autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

Did you notice the product darkening the paint any?

I noticed in the pictures of the liquid itself and the flashing/sweating pictures, the product is gray/black in color. I've started to see how some products which have a darkening effect may look really glossy, but they also tend to mute metallic flake. It's all very slight, but I have noticed it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Did you notice the product darkening the paint any?
    No.

Clearcoats are for the most part non-porous or impermeable. The product you apply does not penetrate into the paint. The amount you leave behind is minimal so I didn't see any darkening effect from the graphene from a single application.

If the product could be layered, multiple multiple times then because it's a dark greyish blackish, then anything is possible.

It would be the least of my worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I noticed in the pictures of the liquid itself and the flashing/sweating pictures, the product is gray/black in color. I've started to see how some products which have a darkening effect may look really glossy, but they also tend to mute metallic flake. It's all very slight, but I have noticed it.

Here's something I wrote and a picture from the first post in this review.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Sweating - Black Beads of product coagulating on the surface

After you apply and spread the product over the surface, within a few seconds the product forms tiny beads called sweating. These beads have a grey/blackish appearance because the Graphene is a grey/blackish color. This is NORMAL.

Here's another picture I took and shared in post #5

Now follow me, in the glass beaker it looks pretty black. Right?

But as I poured the product back into the bottle - you can see it's a very translucent or clear black. That is - it's not like dirty motor oil or molasses.

Here's what I'm talking about...

So darkening paint via the color of the product itself would be the least of my worries.

And just to note - not you per se, but I have seen other people confuse darkening with restoring clarity. When a clearcoat is weathered, when it has millions of swirls and scratches - the swirls and scratches turn the clear layer of paint OPAQUE. It dull the appearance of the color coat under the clear.

When we do paint correction, either compounding or polishing to remove the swirls and scratches we restore clarity to the clearcoat so the true color of the color coat or basecoat is revealed.

This can be seen as a "darkening effect" BUT we are not actually changing the color of the basecoat and that's easy to understand why and that's because it's UNDER the clearcoat. We are not "touching" it thus we can have no effect on it.

Makes sense?

Years ago Meguiar's claimed that M26 could darken paint but not by dying it via the product but by bending light INTO the paint. I have some literature on this somewhere in my antique wax collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike-thanks for your review , I read it a couple times and I’m still not getting an idea of how long you should wait before you try and clear/buff it off… Can you comment?
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

This works exactly as shown by Mike’s review. A couple of weeks ago I had a customer that needed the protection on his RAM and I was partly completed with Plasma coat. Lost daylight and had to return next day to complete the coating but was now expecting rain to come in the next 24-hours. Truck is outside every hour so needed something easy and protective. My new bottle of the new product was put to the test.

It was and to this day working perfectly through multiple storms and going strong. Owner is happy and for this test using it on the chrome wheels as well. All good

Will try to post photo of final result.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review and thank you Mike. Like everything else, time will tell. I believe that graphene is in its infancy, and waiting for the chemical engineering and chemistry to catch up, so it can be used as a more long-term product.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post

Mike-thanks for your review , I read it a couple times and I’m still not getting an idea of how long you should wait before you try and clear/buff it off… Can you comment?

Hi Glen,

You should let it dry to a haze BEFORE wiping it off.

To go deeper, which is what I do against my will, here's what I shared based upon my experience.

When FULLY DRIED to a haze - the product can be a tick sticky to wipe off. It's not bad but I want to be very clear and accurate. I know there are some products that wipe-off SUPER EASY. This isn't like that. I believe the reason it's a tick sticky to wipe off is because after the carrying agents evaporate off, what's left is SUBSTANTIAL. Meaning, you're leaving behind a lot of SOLIDS. This is a real product, not water.

I applied to the entire car and then got busy doing other things. We're in the middle of shooting a TON of new video for TV - it's not like I'm out in the garage with just this one thing to do. So not only did this product dry to a haze, it was on the car for at least another half hour before I was able to get back to it. So I noticed it wipe off a tick sticky and this is because it was FULLY dried to a haze.

This is why I wrote how to apply and wipe-off the way I did.

Me? I'm in great physical shape. It doesn't bother me if anything is hard to wipe off be it a compound, polish or hard wax. I have a high level of skill, I have a high level of experience and an air-conditioned shop to work in. So I applied to the entire car at one time and then wiped off.

I also know there are some people that are older, not in perfect physical condition, maybe weak shoulders, etc. If this describes a person then I recommended applying to ONE PANEL. Allow to haze, about 5 minutes. Then wipe-off.

Doing it this way is a lot easier than the way I did it.

I don't want to give everyone the wrong idea - it's not HARD to wipe off. But it is a tick sticky and the longer you wait the harder the film of product you've applied will dry and set-up and the stickier it will be to remove.

But seriously - it's not bad. Pick your poison or approach - apply to panel at a time or entire car at a time. Just be sure to have quality microfiber towels to use for wipe-off.

ALSO

Here's something a person can do - because we're all working in different environments, temperature, humidity, wind flow, (wind or air flow can have an impact), because we're all working in different envrionments and have different skills and abilities do this,

THE FIRST TIME YOU USE THIS PRODUCT

Just apply to one panel. Allow the product to dry to a haze. Then wipe-off.

From your experience applying and removing from this one panel - determine for yourself if you will be better off working panel-by-panel or if you want and can apply to the entire car and then wipe-off.

The above is simple technique to guide you.

Great question - thank you for asking.

8. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike I’m gonna do what I usually do with any new product; try it on my wife’s car!…

We’re turning in our HRV very soon (lease) I’m gonna do the one panel method on the rear quarter to get an idea of how tough the buff off is....
    Glen -

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

Good review and thank you Mike. Like everything else, time will tell.

I believe that graphene is in its infancy, and waiting for the chemical engineering and chemistry to catch up, so it can be used as a more long-term product.

Completely agree. New technology takes some time to get into the hands of enough people plus the "time factor" to sort everything out.

One other comment. Because you have attended my 3-day detailing class and as such you know first-hand how hands-on these classes are, the chemist, David Gutierrez also attended a class. It wasn't a 3-day class here, which arguably is the best, most hands-on experience, but he did attend a 2-day Roadshow Class. I was lucky to be able to FULLY PHOTO DOCUMENT this roadshow class, something that is hard to always do because processing the pictures taken at any class and then making them magically appear on a vBulletin discussion forum is time consuming. A monkey can put a picture on Facebook or Instagram, it takes knowledge and skill to put pictures on a forum the way I do it.

Here's the class he attended,

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

David Gutierrez

Here's David using a RUPES polisher on a modern Tbird during the RUPES detailing class.

Here's David's feedback,

Quote Originally Posted by bsbiochem View Post
    Mike,

Thank you for the amazing class! I am still sore from muscle groups I have not felt in years! Your approach to hands-on instruction is how I learn best and you are a great hands-on teacher.

I know you love "The Beast", but I thought it was too powerful for me.

You put together an excellent curriculum and a great team to learn with. Some of us walked in there with little experience and all of us walked away ready to detail our own cars.

In my opinion, this class should be a requirement for pro detailers so they know how to properly detail a car and speak with customers.

Thank you Praxis Detailing for hosting and providing some amazing & expensive cars for us to detail.

Regards,
    David Gutierrez
    Research and Development Lab Manager
    303® Products

And here's my point...

Spending 2 days with a real chemist allowed me to pick his brain and ask him a lot of questions. I always key-in on any chemists in my classes because quite simply, I know they know more than I. I got a real good feel for his expertise in chemistry but also his passion for his craft and quite simply - this gives me confidence in his talent to create this new technology. If I had not worked with him in a classroom situation I have to admit - I would have less confidence. It's the human elements of social interaction that create trust.

And for any company reading this into the future
    I strongly recommend you send your chemists to one of my classes. I guarantee you - no matter how much they know or think they know - they will have a GREAT learning experience. I always tell my students to get a good nights sleep the night before the first day of class because my classes are all on-your-feet, hands-on learning. There ain't no time for sitting around in chairs.

So yeah, it does take time for new technology to get out into the hands of professionals like you as well as other pros and enthusiasts and with enough time and use - a consensus will come to fruition. My hunch with this product/technology is the consensus will be positive. Especially considering the application process and that at the time of my typing this - it's ONLY $17.99 a bottle.

11. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike I’m gonna do what I usually do with any new product; try it on my wife’s car!…
    Ha ha.... that's funny.

We’re turning in our HRV very soon (lease) I’m gonna do the one panel method on the rear quarter to get an idea of how tough the buff off is....

Please do.

Mike Phillips

I asked David and his colleague Drake in the 303 R&D department if they could take a few pictures of the graphene in it's RAW FORM.

Thanks guys!

I have saying, it goes like this,

The little things are the BIG things...

It's not just these pictures taken in your laboratory, it's the fact that upon my request you both took the time to take the pictures and send them for everyone to see.

A picture tells a thousand words...

Sometimes, a pictures sells a thousand products.

Real chemists with real graphene and real pictures.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast