autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: SONAX Insect Remover - How to avoid getting a new paint job

Review: SONAX Insect Remover - How to avoid getting a new paint job

SONAX Insect Remover

What is it?

A spray on liquid that uses an enzyme to chemically dissolve bug guts.

What does it do?

Dissolves and re-liquefies dried bug guts so they can be wiped off or washed off.

When do I use it?

Whenever you discover bug splatter on your car's exterior.

Why should I use it?

To prevent damage to your car's paint via the acidic and corrosive characteristics of bug guts.

Here's the back-story...

So my brother-in-law PJ dropped his boat and truck off yesterday for some upcoming projects. I walked outside to greet him and as I walked by the front of the truck I saw what must have been a HUGE FREAKING BUG!

Here's the front of the truck. See it?

Now remember - this is just the GUTS. This means the bug had to be much larger!

Eww.... ick....

These bug guts appeared to be fully dried. There was no liquidity or goo to the guts at all. That stuff was a dry as bones in the desert.

One thing that works against fossil fuel powered vehicles is the engine HEAT that is generated, which is transferred to the sheet metal hood where it plus the Florida sun bakes dead buts on hard.

PERMANENT DAMAGE

The acids in bug guts can be so corrosive that they will eat or etch through the urethane clearcoat finish right through to the basecoat. Once this happens - it's game over.

You then have two choices,

1. Touch-up paint
    2. Repaint

Neither are going to make you happy.

Better Solution?

REMOVE THE BUG GUTS AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!

The SONAX Insect Remover uses an enzyme that chemically dissolves dried bug guts and also neutralizes the gross mess.

Because I like my brother-in-law, he's a cool cat, and knowing the SONAX Insect Remover is just inside down outside the garage, I walked as fast as I can and grabbed the Insect Remover and a couple of clean microfiber towels and went to work.

Spray spray spray...

Dwelling and dissolving...

Turning solids back into liquids

As I stood there and watched, in a matter of seconds, the SONAX Insect Remover began dissolving and liquefying the bug guts. It was impressive to see.

Wiping...

Clean and SAFE!

There's does not appear to be any chemical etching or staining to the area but there does appear to be a small chip in the area but if you look at the original picture, it's a few inches away from the impact zone. I'll fix this with some Dr. Color Chip while the truck is here.

Review

First - I've been to the SONAX company in Neuberg, Germany. They are HUGE. When I left Meguiar's they had 5 chemist. When I visited SONAX - they had 30 chemists! And one thing for sure, SONAX makes great products and also very SAFE products.

Second - Those bug guts were dried on hard like concrete. The massive size of the splatter zone was not just huge it was gross. I actually figured there would be some staining of the paint surface but luckily - nothing. I've used this product before and it's always worked great. But to spray it on and watch it immediately go to work dissolving the layer of dried bug guts was impressive. I would not have been surprised if it would have taken longer and/or if it would have taken multiple applications. But what you see in the pictures is the real-deal. I sprayed the product on, waited less than a minute and then wiped the paint clean, dry and shiny.

I've seen the damage bug guts will do to car paint. It's never pretty and it's rare you can simply do some paint correction and make the damage disappear. The best thing you can do is remove the offending, corrosive guts on the paint as fast as you can. Then ascertain the damage if any.

If you live in an area where you're all to familiar with what you see in the pictures above - then next time you're placing an order with Autogeek, get yourself some SONAX Insect Remover and keep it and some clean microfiber towels behind the seat for Bug Guts Emergencies!

On Autogeek.com

SONAX Insect Remover

Cobra Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel - 3 Pack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SONAX Insect Remover - How to avoid getting a new paint job

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

So my brother-in-law PJ dropped his boat and truck off yesterday for some upcoming projects. I walked outside to greet him and as I walked by the front of the truck I saw what must have been a HUGE FREAKING BUG!

Now remember - this is just the GUTS. This means the bug had to be much larger!

Maybe he hit Mothra ? Godzilla could never kill her but that Chevy did !

Seriously though, the Sonax Insect Remover is some wicked good stuff, picked it up during the big sale back in March. No need for the old bug sponge anymore, using this is a lot safer. Nice spray bottle too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

Maybe he hit Mothra?

