autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

What's in the box? NEW Griot's BOSS 15mm & 21mm Long-Stroke Polishers

What's in the box? NEW Griot's BOSS 15mm & 21mm Long-Stroke Polishers

Using the Griot's BOSS 15 Long-Stroke Polisher on a 1973 Chevy Z28 Camaro

Griot's Garage BOSS 15mm & 21mm Long-Throw Random Orbital Polishers

From the manufacturer

What the BOSS 15 and BOSS 21 have in common

• Powerful 1100-watt, 10 amp motor, delivers the torque to maintain consistent pad rotation for advanced paint correction.
    • Suit the speed to your need 6 speed settings.
    • Speed dial accessible for right- and left-hand users.
    • Fully variable speed trigger throttle with trigger lock.
    • 10-foot quick-connect 16 AWG SJO rubber power cord
    • Both polishers can use either a 5” or 6” Pad system interchangeably.

Where the BOSS 15 and BOSS 21 are different

BOSS 15

• OPM Range = 3000 - 5300
    • Orbit stroke length = 15mm

BOSS 21

• OPM Range = 3000 - 4500
    • Orbit stroke length = 21mm

The NEW Griot's BOSS 15mm & 21mm Long-Throw Random Orbital Polisher

So let's take a look at what is inside the box...

First - everything that comes in the box is the same - so I'm just going to walk through what comes in the the BOSS G15 polisher and the items in the box.

In the box are the tool, zippered nylon storage bag, informational chart showcasing the tools and related pads, products and accessories.

Here's the polisher, the owner's manual, everything that comes in the nylon storage bag. The backing plate comes attached but I've removed it in order to showcase the various benefits and features of the tool and backing plate.

The nylon zippered pouch ensures you don't LOOSE the little stuff...

Be sure to fill out the warranty registration card and mail it into Griot's to register your tool for the warranty.

The owner's manual is well written and includes all the pertinent information you need for operating the tool safely.

This is actually a diagram in the owner's manual pointing out the location of the various components.

These are called "Tool Rests"
    You might think it's no big deal but without a tool rest, every time you set your polisher down, without it - the polisher will roll over onto it's side. If you're new to machine polishing you might not know this, but as you work around a car you set your polisher down a LOT. And because these are soft rubber you can set them down on a painted surface safely.

The rear tool rest is simply the soft rubber portion of the tool body.

Dual access Speed Dial - Very cool feature, works great for adjusting speed-on-the-fly whether you're right-handed or left-handed.

Carbon Brush Inspection Cap - These can be removed using a flat head screwdriver to enable you to inspect or replace the carbon brushes.

Contaminant Protection Screen - Keeps dirt, dust and debris from getting inside the tool body.

These can be removed and cleaned.

Variable Speed Trigger Throttle

Trigger Lock Button - So important to make it a habit to lock your trigger when buffing for hours.

Vented backing plate

The air vents allow air to be flushed through from the tool body through the head of the polisher and out through the face of the pad.

Cross-drilled face - allows air ventilation

Velcro-free lip
    This enables you to EASILY grab the edge of your buffing pad to get it started to pull the pad off. Genius.

Here's the reciprocating components including the counterweight, spindle, bearing and housing.

The Griot's BOSS tools use high quality sealed bearings

This is the bearing...

Technique Tip

When attaching the backing plate to the spindle, both have a rectangular slot with rounded ends.

In order to take out any guesswork and make sure you have the backing plate flush to the spindle - take and place a black mark using a Sharpie Marker in-line with the direction of the length of the rectangular slot on the back side.

This is FLUSH

Then insert and tighten down the backing plate bolt with the include hex head wrench.

Also in the box...

Below are pictures of the factory bolt, two weighted bolt options, a 5mm hex head wrench and replacement carbon brushes

Weighted Bolts

The silver bolt on the left is the factory installed bolt. The black and gold bolts are tuning bolts.

Air intake vents

These are to cool the inside of the polisher head and all the reciprocating components plus the backing plate and pad.

Double-shot rubber overmold for easy gripping and increased stability while holding and operating the polisher

Finger grooves in the forward facing rubber overmold on the head of the polisher

A very well thought-out polisher that includes everything you need in the box to get started fast.

My comments...

Like the first generation BOSS polishers, the new BOSS polishers are improved and refined. Griot's has taken an already proven tool design to an even higher level of performance and reliability. If you're still working by hand, make the jump to machine polishing. Not only are the Griot's Garage BOSS 15mm and 21mm Long-Throw Polishers safe and easy to use - they make working in your garage - on your car - fun!

Plus a complete line of buffing pads, compounds and polishes to maximize the ability of the BOSS polishers and enable you to tackle anything in your garage.

On Autogeek.com

Griots Garage BOSS G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

All Griot's Products

All Griot's BOSS Tools, Pads and Products - Plus 4 BOSS videos for more info!

2. Thanks Mike Hoekstra, Bruno Soares thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra, Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: What's in the box? NEW Griot's BOSS 15mm & 21mm Polishers

More...

Recently Rod Kraft from Griot's was our guest to discuss in-depth, all of the new and existing Griot's Garage polishers.

At the 14:50 Time Stamp, Rod Kraft explains in detail the design idea behind the weighted backing plates bolts. The entire video though is filled with lots of meaty information about not just the tools but also the new microfiber pads and the BOSS abrasive technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool..what generation are these Boss machines?

Post Thanks / Like

nice, thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Great write-up Mike.

I really enjoyed the video with you and Rod back when it first aired.

Good stuff.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

If these perform as good as the G9 we used at the detailing class, I may need a new tool....
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    If these perform as good as the G9 we used at the detailing class, I may need a new tool....
    You know damn well you're gonna get one, Mike. Just get it over with............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to hear your thoughts on this generation of polishers vs the previous generation. Also, didn't they do away with the BOSS name?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I’m not the only one who still marks backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    I grabbed the G15 during our last polishing session and gave it a try, Rod was packing it up at the end of Saturday for his return. Not leaving it for Mike Phillips to test out.

Yes Spikey Mike, if you are needing a corded 15mm (or the 21mm) long throw with tons of power, smooth, perfect for most hands, lifetime warranty, and half-price compared to RUPES, then this is your next purchase.

I have heard that Griot's did have a bad batch of first-run machines due to the backing plate and stopped their production. GG stands behind the product and anyone with it were given full warranty. These latest units are supposed to be corrected and from my light use, they are good to add in your tools of choice.

This was the best photo review I have seen on those machines. Mike Phillips did take time to record just about everything one could even do without doing a complete tear down of the machine and voiding the warranty. I'll let GG team give us those insights.

Spikey Mike, put either one on your Santa list and give it your bride.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast