autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS 15 & 21 - 1973 Camaro Z28- Paint Correction

Review: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS 15 & 21 - 1973 Camaro Z28- Paint Correction

New Tools from Griot's Garage!

I was recently give 3 brand new tools from Griot's Garage to test out and write a review for including the new GR3 Mini Rotary and the new BOSS 15 and 21 long stroke random orbital polishers.

No mock-up

I don't do mock-up very well. This means I need a real car with real defects to give these new tools a real test.

Something happened to the car?

When I say something happened? I mean something bad happened. Because SEMA show in Las Vegas was cancelled due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, we held a LIVE virtual SEMA here at Autogeek. For eye-candy in the background and for some product demonstrations, I asked the owner if we could borrow the car for about a week. The owner was kind and said no problem and dropped his incredibly cool Z28 off at Autogeek for Yancy, our SEMA guests and myself to use.

The car left with a show car finish

While the car left with a show car finish, upon inspecting the car after it arrived, and this would be approximately one month later after the 3-day detailing class, a walk-around the car using the Griot's Garage Swirl Finder Light revealed most of the car now had light swirls and scratches. There was also a bumpy feel to the paint, as though it had overspray? I know my class washed, clayed, did paint correction and then sealed the paint so I was surprised to see and feel how the paint had gone down hill in such a short span of time. I checked with the owner and asked him if anything had happened to the car and that's when he said besides driving it, (which I would do to), he took it in for some bodywork and paint at a collision shop. Now everything makes sense.

Before Pictures

So here's the condition of the paint before I tested out and used the new BOSS 15mm and 21mm long stroke orbital polishers.

Using the new Griot's tools

After photo-documenting the current condition of the paint on the Camaro it was time to get busy. I always like to get a few pictures of myself doing the work otherwise me telling you I used the tools is just words.

The NEW Griot's Garage BOSS 21 in action on the major body panels.

This is the Griot's BOSS Yellow Foam Perfecting Pad and I'm using the Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant.

Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant = Unique AIO

The BOSS Finishing Sealant as the 2 words in the name imply, has a blend of both Griot's proprietary abrasive technology and sealant technology making it an AIO or All-in-One.

In other words, it has the ability to remove swirls and scratches while at the same time leaving the paint sealed with synthetic protection.

The new BOSS 21 has a TON of power.

The new BOSS 21 had no problems tackling the rounded body panels.

Here's the NEW Griot's Garage BOSS 15 i action tackling the insets on the top of the hood.

For the BOSS 15 I'm using the same pad and product as I used with the BOSS 21 only I'm using the smaller 5.5" yellow foam perfecting pad as it's the correct size for the 5" backing plate on the BOSS 15.

The smaller diameter pad was a perfect match for getting down into this inset area...

I preach and teach and practice myself to always machine polish the glass and britework when detailing a car.

Here's the entire car machine corrected and sealed using the Griot's BOSS Finishing Sealant.

Wipe off

This product when allowed to dry wipes off super easy. Products like this enable you to buff out the entire car before wiping the product off.

This helps because the residue acts as a visual indicator showing you areas you have already buffed and areas that still need attention.

Besides easy wipe-off, the BOSS Finishing Sealant leaves the paint looking super glossy as well as slick and slippery.

2. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: 1973 Camaro Z28 - Griot's BOSS 15 & 21 - Paint Correctio

Continued....

Here's the after shots...

Here's everything I used,

Review & Comments

Powerful - Smooth - Easy-to-use

The above 5 words pretty much describe the new long stroke polishers from Griot's. Heck, I tough the last versions of these two tool were great but these latest version move the bar for performance, power and quality to a higher level. The build-quality of these newest versions of the BOSS 15 and 21 long stroke polishers is top notch as I show in this article here.

These tools are as solid as sledge hammers and the style and performance of a modern sports car. Everything about these tools is well though out and this sinks in as you work around the car. The rubber grips at the front and rear and around the tool body make gripping easy for securely holding the tools without excess muscle or effort on your part. The speed trigger is like the throttle on a Ninja Motorcycle, pull on the trigger just a little and hear the motor come to life, squeeze it hard all the way and be ready for some power!

Both tools are lightweight compared to their sizes and low vibration, I think they are even a tick quieter than their predecessors. The previous versions were so well-built I was surprised to find out Griot's has introduced new and improved versions because it's pretty hard to improve on perfection but that said - they did it. The new BOSS 15mm and BOSS 21mm long stroke orbital polishers are solid tool investments for anyone looking to add a long-stroke, free spinning random orbital polisher to their tool collection.

PLUS - with the wide-spectrum of BOSS buffing pads available and the versatility and efficiency of the Griot's BOSS Creams, with the Griot's BOSS SYSTEM there's nothing you can't tackle from Motorcycles to RVs and everything in-between.

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage BOSS G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

All Griot's Products

All Griot's BOSS Tools, Pads and Products - Plus 4 BOSS videos for more info!

4. Likes Craig Encinitas, VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: 1973 Camaro Z28 - Griot's BOSS 15 & 21 - Paint Correctio

Continued....

And here's some artistic photography work capturing the popular look of the front of these iconic Camaros.

Fairly simple collection of tools, pads and products considering the results.

6. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS 15 & 21 - 1973 Camaro Z28- Paint Correction

Further info....

Here's my other write-ups for the new tools from Griot's Garage

What's in the box? NEW Griot's BOSS 15mm & 21mm Long-Stroke Polishers

What's in the box? Griot's GR3 Mini Rotary Polisher!

The Griot's Garage GR3 Mini Rotary Polisher

Removing RIDS with the Griot's GR3 Rotary Polisher - 1973 Camaro Z28

The Griot's GR3 Rotary Polisher

8. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Here's a brand new video with Rod Kraft from Griot's walking us through all the new Griot's tools.

10. Likes VISITOR, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I see two different thicknesses of pads on your cart in some of those pictures?

Short version: Love my new G15. Have questions about pad selection.

Long version...

Here is why I ask:

I received my G15 a few weeks ago and used it on my BMW 4-Series and the Porsche Cayenne I've posted up here recently. Overall I love the polisher and it is totally different league from my trust old HF unit I've used for years.

Since I haven't started collecting new pads for this polisher, I used a combination of Lake Country Flat and Thin Pro pads I have on hand. The Cayenne has acres of flat-ish sheet metal and the thin pads worked great. The same for areas like the roof, hood, and trunk lid of the BMW. Where I ran into issues with the long-throw polisher was trying to keep the full face of a thin pads working on curved surfaces. On the Cayenne, this was p primarily on the fenders and around the rear hatch. On the BMW...well...I don't think there is a hardly a flat surface anywhere on the car! It is much more noticeable with a more powerful, longer throw tool. I never really had this issue with a "lesser" polisher.

When I swapped out the Thin Pro's for the thicker LC Flat pads, I found it much easier to do the work as the extra thickness allowed the pad to conform better to the contours of the surface.

Do you use a combination of pads as well? The new Griots BOSS pads all look pretty thin.

Do I just need to adjust my technique for a long through polisher instead of using different pads? If so, I'll take that discussion elsewhere and not railroad the discussion of these new Griots products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Do I see two different thicknesses of pads on your cart in some of those pictures?
    Nope. I purposefully used all Griot's pads and products in all my Griot's reviews.

I would use their microfiber towels too except I don't have a good quantity to draw from so I use the edgeless towels, which I have HUNDREDS of for my classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Short version: Love my new G15. Have questions about pad selection.

Long version...

Here is why I ask:

I received my G15 a few weeks ago and used it on my BMW 4-Series and the Porsche Cayenne I've posted up here recently. Overall I love the polisher and it is totally different league from my trust old HF unit I've used for years.

Since I haven't started collecting new pads for this polisher, I used a combination of Lake Country Flat and Thin Pro pads I have on hand. The Cayenne has acres of flat-ish sheet metal and the thin pads worked great. The same for areas like the roof, hood, and trunk lid of the BMW. Where I ran into issues with the long-throw polisher was trying to keep the full face of a thin pads working on curved surfaces. On the Cayenne, this was p primarily on the fenders and around the rear hatch. On the BMW...well...I don't think there is a hardly a flat surface anywhere on the car! It is much more noticeable with a more powerful, longer throw tool. I never really had this issue with a "lesser" polisher.

When I swapped out the Thin Pro's for the thicker LC Flat pads, I found it much easier to do the work as the extra thickness allowed the pad to conform better to the contours of the surface.

Do you use a combination of pads as well? The new Griots BOSS pads all look pretty thin.

Do I just need to adjust my technique for a long through polisher instead of using different pads? If so, I'll take that discussion elsewhere and not railroad the discussion of these new Griots products.

Here's the deal at least as how I see it and I'm taking into consideration that there's a slew of Griot's staff that have read all my recent Griot's write-ups and will read these recent write-ups.

The original thing foam pads, at least to my knowledge were back when I coined this phrase and wrote an article by the same name back in 2010 - as I type on Monday, November 16th, 2020 - that's over 10 years ago.

Thin is in...

Back then - these were the "New kid on the block". The pads on the right hand side were the thinnest pads around at the time.

In 2014 - Meguiar's introduced their foam discs. Here's my review from then....

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

In 2015 - Griot's introduced the first generation of BOSS tools, pads and products and the new BOSS foam pads were super thin.

Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

BOSS Buffing Pads
    The pad system for the BOSS long orbit stroke orbital polishers is simple and straightforward and the color coding is instinctive relative to the majority of color codes used in the buffing pad market.

The pads come in both 5.5" for use with the 5" backing plate and 6.5" pads for use with the 6" backing plates.

Then in 2015 - LC introduced the ThinPro foam pads - note; ThinPro is one word. These pads are equivalent to the Meguiar's Foam Discs.

Here's my review from 2015

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Buffing Pads exclusively at Autogeek

Then I wrote this in 2016 to equally exploit all the super thin pad options

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

Super thin 5.5" foam buffing pads

RUPES also introduced a super thin foam pad in 2017 when they launched the Mille

Review: RUPES BIGFOOT MILLE LK 900E by Mike Phillips

To the best of my knowledge and recollection - the above is it and also accurate.

Here's a little history lesson for those that don't know...

The super thin pads were the answer to the anemic Porter Cable 7424 free spinning random orbital polisher. Because it's a short stroke polisher, (8mm), these thinner foam pads were easier to maintain pad rotation when using this "type" of tool.

It's still true today. These thinner foam pads on short stroke free spinning polishers work best for correction and polishing work.

The original BOSS 15mm and 21mm polishers were introduced with the new (at that time), super thin BOSS foam pads. Today there's been a few small changes to the current BOSS foam pads, but they are still very thin.

Here's the deal - the first generation BOSS polishers had more than enough power to maintain pad rotation with slightly thicker foam pads and the brand new current version, (that I just shared in this write-up), also have more than enough power to maintain pad rotation with slightly thicker foam pads.

That said, all the BOSS tools work great with the current thin foam BOSS buffing pads. Yes you can use other pads, which in most cases are going to be thicker, and if you see good pad rotation and a "balanced feel" or low vibration when using thicker pads then go for it.

From my usage, the BOSS foam and microfiber pads work great on BOSS tools.

Ah.... a walk down foam pad memory lane...