autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: DP Quick Coat

Review: DP Quick Coat

DP Quick Coat

What is it?

A spray-on ceramic coating that's FAST to use.

What does it do?

Provides protection, gloss and hydrophobic water-beading for up to one-year.

When do I use it?

After first washing and drying cars in new and like new condition or after performing any needed paint correction for older or neglected cars.

Why should I use it?

To create a super high gloss finish with SiO2 protection and a hydrophobic finish that repels water making future washing and drying fast and easy.

From the manufacturer

DP Quick Coat

Being quick will do the trick!

DP Ceramic Quick Coat is designed to provide quick and easy protection that lasts up to one year. With SiO2 properties, DP Ceramic Quick Coat enhances the color and depth of paint. Plus, these properties found in DP Ceramic Quick Coat will also leave you with protected from chemicals and leave your surface with clarity and gloss. Plus, since it's a spray, DP Ceramic Quick Coat is easy-to-use!

Adding shine and protection to your vehicle doesn't have to be a big to do… or at least, not always. Sometimes you just want to spray and go away (from the detailing job). But just because it is easy, doesn't mean it has to be a lackluster product. Not with DP Ceramic Quick Coat.
    DP Ceramic Quick Coat contains SiO2-infused properties that boosts incredible chemical resistance and protection from every day environmental factors and contaminants. These SiO2 properties will also enhance hydrophobicity, allowing for intense water beading, preventing water spots from forming. Rather than sticking around, water and the contaminants they bring, will more easily roll away.

Not only does the SiO2 in DP Ceramic Quick Coat protect your vehicle, but it also enhances the look of it. DP Ceramic Quick Coat enhances the color and depth of the paint. This in turn will lead to intense clarity and gloss.

What's great about DP Ceramic Quick Coat, is just that, it's quick! DP Ceramic Quick Coat's protection that lasts up to 12 months. Before you use DP Ceramic Quick Coat, make sure you wash your car of all surface debris and dry it completely. Once clean, spray DP Ceramic Quick Coat in 2x2 square foot area and then wipe away using a clean, microfiber towel. Flip to new side of the towel and continue to gently buff away any remaining product. That's it! Spray and buff!

DIRECTIONS

1. Wash car of all surface debris and dry before using DP Ceramic Quick Coat.
    2. Working in 2 x 2 sq. ft. areas, spray directly onto the surface.
    3. Wipe away using a clean microfiber towel.
    4. Flip to a new side and buff away any excess product.
    5. For even more gloss and protection, an additional coating can be applied after 24 hours.

Show Car Prep and Detail!

I had a 2012 Corvette to detail and prep for an upcoming Corvette Car Show. The owner has taken meticulous care of this Corvette ever since purchasing it brand new. While it looked shiny when it arrived, to make it really P0P and stand out at a car show amongst a sea of other shiny Corvettes, it was in dire need of claying and a very thorough compounding and polishing. You can't get a lot of depth out of silver metallic like you can blacks, reds and other darker colors, so the goal was to get the paint as smooth as possible, (claying and compounding), and as clear as possible, (polishing and sealing), so the final results will be a silver metallic paint that GLISTENS!

Here's before, while paint is shiny, the finish is CLOUDY. As I type this on Wednesday, April 21st, 2021 - this car is now 9 years old and from what I've been told, it has never been machine polished since purchased new. It has been regularly washed and maintained with a non-cleaning paint sealant and the problem with always using a NON-cleaning product is you get a build-up of the product, (some call this layer). Always using a non-cleaning product also means if and when there's ever any road film or normal dirt and fallout on the car, non-cleaning product will tend to SEAL this ONTO the paint, not remove it.

This is why years ago, in an effort to help people understand the value and importance of ONCE IN A WHILE - using a product that cleans or polishes the paint, I wrote this article,

Here's why you need to polish paint...

The pictures plus the explanation of what you're seeing in the pictures tells the story.

Tape-off and protect old rubber trim

The rubber and vinyl trim and gaskets around the glass windows is still in good shape BUT - as these materials age the become harder to clean compound and polish splatter off-of without damaging the appearance. So before I started I did in fact tape all these materials off. If you detail cars professionally you should do this also as a "Best Practice" and as a professional courtesy to the owner and future owners of the car.

BEFORE SHOT

This is a BEFORE shot and "yes" the paint is shiny but shine is not the only aspect of a great looking finish. There's a cloud or film covering this car and later in this write-up I'll put this before picture together with the after picture and most of you with good eyesight will see the difference.

Coating Prep Process

1. Use detailing clay to clay all paint and glass.
    2. Machine compound all paint and glass.
    3. Machine polish all paint.

(Sorry no pictures, I was by myself for the entire process)

Using DP Quick Coat

After removing all the polish from the body panels, the next step was to apply the DP Quick Coat. For this I used the conventional 2-Towel Method.

The Two Towel Method

There is actually a specific technique that works best for hand applying any type of spray-on product. It's simple really. You just have to "think" about it as you're reading what I'm writing and then put the technique into practice and when putting the technique into practice, think back to what you're read here and it will completely make sense not only in your brain but also as you apply a product using a microfiber towel.

Here's the technique - after folding a clean microfiber towel into quarters, mist the product you're going to apply to the entire car to only ONE side of the folded microfiber towel. You want to dampen this one side with the product.

Why?

If you try to apply a liquid with a dry towel - the dry towel will do what comes natural - that is it will try to absorb and remove the product you're trying to apply. In essence, you will be FIGHTING yourself and in all likely hood blame your struggle on the product. The problem is not the product, it's your technique.

When you dampen one side of a towel with the product you want to apply, now instead of trying to remove the product it will spread the product. Genius huh?

