autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Tweety Bird meets Mothers Ceramic Wax

Review: Tweety Bird meets Mothers Ceramic Wax

Mothers Ceramic Wax

In the February 3-day Detailing Bootcamp Class, we had 2 cars for the wetsanding class on Sunday. There was a 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod and a 1963 Plymouth Fury muscle car, (former Drag Racing Car), the owner calls, Tweety Bird. Both cars had fresh paint job. The Ford had been painted a few months ago, so the paint was completely dry, hardened and cured. As such after the sanding and buffing the class sealed the paint. Tweety Bird however was fresh out of the paint booth by about a week. So technically, while it's perfectly fine to wetsand, cut and buff fresh paint, you're not supposed to seal the paint until at least 30 days go by to allow any solvents to fully outgas as well as let the paint dry, harden and shift.

After the February 3-day detailing bootcamp class, next was our annual boat detailing class. Due to the proximity of these two classes, I asked the owner of Tweety Bird if he could give me some time to teach the boat class and then clean up after the boat class and then bring Tweety Bird back for final polishing and sealing of the paint. Carlos the owner, being the great friend to Autogeek that he is was happy to hang tight until I could get back to him and his 1963 Plymouth Fury.

Here's the flow chart I created for Andre and I to follow for the February 3-day detailing bootcamp class. The class trains on so many cars in my classes that we need this simple pictorial flow chart to simply keep the order of cars to pull in next orderly. You can see for yourself at the bottom of the flow chart the Slantback Ford and Tweety Bird.

The bird is back!

Fast forward to the March, a few weeks after the annual boat class and Tweety Bird is back and safe to go ahead and seal the paint. After some touch-up wetsanding followed by some final polishing, I had the paint prepped and ready to seal. I wanted to use a product that would be easy for the owner to continue to use to maintain all the hard work performed by the class. The product would need to spread easy, dry fast and wipe off super easy. The product should also create INSANE gloss to compliment the color and the body lines of this classic Mopar Muscle Car.

I chose the new Mothers Ceramic Wax.

The paint on this car is now in perfect condition for this type of wax. It's clean, smooth and ready to be sealed.

To apply the new Ceramic Wax I chose the cordless FLEX Finisher. This is a 15mm free spinning random orbital polisher with a 5" backing plate. To apply the wax I used a Buff & Shine 6" Uro-Tech white foam finishing pad.

Starting with the highest point and working down...

This ceramic wax is buttery smooth. It spreads out super easy by hand or machine. It also smells really good too.

Dries fast - wipes off super easy, I'd almost say it glides off the car with a little push from a towel...

Working by machine it tool less than 20 minutes to thoroughly apply the wax to the entire car and about the same amount of time to remove it.

The results were nothing short of phenomenal!

Now follow me....

In this first picture, the bottle is in focus and the car is out of focus - paint still looks great huh?

In this picture the bottle is out of focus and the paint is IN FOCUS

This is what I call INSANE GLOSS!

Review

This is the second time I've used this new ceramic wax from Mothers and both times I really like the application and removal and more important the results. The first time was on a modern muscle car, you can check that write-up out here.

It's a top notch product. It's easy to use and looks freaking amazing.

The chemist at Mothers really did a nice job with this product. If you're still working by hand, this product is just as easy to apply as any wax ever created since the time of the Model T. If you own any type or brand of dual action polisher - this product just glides over the paint with a soft foam pad. A thin application is all you need and wipe-off is a breeze.

The resulting finish is not only incredibly shiny and glossy, it's also very slick and slippery to the touch.

If you're a Mothers fan - you'll love this new technology. If you're looking for a introduction to ceramic technology in an easy-to-use conventional wax-form, then by all means, get this product and give it a try. It's fast, it's easy and it makes waxing your car fun again.

On Autogeek.com

Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax

2. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Tweety Bird meets Mothers Ceramic Wax

More...

After I finished the car, I noticed Tweety was looking a little worse for wear. So I polished him too...

BEFORE

AFTER

Thank you Carlos for trusting Autogeek, 20 strangers that took the February class and yours truly.

4. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How would you compare this product to Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Skier404 View Post
    Nothing alike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Skier404 View Post

When I answered you I was on my phone. Mike doesn't like to "try" to type out anything in-depth on a phone. Me much prefer full size ergo keyboard and my arm holder-uppers.

This Mothers product is blend of traditional Carnauba and SiO2. Mothers created this specifically as a bridge between old school and new school to give those that have not made the full transition something to test the waters with. While it has some very light cleaning ability, (if I remember correctly), I would not call it a true AIO.

I liked this product so much, I'm taking what's left in the bottle and sending it to my dad to use on his 1966 Ford Thunderbird.

The Dr. Beasley's Z1 is completely inorganic in every way. I like the Z1 concept and also the product. I consider it the RUPES Legacy versions of their tools. It's going to go through an evolution just like the RUPES BigFoot 21 Legacy is now the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark III

Also - the Z1 IS a true AIO - it's a Ceramic AIO

Hope the above helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    When I answered you I was on my phone. Mike doesn't like to "try" to type out anything in-depth on a phone. Me much prefer full size ergo keyboard and my arm holder-uppers.

Totally get it, Typing on phones can be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback, That's what my thought was. I don't get to try as many products as I would like, so I'm always curious about what people think.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I only use a phone to view this forum. That's why my posts are all pretty short.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

Yep I only use a phone to view this forum. That's why my posts are all pretty short.

You and probably around 70% of most people.

It's all good...