Godzilla could never kill her but that Chevy did !

That's funny.

Normally seeing bug splatter on a car I wouldn't go out of my way to take pictures and write an article, but the size of the splatter was so impressive, (not sure that's the best word?), and it's first-nature to do no harm or to see no harm done, I did go ahead and take care of it as well as showcase the SONAX product.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

Seriously though, the Sonax Insect Remover is some wicked good stuff, picked it up during the big sale back in March. No need for the old bug sponge anymore, using this is a lot safer. Nice spray bottle too.

Thanks for sharing your experience. And you're right, it is a nice product and chemically dissolving bug guts is safer to the paint versus scrubbing it with a bug sponge.

Mike Phillips

More...

Just to comment on bug sponges.

These things are safe on hard paint, but on softer paints they will scratch or "mar" the paint. For anyone reading this into the future, the correct way to use a bug sponge is to FIRST get it wet in some soapy water.

This will actually soften the coarse feeling sponge. It will still be "scrubby", but it will be a lot less aggressive.

Here's a basic Bug Sponge. When it's dry like this it's very stiff and coarse.

Dunk it into some clean soapy water and then squeeze a few times...

This will load it up with soapy water plus soften it up a bit...

Pre-soften dried bug guts

Even with a bug sponge, if the bug splatter or bug guts are DRY - then do your car's paint a favor and get it wet first. Either spray the area down with water or place a wet towel or even wet paper towel onto the dried bug splatter as this will HOLD the water onto the dried guts so the water can go to work doing what it does - dissolve and soften.

After you place the wet towel on the dried bug splatter

Add even more water so the towel is completely saturated. The towel holds the water onto the body panel and now the water can do it's thing.

Just a friendly tip to help you remove corrosive bug splatter without marring your car's finish.

You could also spray the SONAX Insect Remover onto the bug spatter and a section of the towel, place this on the bug splatter and then get the towel wet with some water. Now you would have SONAX and water working for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the yellow bug sponge like the one pictured does a great job, but is murder on soft Toyota paint. The green bug scrubber pad from Sonax is much softer and works just as well.

I always try to use a bug remover with the hope I never have to break out any pad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've recently switched over to the Sonax bug remover mid summer/fall and it is a good product and does a decent job removing stuck on insects.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Pre-soften dried bug guts

Even with a bug sponge, if the bug splatter or bug guts are DRY - then do your car's paint a favor and get it wet first. Either spray the area down with water or place a wet towel or even wet paper towel onto the dried bug splatter as this will HOLD the water onto the dried guts so the water can go to work doing what it does - dissolve and soften.

After you place the wet towel on the dried bug splatter

Add even more water so the towel is completely saturated. The towel holds the water onto the body panel and now the water can do it's thing.

Just a friendly tip to help you remove corrosive bug splatter without marring your car's finish.

You could also spray the SONAX Insect Remover onto the bug spatter and a section of the towel, place this on the bug splatter and then get the towel wet with some water. Now you would have SONAX and water working for you.

Excellent tip Mike!
    I have been using this method for removing love bugs for several years - it works great and does not remove the LSP.

I dunk MF towels in my rinseless wash solution (I prefer thin towels since they 'stick' to non-horizontal surfaces better), and let them soak on the paint for 5-10 minutes (enough time clean a wheel or two). Then the bugs will usually just wipe off. For really bad love bugs I repeat with fresh towels.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

Excellent tip Mike!

I have been using this method for removing love bugs for several years - it works great and does not remove the LSP.

I dunk MF towels in my rinseless wash solution (I prefer thin towels since they 'stick' to non-horizontal surfaces better), and let them soak on the paint for 5-10 minutes (enough time clean a wheel or two). Then the bugs will usually just wipe off. For really bad love bugs I repeat with fresh towels.

Amazing how a simple technique can work so well and most important SAFELY.

I think my original article on using wet cloths and even bath towels dates back to 2005, I used the pictures from this "reply" to a person to create an article on AGO here in 2012.

Tips & Tricks: How to remove dried bug spatter or bug guts

The BIG PICTURE idea when trying to remove something like dried bug splatter or bird droppings is besides great products, find a way to do it safely.