Review: DP Ceramic Paint Sealant

DP Ceramic Paint Sealant

What is it?

A synthetic paint sealant infused with Silicone Dioxide or SiO2.

What does it do?

Seals surfaces with a super slick layer of protection that both creates water beading and water sheeting.

When do I use it?

After washing, drying your car, then performing any paint correction needed and then after using a panel wipe to prep the paint for the sealant.

Why should I use it?

To protect your car's paint with a easy-to-use synthetic paint sealant infused with SiO2.

From the manufacturer

DP Ceramic Paint Sealant

Super slick, super sleek sealant!

When looking for protection, gloss and an easy application, look no further than DP Ceramic Paint Sealant. DP Ceramic Paint Sealant is infused with SiO2 for not only gloss, but also slickness and hydrophobicity. Super easy to apply and remove, DP Ceramic Paint Sealant is even self-cleaning.

DP Ceramic Paint Sealant is formulated to create a layer of protection on treated surfaces. This protection will prevent against water spots, damage from UV rays, chemical stains and other pesky environmental contaminants. In addition, DP Ceramic Paint Sealant also prevents future potential contaminants from creating too strong. This protection is increased with its SiO2 infused formula. This formula enacts gloss and slickness, making it look great, but it also promotes hydrophobicity.

This hydrophobicity allows water and the contaminants it carries to bead up and roll off the surface, rather than dwell and get etched into the surface in the form of water spots. While it cannot stop water stops from occurring altogether, it can help prevent them. Not only does DP Ceramic Paint Sealant promote water beading, but even better, it promotes water sheeting.

With its self-cleaning abilities, DP Ceramic Paint Sealant makes washing your car even easier. Not that you don't have to wash (we wish), but makes it less tasking. This self-cleaning ability basically means that all the contaminants, the mud, the grime, and what have you, will have a difficult time bonding to the surface. That way, contaminants will be removed with less effort.

DP Ceramic Paint Sealant is super easy-to-apply and to remove. Before applying, make sure the surface is newly washed and dried. Apply in the shade, by first used DP Coating Prep spray to remove any oils that could cause improper bonding. Then with a foam or microfiber applicator, apply DP Ceramic Paint Sealant to the surface and wait twenty minutes. Finally, gently buff away with a clean microfiber towel.

DIRECTIONS

-Wash, dry, and correct paint if needed.
-Shake well before use.
-Use DP Coating Prep Spray to remove any oils that would prevent proper bonding.
-Apply several drops of product onto a microfiber applicator and apply to a 3 x 3 sq. ft. area in a back and forth, cross-hatch pattern.
-Allow for slight overlay to ensure even coverage.
-Allow area to set for approximately 1-2 minutes and gently remove excess product with a clean microfiber towel.
-A second coat can be applied after approximately 1 hour.
-Keep coated surfaces dry for 24-48 hours for best results.

A British blast from the past!

A few weeks ago a local car guy contacted me and asked me to take a look at his all original 1968 MBG GT. I said, "sure, bring on her on by Autogeek". The paint was dull and lifeless with oxidation and swirls and scratches throughout all the body panels. Here's the link to that thread,

1968 MGB GT - All original single stage paint

This car is as though it were stored in a Time Capsule.

Fast forward a few weeks and after doing all the washing, claying and paint correction and chemically stripping each body panel, it's time to seal the paint. Perfect timing for this brand new ceramic paint sealant.

Here's the same MGB GT after a very thorough compounding and polishing and then gently wiping each panel down with the DP Coating Prep Spray

Here I've placed an ample amount of the DP Ceramic Paint Sealant onto the face of a soft, Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid black foam finishing pad attached to a FLEX CBEAST

Kissing the Finish

Instead of placing the wax on the pad against the paint and then turning the polisher on to spread the wax out - I first touch the face of the pad down to a number of places across the panel to be sealed. Years ago I wrote an article called, Kissing the Finish where I shared this technique. Now days I think people just say to schmoosh the pad around a panel to spread out the wax. However you want to do, talk about it or type about it is fine with me. But here's the big picture reason as to WHY you do this. If you were to just place the pad against the paint and turn the polisher on - a LOT of the sealant would simply PUSH into the foam pad. This fills up or loads up the foam pad with your sealant. That's not what you want. That wastes product. You want a thin layer over all the painted body panels so spread it around first and then turn the polisher on and start making passes to lay down a thin, even layer.

After spreading the sealant over an area to seal - then start picking up the product under your pad and spread it over the body panel.

