autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Detailing the seats in George Harrison's 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS

Detailing the seats in George Harrison's 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS

Here's a detail of a lifetime... cleaning and detailing the original leather seats in a classic Ferrari owned by George Harrison from the Beatles!

Here's the car....

Here's the band....

Here's the man!

George Harrison playing the Sitar

Time to get to it...

To tackle this car I created a simple to-do list on a white board. I shared a lot of the different aspects of detailing this car to my Facebook and Instagram page and when shooting the videos I referenced this to-do list. It shared anyone following along where I was at with the process as well as kept me on task.

Because the Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil is supposed to soak into the leather and do it's magic for a few hours, I listed it as the first thing to do. After applying and working the Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil into all the leather surfaces I could then move onto other areas of the car and come back to the 2nd step later.

These are the Leatherique Twins and in front of them are a pair of Griot's Garage PFM Wax Removal Towels. These are the perfect size to fit your hand PLUS no needing to fold them 4-ways, which makes working with towesl for this kind of cleaning cumbersome and awkward.

Interior looks clean huh?

The technique is simple, use an generous amount of product and apply and massage over every square inch of leather and then let it soak for a few hours.

Moving to the other side now...

The white cloth tells the real story....

It's shortly after 10:00am. I'll let the oil soak and move onto the convertible top and back window.

To really appreciate the dirt level removed from the seats, it helps to place the once white cloth on a larger white towel.

Yuck!

2. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Detailing the seats in George Harrison's 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS

Continued....

Fast forward about 5 hours later and it's time to wipe all the leather with the Pristine Clean.

Use the same technique, that is apply a generous amount of the cleaner to a clean towel and then simply follow-your-path-of-travel to remove any excess oil and grime the oil has loosened and lifted.

There's actually a different look and color to the dirt removed from the application of the oil compared to the dirt and grime removed after soaking for hours.

Final results...

The leather now has a cleaner, brighter, whiter appearance and it feels clean too!

Comments...

This isn't so much a review as it is a pictorial documentation of how I used Leatherique to clean and condition the original seats in a classic Ferrari owned by one of our worlds most famous rock stars. If you want a fully in-depth article with step-by-step directions on how to use the Leatherique System, click the link at the bottom of this article.

At first look - the seats looked clean. The application towels tell a different story. While not the worst condition leather interior I've ever detailed this simple 2-step process definitely cleaned the seats and gave all the leather a brighter, whiter more crisp appearance.

I was impressed and more important - the current owner was impressed. Besides looking better the seats also felt more luxurious to the touch.

On Autogeek.com

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 16 oz

Leatherique Prestine Clean 16 oz

All Leatherique Leather Care Products

Here's the towels I used to apply and remove the products. These worked GREAT by the way.

Griot"s Garage PFM Wax Removal Towel - 4-pack

And here's the link to my very in-depth how-to article for using Leatherique products.

Review: The Leatherique Treatment - Leather Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean

4. Likes Thomkirby, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

that car is in amazing condition~

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is so cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What an amazing car to work on. Can’t believe the amount of grime pulled out of those seats.

Does the Leatherique protect too or could yo add PBL L&V coat after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Continued....

Mike,
    Does letherique work on modern leathers, IE the lacquer painted type of leather or only just natural leather or tanned leather

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow what a car. is it owned by a private person? wonder how many miles are on it. The paint looks pristine.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zvez View Post

Mike,

Does letherique work on modern leathers, IE the lacquer painted type of leather or only just natural leather or tanned leather

According to Leatherique the answer is "yes"

At the bottom of the first post in this article, I shared this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

And here's the link to my very in-depth how-to article for using Leatherique products.

The above article I wrote, has to rank up there with some of the other most IN-DEPTH articles I've ever written. It's detailed. The owners of Leatherique send me a personal e-mail letting me know how much they loved it.

Here's the car I used for the article. A very modern car with very modern leather. About as modern as you can get.

The directions state to use plenty of product, or as I say,

Use the product heavy or wet...

There we go, plenty of product for this initial application of product to dry cotton.

Now I'll massage the product into and over all the leather surfaces in this Acura RDX

You can easily see where the oil has penetrated INTO the leather and darkened it.

The results were freaking amazing and more important - the owener LOVED it!

I'd highly recommend reading through the entire write-up and see what others have to say.

Leatherique Leather Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean

11. Thanks zvez thanked for this post
    Likes zvez liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's another modern car I recently detailed the seats...

Review: Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil & Prestine Clean - Ruby Red Napa Leather Seats - 2015 Dodge Challenger

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil & Leatherique Prestine Clean

And I also have a classic MGA coming in sometime in the future - this car has conventional dyed leather and I'll do the same treatment to it and as is my norm, take pictures and share in this thread.

Mike Phillips

The topic of "coated" leather causes a lot of confusion.

Me? I don't really want to become known as Mike the famous interior detailer. Like most people, I like polishing paint.

So what I like to do is simply pick established brands when choosing products for project and TRUST these companies hire chemists that actually know what the heck they're doing. Then what I do is read and follow the directions instead of trying to look of ingredients via MSDS sheets or listening to self-appointed experts on everything in the online word.

That's just me though...

14. Thanks zvez thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast