autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Things you need to wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips

Things you need to wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips

I am continually asked,

How do I take care of the ceramic coating on my car?

I appreciate the trust people put into my recommendations so I wrote this little article with some pictures and explanations of the tools, towels, brushes I use to wash a car and I recommend you get to wash your car. I will not try to convince anyone to buy this stuff - you'll need to either trust me or by all means, feel free to do all your own testing and research and then come to your own conclusions.

Below are pictures with my comments and at the bottom of this article are the links to get your own car washing tools, towels, brushes and buckets.

The cart

The cart is the Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart. It holds your primary car washing bucket at waist level so guess what? No bending over. Plus it can be used to hold all your other car washing tools.

Here's the deal, the thing you're going to do the MOST to your car is WASH IT. Without this cart you will always be bending over again and again and again - each time you wash your car.

If you get the cart - no more bending over. Your wash towels and all your tools are elevated to waist high.

Me? I love the cart. I use it every time I wash my car with a water hose, waterless wash or rinseless wash.

The car wash

The car wash is a new product and it's the real-deal. It's called Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash. Each time you wash your car it deposits SiO2 onto your car's exterior. You use it sparingly. Like 2 to 3 cap fulls for 3 to 4 gallons of water. I'll include some links to articles I've written with before and after pictures of water beading from using ONLY this car wash.

The car washing towels - Flat Weave and Edgeless

Instead of using ONE wash mitt to wash your car you use MULTIPLE microfiber towels. The genius behind this is you swap to a clean, fresh towel for each new body panel instead of using a single wash mitt which by default and put swirls and scratches into your car's paint via dirt transfer. These are called Forrest Green Edgeless Towels. They are available in other colors but the key point is this style of towel is a FLAT WEAVE towel so it's less likely to become contaminated over time and thus less likely to put swirls and scratches into your car's paint.

Links to each color in the order I show them in this picture

Carbon Black Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth

Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloth

Crimson Red Edgeless Polishing Cloth

Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

Arctic White Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

The drying towels

The drying towels are 20" by 40" Guzzler Waffle Weave microfiber drying towels. Because they have a FLAT WEAVE - it's pretty much impossible for them to become contaminated and thus scratch your car's paint. It's all about using things that touch your car's paint that don't scratch it.

Grit Guard Inserts

These are basically plastic grills with vanes under them that position the top of the grill about 1" off the bottom of the bucket. You don't have to have them but dirt and other sharp pokey things build-up on the bottom of your buckets and the Grit Guard Inserts simply keep the things that touch your car's paint away from the sharp pokey things. NOTE: You should be washing and wiping your buckets CLEAN after each use so they are not filthy in the first place - the Grit Guard Inserts are just a little extra scratch prevention and peace-of-mind.

The Clean Dirty Towel Bucket

This is a bucket that you keep CLEAN.

After you use a towel to wash a body panel, for example the roof, after you wash the roof this towel is DONE being used. Now you place it into this CLEAN bucket so it remains off the ground or anywhere else where it can become contaminated. Maintaining a scratch-free, swirl fee finish is all about keeping the things that TOUCH your car's paint CLEAN and UNCONTAMINATED. It's really this simple.

Wash your towels

After you wash your car, immediately take your bucket of wet microfiber car wash towels to your washing machine and dump them in. Wash, dry, inspect, fold and then put away.

BONUS

While I originally intended to just show the above, the part about washing the CAR - you also need to wash your car's wheels and tires. GREAT brushes make the job of washing your wheels as fast as possible while making the work as easy as possible. Just the opposite can be said about junky brushes.

You need all three
    People always ask me which brush they should get out of the three pictures and here's the deal - you need all three.

Speed Master Brush - This brush is flexible and you can reach behind the spokes of your wheel and also get around the brake CALIPERS.

Speed Master Wheel Woolies Brush - This is for the wheel BARRELS. It's super strong and tough and you NEED it when trying to clean wheels that have baked-on brake dust on the inner barrel.

Wheel Woolies Wheel Face Brush - This is a MUST-HAVE wheel cleaning brush for the FACE of the wheel. Buy it and thank me later.

Wheel and Tire Bucket

Here's the deal, it never feels good or feels right to take a DRY wheel brush to a wheel. You've sprayed-on your wheel cleaner and next you want to agitate the cleaner and you want to use a wet, soapy brush. You CANNOT place your wheel brushes in the same bucket that you use to wash clearcoated body panels so you need a dedicated, separate bucket. Use any soap but the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 would be a good choice as it will coat your wheels each time you use it.

That's about as simple as I can keep this article and the least amount of things you really need to wash and dry your car and do a great job.

On Autogeek.com

Click on the item and it will take you to the item on the Autogeek.com store page.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 16 ounces

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 1 gallon

12 Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber towels

Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart

Speedmaster Wheel Brush

Wheel Woolies Wheel Brush

3 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels - 20 x 40 inches

BLACKFIRE Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer- 1 gallon

5 Gallon Professional Wash Bucket with Grit Guard - CLEAR with Dilution Measuring Lines

Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Wheel Brush

2. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Things you need to wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips

More...

This article shows you how to actually wash your car with the stuff you see above ONLY I've changed the car wash to the Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Towels

It's the TOWEL or MITT that is KEY to keeping your car scratch-free -Mike Phillips

Washing the roof with one towel....

And then this towel is done.

Click link below - read article - look at pictures - do this to your car.

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Mike Phillips

More...

And here's what I mean by having a WHEEL and TIRE Bucket

Wheel and Tire Brush Bucket

If you ever join the IDA - one of the questions on the Skill Validation tests is how many buckets does it take to do a proper car wash and the answer is 3 buckets. The third bucket being your Wheel & Tire Bucket. There you go, I just gave you an answer for the test.

Some soap for the brushes - helps to clean the wheels better and also helps to clean the brushes when your done.

Start by putting your DRY brushes in the bucket.

The 3 Brushes

Above in the first part of this article I shared 3 car washing brushes I use, I like I recommend to you.

Learn more and see them in action...

Must Have Wheel Cleaning Brushes that make cleaning wheels fast and easy

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Here's an example of how I use the Guzzlers....

Avoid water spots - The fast and simple way I dry my cars by Mike Phillips

Sorry no pictures of me drying the car with the towels - I was all by myself.

Step 3: Dry car

To dry this huge car I'm going to use two Guzzlers from start to finish.

Completely dry

And yes... both of the drying towels are completely wet with water removed off the car but the car is 100% dry and I didn't need a third towel.

Mike Phillips

One of the MOST common topics I'm involved in via some form of discussion is,

How long will BLANK Coating last?

Great question. There is no simple, standard answers.

It all comes down to how "we" TOUCH the paint after the coating is installed.

Wash your car carefully. The coating has the best chance to last as long as advertised and even longer.

Wash your car with a Brick? Nothing going to last very long.

Mike Phillips

Just bumping this because it went out in last night's newsletter.

For what it's worth - I wrote this to primarily send the "link" to people that I've coated their cars. There is no such thing as,

Set it and forget it

When it comes to your car's paint. Even the ceramic coated paint on your car can be scratched if you don't use clean, soft towels and wash mitts to "touch" the paint.

Also for what it's worth - what I wrote about the Grit Guard Cart is also true.

Most people don't and never will change out a set of spark plugs on the engine in their car.

BUT - most people will tend to wash and dry their car as a part of taking care of their investment. Once you have a handy, dandy roll-around cart to hold your car wash bucket plus all your car wash tools - yeah - you're going to say,

That guy was right.

Mike Phillips

Need the URL address for someone that wants to buy the cart.