autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: Windshield Coating - PBL Surface Coating

Review: Windshield Coating - PBL Surface Coating

Review

Two points.

1: Works great to clear your class without causing wiper blades to chatter.

2: Quick fast easy to apply and then re-apply.

Nothing lasts forever, not even you or I. Instead of looking for a glass coating or glass treatment that is supposed to last for years - accept the reality that because a rubber blade is going to RUB over the surface of your car's windshield, the reality is this rubber blade rubbing on the glass and thus whatever you put on the glass is going to wear it off. So instead of looking for a one-and-done type product, look for a product that is quick, fast and easy. If it's quick fast and easy, you are a LOT more likely to re-apply the product. If it's complicated and takes numerous steps - then you'll slough it off.

For my own cars and for customer cars, I always machine polish the glass.

Why?

Because glass gets a build-up of road film on it just like your car's paint. If you have not read my article on road film and seen the pictures that make it easy to understand where it comes from and why, then click the link below and read the article and look at the pictures. I wrote it in a way to make it really easy for anyone to wrap their brain around the issue.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

If you live in an area where it never rains, or rarely rains, (San Diego, Orange County), the you be the lucky ones, (kind of, you're still stuck in California), and your cars simply stay cleaner longer than anyone that lives where there's rain.

I've been practicing and teaching topical glass polishing for over 20 years. Topical glass polishing removes any gunk that's built-up on your car's glass getting the glass back down to pure, clean glass. This what you want and need in order to use ANY glass coating, sealant or treatment.

So if you're not already polishing your car's glass, then consider making it a part of your normal car detailing steps.

With the above out of the way and knowing I recently machine polished all the glass on my SUV, here's what I use and how I use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First I cut out a square patch of microfiber from an edgeless microfiber towel. One one side use a Sharpie to make an X - this is the side my hand will go on.

Next I put a mist or two of the PBL Surface Coating onto the un-marked side of the patch of cloth. This is the side I will use to apply and spread the coating over the glass.

Next - Mist a little product onto the glass.

Quickly - let me type that again so you pay attention - QUICKLY spread the product over the glass until you see it disappear.

I'm not sure what the carrying agent is for this product but it evaporates fairly quickly.

In under a minute you can treat half your car's windshield. It's that fast and easy.

Then hit all the glass in the same manner.

The last thing I want to hear and I'm guessing you want to hear or experience yourself is... after detailing a car that includes coating the glass, the customer calls you the next day or two and says,

Hey Mike, love the way my cars looks but now when I use the wipers they chatter?

Find something you like and use it often -Mike Phillips

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating - $130.00

Cobra Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths - 12 Pack - $20.00

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Windshield Coating - PBL Surface Coating

More...

For more information on why I draw an X on one side of the patch of microfiber towel, see my article here and look at the purty pictures.

Mike Phillips PBL Paint and Surface Coating Application Technique