was located.

That's not realistic. It's not real-world.

What is real-world is you can fill the area with color-matching paint that will camouflage the original chip making it much more difficult to see from 5' away and also protect the underlying panel from rust and seal the damaged area to prevent the damaged paint from growing or expanding beyond the original impact.

Here's a few pictures that give you an idea for what's included in the Professional Commercial System. It does require a small investment, off-hand I'm not sure but a phone call to Dr. ColorChip will get you this info and they can also answer any other questions you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful GS, and of course beautiful finish on it due to your work.

Questions:

Can this be used on bare paint without the NSP?
    Do the microfiber towels need to be thrown away after use?
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post

Beautiful GS, and of course beautiful finish on it due to your work.
    Thanks, but it was just normal detailing protocols. Use good abrasive technology with the right pad and technique and get great results. And of course, do a Test Spot first.

Questions:

Can this be used on bare paint without the NSP?
    I believe the answer is "yes". It's not a finicky product.

I feel comfortable recommending this product to anyone of any skill level. More important than skill is good, clean, quality UN-CONTAMINATED microfiber towels.

Most people I know do NOT have great towels for "touching" their car's paint, as well as wash mitts and drying towels. Remember, it's what TOUCHES the paint that determines if it looks good and how long it looks good. That's 2 things.

Do the microfiber towels need to be thrown away after use?
    Off-hand I do not know. I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I can check with Jim Lafeber or his team will answer here as they are a member of this forum.

Good questions, than you for asking.

7. Thanks JDGolden thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Funny timing with the towels, I just placed an order today for some Cobra Edgeless towels around lunch time.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Mike Phillips

Thank you.

Funny timing with the towels, I just placed an order today for some Cobra Edgeless towels around lunch time.

I like these a lot too. They are for the most part fool-proof with the flat weave. They can become contaminated so always keep proper towel maintenance protocols in place.

Like a clean container to place your dirty towels to keep them clean until they make it to the washing machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Love those cobra towels polishing towels, thanks to a recommendation from you in one of your articles. Got 12 gray for compound/polish removal, and 12 red for coatings.

Really like my new Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber wash mitt and 2 towel combo as well!

Mike Phillips

Also in case it helps others,

When it came time to apply the LS-10,

I used the technique shared in the article below for applying PBL Surface Coating.

That is, I used a section of a Cobra flat weave towel, spraying a mist or three onto the non-X side and then using this same towel, same side to apply the LS-10 and a separate folded Cobra flat weave microfiber towel to level the coating and remove any excess.

Mike Phillips PBL Paint and Surface Coating Application Technique