autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Mothers Ceramic Wax by Mike Phillips

Review: Mothers Ceramic Wax by Mike Phillips

Mothers Ceramic Wax

What is it?

A SiO2 fortified wax to protect car paint while creating a high gloss shine.

What does it do?

Seals the paint surface to protect it from attack from things like oxidation, staining, chemical exposure, etc.

When do I use it?

After first washing and drying your car and/or after doing any claying or paint correction.

Why should I use it?

To restore and maintain a show car shine to our car's finish.

My Test Car - 2015 Z28 Camaro

A couple of weeks ago Yancy and I we're using this low mileage 2015 Z28 Camaro for a video.

Although to most people, the paint on this Camaro looked perfect.

Looks can be deceiving...

But looks can be deceiving. The baggie test revealed the paint needed to be clayed. Here's the link to how I used Mothers Clay Kit to clay the paint.

Review: Mothers Clay Kit - Red 2015 Z28 Camaro

Machine application of Mothers Ceramic Wax

Mothers states this wax has ultra fine polishing agents to remove minor imperfections and oxidation and to also promote better adhesion of the hybrid blend of SiO2 fortified wax. This ceramic wax can be applied by hand or machine. For this review I'm going to use the tried and true Porter Cable 7424XP with a simple 5.5" white foam polishing pad.

The Porter Cable 7424XP comes from the factory with a foam polishing pad with a fixed backing plate. That is, the backing plate is glued onto the foam. This pad is SUPER thick and for the most part useless for this tool. I have an article on this freebie pad here.

You need a backing plate

The Porter Cable does NOT come with a backing plate so if you purchase a Porter Cable you'll also need to purchase a backing plate. I recommend a 5" backing plate so you can turn and churn 5.5" pads, which are optimum for this type of tool. The pad you see is a Lake Country 5.5" CCS white foam polishing pad.

Here's the backing plate attached to the polisher with the pad attached to the velcro on the backing plate.

Kissing the Finish Technique

To get started, I use a healthy amount of wax on the foam buffing pad but keep in mind, I'm going to use the Kissing the Finish technique, which is simply touching the face of the pad down on a number of the body panels to deposit the wax and get it spread out over the car.

Spreads out thin...

Here's a few shots showing what this Ceramic Wax looks like after machine applying to the entire car.

Super easy wipe-off...

After laying down a thin application of the Ceramic Wax and then letting it dry to a haze, I found it wiped-off super easy and left a super click feeling finish on the paint.

And the visual results are crystal clear.

The results are nothing short of a deep, wet looking shine. Freaking amazing!

Review

This is a great product. It's super easy to use and creates a deep wet shine that's truly impressive. Plus leaves the paint feeling super slick feeling, which is something I look for in any product I use on my own cars. It has the ability to remove minor imperfections plus built-up staining in the form of road film or traffic film. I did hand apply this product to get a feel for how it works by hand it's also very easy to apply this old school way but you will get better results, especially if the paint is lightly neglected if you machine apply. One other nice thing about machine application is you tend to be able to lay down a thin coat of wax. A thin coat will not only wipe-off easier but it will dry to a haze faster.

Wipe-of was effortless. If you're someone that likes and even prefers a wax that wipes off easy you'll love this product. It simply flies off the paint as you rub a microfiber towel over it.

Perfect maintenance wax for daily drivers

Because this Ceramic Wax offers some very light cleaning ability, this would make it perfect for frequent use on daily drivers. Daily drivers tend to get a film of dirt on them over time. This product would easily remove this build-up and restore that factory show room shine. I'd say it took me less than 30 minutes to thoroughly machine apply this ceramic wax to this full size passenger car. Wipe-off took about 10 minutes. This means after washing and drying your car, if you have a Porter Cable polisher or any random orbital polisher, you could easily do this same thing in your garage in under an hour.

And best of all is the price. This product retails for $23.00

If you're a Mothers fan or interested in trying something new, I'd highly recommend this product. It's not only a perfect maintenance wax but it's also a good choice for that toy in the garage too.

On Autogeek.com

Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax

And if you want to get an entry level QUALITY polisher, here's one way to go,

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher - $149.99

5" Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    - $17.99

White Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad - $6.99

2. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Mothers Ceramic Wax by Mike Phillips

More,

Here's a brand new video where Forrest Tosie shares some information about all the new Mothers products that were launched at SEMA time.

Lots of good info and all your questions about the new Mothers Ceramic products shared in the above video.

Post Thanks / Like

The Camaro looks really good ,,I may use my Equinox as a Guinea Pig for this product come spring.

any Idea on durability or still testing ?
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a bit like a jeweling wax then?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post

Is this a bit like a jeweling wax then?

Yes.

I would have to re-test this product on a car with softer paint to have a better feel for how much jeweling it's capable of. The paint on the Camaro, like a lot of Chevrolets in that era was pretty much rock hard.

7. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm in the Review text you stated that you hand apply this wax and in the next chapter you made the car in 30 minutes by machine ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by omalley34male View Post

Hmm in the Review text you stated that you hand apply this wax and in the next chapter you made the car in 30 minutes by machine ?

Here's everywhere I used the word HAND in the above review.

This ceramic wax can be applied by hand or machine

I did hand apply this product to get a feel for how it works by hand it's also very easy to apply this old school way but you will get better results, especially if the paint is lightly neglected if you machine apply.

If you read what I wrote, it states,

The wax can be applied by hand.

I applied the wax by hand TO GET A FEEL FOR HOW IT WORKS

Thank you for asking for clarification - I hope my review now makes sense to you.

10. Likes omalley34male liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I’m pretty sure you could spread peanut butter (creamy of course) on a car and buff it off to perfection.

Nice results as always sir.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boosteddub69 View Post
    Mike, I’m pretty sure you could spread peanut butter (creamy of course) on a car and buff it off to perfection.

Nice results as always sir.
    Now that’s a comparison we need; which corrects better, Skippy or Jif? They both have abrasives and polishing oils. Unfortunately, I think those old products might not wipe off as easy as the newer graphene products.

13. Likes boosteddub69 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is clear for me now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast