autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

SONAX PNS on Black Powder Coating Paint - Bass Shop Pro Boat Trailer

SONAX PNS on Black Powder Coating Paint - Bass Shop Pro Boat Trailer

SONAX PNS or Polymer Net Shield

I've been working in the car and boat detailing industyr all my life now. I've seen it all and continue to see all that's new. I cannot count how many times someone has come to me and asked,

What can I use on Powder Coat Paint?

And the normal answer is - nothing.

There's simply never been anything that works good while at the same time doesn't stain this type of paint. This last weekend while ceramic coating a Bass Shop Pro Nitro Bass Boat, I keep looking at the boat trailer and wondering,

What can I do to make it look better (so it matches the show room shine on the boat), but also what can I use to protect this type of paint?

As I worked around the boat itself I thought about the paint, it has a textured surface. This textured surface makes it a challenge because an ordinary wax or sealant will cream over it and STAIN it. And then I thought about our old friend, SONAX Polymer Net Shield. This is a very unique product. In fact - I don't know of anything else like it on the market.

Aerosol

SONAX Polymer Net Shield or PNS for short, comes in an aerosol can. It's a thin, clear liquid that is super fast and easy to apply and it doesn't stain. It also creates a super hydrophobic surface BUT it's NOT a ceramic coating. In fact, it's so unique I wrote a special article for it just a few years ago when ceramic coatings hit the "tipping point"

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

After giving it much thought I was confident this would be the perfect product to protect this type of paint as well as restore a deep, dark sheen appearance. So I figured, lets' give it a try.

Here's the boat and the boat trailer - Bass Pro Shops Nitro Z19 Bass Boat

Here's the trailer,

And here's the black powder coat paint.

This trailer is 2 years old and the black powder coat paint is already fading.

Towards the front fender - it's actually turning white.

SONAX PNS

This is actually A SONAX applicator pad too - I keep these in the garage for my classes. They work great for all kinds of things.

And this is the best part - not muss, no fuss no cuss - just wipe it on, work it in and move on....

Can you see it?

Now can you see it? It's turned the dull, ugly lifeless black powder coat paint dark black again with a rich sheen.

Untreated

Treating by wiping the PNS over the paint and the lettering....

BOOM! LOOK how much better the treated area looks as compared to the untreated area.

Day and Nigh Difference!

Then I talked PJ into finishing it.

DONE!

Review

Just as I expected, this product went on fast and easy and made the black powder coating paint look fabulous!

How well will it protect and last? I don't know but when you don't have a lot of choices (actually zero choices), it's all of a sudden - your best option. The good news is I'll see this boat over the course of the next year or two and I'll be going fishing on it in the very near future. So when we pull the boat out of the lake I'll take some pictures of how the SONAX PNS is performing and update this thread.

On Autogeek.com

SONAX Polymer Net Shield 75 ml. - $9.99

SONAX Polymer Net Shield 340 ml. $29.99

Here's the link to the green microfiber applicator pad

SONAX Care Pad for Plastic

SONAX Polymer Net Shield = good stuff....

2. Thanks Diner, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes mbkite, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: SONAX PNS on Black Powder Coating Paint - Bass Shop Pro Boat Trailer

More....

Here's the write-up for the boat detail itself...

Dr. Beasley's Z1 - Bass Pro Shops Nitro Z19 Bass Boat - Ceramic Coating Gelcoat

Stay tuned for updates...

4. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really good tip. There are a lot of vehicles on the road now with powder coated parts. Generally I coat them with CarPro DLuX with fantastic results. This is a much quicker and cost effective method(especially for production details)!

Stored this one in the memory bank.

Thanks Mike!
    Jim

6. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AHHHHHH - I can't believe I forgot to order this on the last sale! I got so caught up with other items (coatings, compound, polish) that I forgot to add this.
    I still have some, but....ah man. next sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Really good tip. There are a lot of vehicles on the road now with powder coated parts. Generally I coat them with CarPro DLuX with fantastic results. This is a much quicker and cost effective method(especially for production details)!

Stored this one in the memory bank.

Thanks Mike!
    Thanks indeed, Mike!!

I, too, will keep this in memory banks! This could come in handy on those 4x4 trucks that have aftermarket bumpers and "rock sliders" - hmm, maybe I'll ask a friend if I can test on his 4Runner.