autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating

Quote Originally Posted by chavez885 View Post

Looking good boss, I'll have to pick some up.

Thank you.

The paint on this car really did look as good and even better as you see in the pictures. And I used my iPhone to take the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    In your review you mentioned to the owner not to use car washes (even touch-less, I interpret).

“How long will it last? I don't know, that's the problem with this type of product review. The car I used this on is gone. I have asked the owner to AVOID taking the car through touchless car washes. While in theory it sounds like a good option for those times you can't do a normal water hose and bucket wash in your driveway. But the down side is - these types of car washes tend to use stronger chemicals to loosen road film and dirt since NOTHING is going to physically touch the paint to clean it.

While these harsher chemicals may not remove the coating - I "think" they are responsible for making the anodized aluminum trim surrounding the windows look horrible, spotted and splotchy...

...I coated the trim, but this type of anodized aluminum trim is sensitive to chemical corrosion - thus the reason I've asked the owners to not take this car through any touchless car washes.”

I agree with the advice as a general practice. But am also curious as to whether the advice is only due to the anodized trim, or are you also concerned about the chemical resistance of this coating? Will touchless washes wear on this coating more so than other big name coatings (which I would expect are barely/not weakened by occasional touch-less washes)?

Just wondering if you have any inside info that would make avoiding automatic washes a higher priority for this Graphene coating in particular.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, did you coat the anodized trim or let it bare?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post

Mike, did you coat the anodized trim or let it bare?
    I machine polished it and then I coated it.

5. Likes Anna Louise liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied this to a small section as part of my coating test. I have to say that it is on the slick side. For those that are looking for a coating that offers some slickness instead of the typical tacky coating sensation then this is it. For those that have used Gtechniq Chrystal Serum Light, Cquartz SiC or the previous Cquartz TiO2, GR4 is a tad behind in the slickness aspect.

Application is easy. Slight rainbowing.

7. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to cleaning my truck 2 weekends back. It was 3 years since I last polished/coated it with CQuartz and it was due for some new protection. The paint wasn't in bad shape because I really try to keep up with it, so I didn't need much. I washed with foam canon, hit it with IronX, Nanonskin fine sponge, hit it with Gyeon Polish on my CBeast with a white pad. Followed up with a good IPA wipedown and applied the GR4. It goes on different than other coatings I've used before, seemed almost like a sealant type feel than a coating. It is definitely slick when finished and really shines.

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating-ram_front_corner-jpg

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating-rear_corner-jpg

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating-ram_side-jpg

9. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jshillin View Post

It is definitely slick when finished and really shines.
    That's the primary reason I like it, the slick feel.

Nice looking truck!

Is that a factory color?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Mike,
    In your review you mentioned to the owner not to use car washes (even touch-less, I interpret).

“How long will it last? I don't know, that's the problem with this type of product review. The car I used this on is gone. I have asked the owner to AVOID taking the car through touchless car washes. While in theory it sounds like a good option for those times you can't do a normal water hose and bucket wash in your driveway. But the down side is - these types of car washes tend to use stronger chemicals to loosen road film and dirt since NOTHING is going to physically touch the paint to clean it.

While these harsher chemicals may not remove the coating - I "think" they are responsible for making the anodized aluminum trim surrounding the windows look horrible, spotted and splotchy...

...I coated the trim, but this type of anodized aluminum trim is sensitive to chemical corrosion - thus the reason I've asked the owners to not take this car through any touchless car washes.”

I agree with the advice as a general practice. But am also curious as to whether the advice is only due to the anodized trim, or are you also concerned about the chemical resistance of this coating?

My advice had to do with the anodized trim.

Will touchless washes wear on this coating more so than other big name coatings (which I would expect are barely/not weakened by occasional touch-less washes)?
    No, not that I'm aware of.

Just wondering if you have any inside info that would make avoiding automatic washes a higher priority for this Graphene coating in particular.

Thanks in advance!

No other insight except that anodized aluminum trim is really difficult to fix once it becomes stained. So for most people, if you have a car that has anodized trim, my advice is to avoid touchless car washes and also iron remover.

Good questions, thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    That's the primary reason I like it, the slick feel.

Nice looking truck!

Is that a factory color?

Thanks Mike. Yep, factory Paint, True Blue Pearlcoat! It shines real nice and looks like a mirror to see my other favorite blue in the background, WRB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating-ram_wrx-jpg  

13. Likes Anna Louise liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you develop high spots with coating similar to what can happen with a ceramic coating. If it does develop a high spot do you have to polish the sot to remove it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast