autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: RUPES D-A Fine Polishing Compound with ULTRAFINE Foam Pad

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Mike this should be of use for your post regarding cleaning of their pads in a washer and dryer. 3:52 into the video.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know I wasn't recommending anything that goes against the official company message.

I've been washing ALL our pads via the washing machine and dryer since coming to AG in 2009 and we machine washed and dried all our pads at Meguiar's the entire time I was there. The only exception is traditional wool pads for rotary buffers as I documented at this year's boat detailing class.

After washing wool pads - next I simply lay them out to AIR DRY. Any other pad goes in the dryer.

Pictures: 2020 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

Washing the gel-coat out 24 RUPES Wool Cutting Pads.

I then blew them off using the Tornador Air Blowout Gon and laid them out to air dry.

Back to cleaning up the Training Academy.

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: RUPES D-A Fine Polishing Compound with ULTRAFINE Foam Pad

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post

This is the only way I have time to wash pads and I’ve never had a problem, I wish I would’ve started doing this a longgggg time ago.

The key is 2 things,

1: Don't overload the washer and if you have the option for a second rinse cycle - use it.

2: Once in a while you may lose a pad. By this I mean the velcro backing will come off. Either glue it back on with some GOOP Glue or write it off and take comfort in all the TIME you've saved cleaning pads any other way.

One more thing I do but this works for me due to the VOLUME of pads we go through during our classes or even car detailing projects and that is to,

Wash like pads with like pads

By this I mean, wash compound pads together. Wash polish pads together.

And DEFINITELY ONLY WASH pads used with AIOs or cleaner/waxes together.

Why?

Because by their very nature, waxes and sealants are NOT water soluble. They are MUCH harder to get clean no matter how you wash them. Compounds and Polishes on the other had ARE water soluble, they will clean easy.

If you wash your wax pads with your compound and polish pads you'll get the wax/sealant into ALL your pads.

So separate by product and then wash. And for your AIO pads - wash twice. Makes a huge difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12