autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating - 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I just clicked over to your write-up for the same car, same color and same overall condition. Nice work!

The Porsche I detailed had like 4-5 deeper scratches here and there and they polished out with the IGL compound. The Piano Plastic in front of and behind the sunroof glass was a little more marred than the paint and that's probably because it's super soft. It corrected super easy and the ceramic coating should keep it looking nicer longer.

After buffing out this car I would say the paint was on the medium/soft side. I wouldn't call it soft by any measure but it also wasn't hard.

How would you describe the paint on the Pcar you detailed?

Mine was also marred up on the roof. B-Pillar soft plastic up there for sure. Came out beautifully though. He just came by today to have me ceramic over top of the Paint Protection Film/PPF he had installed. Did the entire front end, headlights, entire hood, both front fenders, mirrors and the plastic front/back of sunroof.

Agree that the paint was medium. I've done a number of 911's and they are all about the same. Not rock-hard at all. IMO thus far Audi/VW continue to have the hardest paint thus when medium marring is present, I quote appropriately based on the amount of correction the customer is looking to achieve. The Porsche I did was a one-step with CarPro Essence. Being brand new there wasn't a ton of correction needed though.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

Mine was also marred up on the roof. B-Pillar soft plastic up there for sure. Came out beautifully though.
    Piano Plastic is easy to polish as long as you stick with safe abrasive technology and soft pads.

He just came by today to have me ceramic over top of the Paint Protection Film/PPF he had installed. Did the entire front end, headlights, entire hood, both front fenders, mirrors and the plastic front/back of sunroof.
    Good idea. I coated over all the PPF on this Porsche also.

Agree that the paint was medium.

And in my opinion, this is where we want car paint to be. Not so hard it's a pain in the butt to correct and not so soft that wiping it with a clean, quality microfiber towel scratches it.

Being brand new there wasn't a ton of correction needed though.
    My favorite cars to detail?

Car's that don't need much correction.

I actually had a guy on one of my other social media platforms call me out for working on a car in good condition. As though I never work on cars in bad condition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I learned this from Rob McCrary at SONAX. SONAX recommends using their glass cleaner with their Clay Disc and it not only works great but AGAIN - if you're claying a car, or using a CLAY DISC - this is in the context of prepping the car for paint correction.

So follow me,

You wash a car or in my case I use SONAX Glass Cleaner to clean the car.

I clay the car using SONAX Glass Cleaner - Now I'm CLEANING the car a second time. See where I'm going with this?

My entire goal is to get the car as CLEAN as possible in preparation for paint correction. Everything I do is always walking forward in the process, that is each step should be getting a car closer and closer to perfection, never walking or going backwards.
    Mike - have you tried other brands of glass cleaner for your waterless/rinseless/clay lube approach?

Thinking about, I suppose there's a few ways to look at it:

1: When the product maker themselves has this recommendation, seems like a pretty safe bet to just stick with what you know works.

2: Considering the bold font quoted above - even if you end up with slightly more light marring than you would get when using a standard clay lubricant, at least your surface will be as pure of a starting point as it can be, and you're doing a correction anyway.

3: Just like paint correction, a test spot would probably be a good idea the first time anyone tries this method. I would imagine you'd quickly find out if it was going to be more of a problem than a convenience.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

Mike - have you tried other brands of glass cleaner for your waterless/rinseless/clay lube approach?
    Probably - but for my classes - everyone gets their own STUFF. That is - if we're going of RUPES tools - everyone gets their own RUPES tool. If we're using the BOSS Fast Correction Cream - everyone gets their own bottle of Fast Correction Cream.

Starting to see the theme here? In my classes - NO ONE stands around with their hands in their pockets because they don't have the thing we're training on in the present moment.

M

Now let me apply this to SONAX Glass Cleaner - I have 20 bottles of SONAX Glass Cleaner so everyone has their own bottle for a Prep Wash. As the bottles get used up - as a good steward of our companies resources as well as a good steward of the Earth - I don't throw away empty bottles (for anything), I refill them for the next class.

SONAX Glass Cleaner is available in a 10 Liter Jug for refilling.

SONAX Glass Cleaner 10 Liter Jug

Plus it really is a nice product. I can't say that about all glass cleaners and I know cheap glass cleaners are just that - cheap.

Thinking about, I suppose there's a few ways to look at it:

1: When the product maker themselves has this recommendation, seems like a pretty safe bet to just stick with what you know works.
    Copy that.

2: Considering the bold font quoted above - even if you end up with slightly more light marring than you would get when using a standard clay lubricant, at least your surface will be as pure of a starting point as it can be, and you're doing a correction anyway.
    Copy that.

3: Just like paint correction, a test spot would probably be a good idea the first time anyone tries this method. I would imagine you'd quickly find out if it was going to be more of a problem than a convenience.

Been using SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash/Waterless Wash/Rinseless Wash for a couple of years now. Myself and in my classes and together we've collectively cleaned and detailed a LOT of cars. Can't think of a single car that's ever come out bad. Just the opposite in fact.

Great questions - thank you for asking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12