Here's me misting the DP Quick Coat onto a clean, folded florescent green microfiber towel. (I dig the color of these new towels Autogeek brought in for the DP line)

Next I spray a section of paint with the product.

Spread the product over the surface

Then using the dampened side of the towel, spread the product over a section about 2' by 2' to leave a whisper thin film of product on the surface. Andre told me this product is highly concentrated and a little bit goes a long way. That said, you do want to have an actual layer or film of product on the surface as you need some level of "substance" on the surface to bond and thus create a layer of protection.

Switch to your second towel

Now before the product dries, using your second DRY clean microfiber towel, wipe the area to a hard shine. Remember the initial act of wiping the product off is also part of the evening out of the product onto the surface.

Repeat this same process to the entire car.

Here's the final results...

Here's everything I used,

• Lake Country 6.5" Orange Foam Cutting pads were used with the DP Compound to level the paint and remove years of sealant and dirt build-up with the FLEX Supa BEAST.
    • RUPES 180mm Yellow foam polishing pad was used to re-polish each body panel with the DP Polish and the FLEX CBEAST.
    • RUPES Nano in Rotary Mode was used to compound all the tight areas and around the front and rear emblems.
    • DP Quick Coat to seal the paint and make her look pretty again.

Review

Education

First I want to point out that when it comes to any type of product that SEALS a paint surface, be it a wax, a synthetic sealant, a paint coating or any variations of these in spray-on forms - there are generally 2 categories of which all these product will fit into.

1. Cleaning
    2. Non-Cleaning

An example of a product that cleans would be a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO. Products like these will clean the paint either chemically or with abrasives, (like a polish), or a combination of both. The cleaning ability removes old products plus any other kind of contamination bonded onto the paint that normal car washing doesn't remove.

And example of a non-cleaning product would be finishing waxes, non-cleaning sealants, most paint coatings and also MOST spray-on products including this new product from DP - Quick Coat.

The point being, non-cleaning products are really only intended to be used on paint that is in new or like new condition. That means paint that is clean and smooth, free from any previously applied products and also any bonded contaminants like overspray paint. I just want to point this out so than anyone reading this review understand where this product fits into the huge category of product on the market today where the product is intended to both protect and beautify paint.

This is also the reason why in order to use the product correctly I had to first, wash, clay, compound and the polish the paint. If you have a BRAND NEW Corvette or any brand new car, if the paint passes your inspection and expectations for "clean" paint, then this would be a great choice for a fast, wipe-on, wipe-off paint protectant. If you have an older car and it's in new or like-new condition or as you seen me do here, do the necessary paint prep first - then this would be a great product to use that's fast and easy to apply and remove.

If your car is neglected however, that is it will not pass the Baggie Test, then I would highly recommend you first do at least one paint correction step before using this product. This product needs a clean, smooth surface to be used correctly.

Onto my review...

With the above all said as a part of providing accurate information and helpful education on the topic of sealing paint to both protect it and make it shine, here's my review.

Super easy, super fast product to use.
    Like the name implies, QUICK coat. It's quick or fast to both apply, spread and wipe-off. There's no waiting for the product to dry. There's no cure time. There's no need to apply by machine, simply use the two-towel method I shared above and you can easily seal and protect your car in about 30 minutes from start to finish after the initial wash and dry.

Scent
    I'm always honest in that I have a hard time identifying the scent, smell or odor of a product and that holds true to this product. I cannot identify the scent but it is pleasant, like a clean laundry fresh out of the dryer.

Application and wipe-off
    The product spreads easy over the surface and stays wet until you wipe it off, this gives you plenty of time to do both without the product becoming difficult or even sticky to remove as some product are like this and can wear-out your shoulders trying to remove it.

Appearance after wipe-off
    The paint now glistens after using the DP Quick Coat. Of course the claying, compounding and polishing restored a smooth surface but it was the application of this Quick Coat that amped up the gloss and shine to the point that paint actually glistens.

Feel
    The paint feels slippery and that's the one thing I need out of any product I use on my own cars or customer cars.

Protection
    Yeah... that's always a tough one. After I detail a car I normally don't see the car again unless it's a car show. Plus a lot of the car I detail are Garage Queens, that would be this car. I will say the product claims to offer incredible chemical resistance and if this helps with water spotting then it's worth its weight in gold. The product also claims to last up to one year. I'm sure this is accurate but I also do my best to educate people that no matter what the claim for longevity is for any product on the market the reality is - how long anything lasts 100% depend on how the paint is TOUCHED. And by the word touched this means washed, dried and wiped. Another feature is that the SiO2 in this product enhances the color and depth of the paint. This is a silver metallic car and for the most part you don't get a lot of the same visual improvements from an LSP on silver and light colors like you do with reds, blacks and other dark colors but to stand next to this car and look at it - I will say, the metallic flake simply POPS!

If you like fast and you like easy, it doesn't get any faster or easier than applying the DP Quick Coat. The name is accurate.

On Autogeek.com

DP Quick Coat

DP Compound

DP Polish

Although you can easily apply and remove this spray-on coating with 2-3 towels, you can never have enough clean, soft un-contaminated towels. I always recommend buying enough of any specific "type" of towel so that you can make a small, dedicated wash load of just the same towels. For this reason, I'd recommend and will link to the 12-pack.

Speed Master Sublime Edgeless Coating Removal - 12 Pack

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: DP Quick Coat

Continued....

As I mentioned previously, I've placed the before and then the after below - look at the cars and specifically the paint closely and carefully and I think like me, you'll see the difference.

BEFORE

AFTER

The gloss and clarity in the after shot are maxed-out. The overall results is paint that simply GLISTENS!

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: DP Quick Coat

Now available!