Technique Tip

When machine applying any liquid wax or sealant - as you come up to a pile of product on the surface do NOT run the edge of your pad into the pile of product - INSTEAD - slightly lift one side of the spinning pad so that you can GRAB the product and bring it under the pad like you see in the pictures below.

Then after grabbing some product and pulling it under the pad - spread this pile of product over the surface before moving onto the next pile of product.

Cordless Freedom

The CORDLESS FLEX CBEAST is so easy to use. In fact, for things like machine applying a liquid wax or sealant you can easily knock out the horizontal panels using only one hand to guide the tool over a panel.

Again - see how I tilt the pad to grab the pile of product and pull it under the pad?

Then lay the pad down flat against the surface and spread that pile of product over a section of the body panel being sealed.

Hold the battery, not the handle

If you own one of these cordless wonders, you'll find it easier and more balanced to hold the end of the tool by the battery like you see me doing instead of the actual handle of the tool. Try it and see for yourself.

I can easily use one hand to steer the polisher over the roof to lay down a thin, even uniform layer of the DP Ceramic Pant Sealant

Machines always outperform humans...

An orbital polisher, (any type of brand), will always lay down a more uniform, thin layer of product than the human hand. This saves product. It also does a better job and the resulting thin layer wipes off easier.

Allow the product to dry to a haze then remove using clean, soft microfiber towels.

The final results are simply beautiful!

Here's everything I used to go from neglected to respected....
(Not pictures is the DP Coating Prep Spray that is recommended to use after any compounding or polishing steps)

1. FLEX Supa BEAST with foam cutting pads and DP Compound to remove years of oxidation and neglect.
  2. FLEX CBEAST with RUPES 180mm yellow foam polishing pads and DP Polish to refine the results from the compound while maximizing gloss and shine.
  3. FLEX PiXiE and RUPES Nano in Rotary Mode to get into tight areas.

Review

First - the purple color kind of threw me until I smelled the GRAPE scent, which I like. I like grapes and even keep grape seltzer waters in the fridge in my office. While the purple color was kind of different it smelled great and products that have pleasant scents are so much more enjoyable to work with than products that don't smell good or worse - stink.

Super easy to apply

This liquid sealant has a thin, lotion-like consistency that spread out easy and in our air-conditioned garage, dried to a haze in about 10 to 15 minutes. Basically I machine applied to the entire car and by the time I had gone around the sealant had dried to a haze. My normal routine is to start removing in the place that I started applying and then simply follow-my-path-of-travel. The thin lotion-like consistency applies super easy by machine but also applies and spreads out super easy by hand if you're still working by hand. The key to remember is this is a NON-CLEANING sealant - thus it should only be used on paint in new or like new condition. Although the original paint on this car is 53 years old as I type this in April or 2021 - after the heavy compounding and polishing the paint is back to new condition. Actually, it's probably in better overall condition after the machine compounding and polishing than the day it left the factory. That's because back in 1968 they didn't have all the cool technology we have today to do the paint correction steps without leaving any swirls in the paint.

Wipe-off is a breeze!

This new SiO2 infused sealant wipes off super easy and leaves a very slick feeling surface behind. There is zero struggling to remove the product it almost falls off the paint as you move your microfiber towel over the surface.

Gloss and shine

The resulting finish was incredibly glossy, shiny and slick feeling. All my favorite things in a synthetic paint sealant. Andre, (our product tester), told me it would leave the paint looking insanely glossy and slick feeling and he was spot-on accurate. While this is a small car by most standards, the compounding and polishing step do tend to tire a person out. So I'm really glad to say that the product wipes off super easy with no dusting either.

When I told the owner about the water beading and water sheeting effect and how this would make washing and drying his car faster and easier and also give the car a self-cleaning effect if he's ever caught in the rain. While this is a time-capsule representation of British cars from the 1960's it's also a DRIVER! This isn't just another Garage Queen, it's driven almost on a daily basis and this means it''s going to get dirty and exposed to the kind of heavy rain showers we get here in South Florida.

I know the owner is going to love how well this new sealant works and now that this product is public and available - you'll see this car return to Autogeek as I promised the owner a free bottle when it becomes available.

Final thoughts...

If your car's paint is in new or like new condition and you're looking for an easy product to use to seal and protect the paint, this new SiO2 infused synthetic paint sealant is a great option whether you work by hand or machine. It's easy to apply and remove and imparts insane gloss and shine all from a single product.

On Autogeek.com

DP Ceramic Paint Sealant

DP Compound

DP Polish

DP Coating Prep Spray