autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02

Ever evolving technology

It's great to be a detailer in the year 2020 and beyond! There are so many new technologies being introduced as light-speed that the only way to even think you can stay caught up is to be ONLINE.

From the manufacturer,

NSP Z1 is a one-step primer and nanocoating designed for new or lightly contaminated vehicles that do not need a high degree of paintwork correction. It contains a unique nanostructure resin formulated with TiO2, SiO2 and composite engineered abrasives. It protects for a year or more and can be layered with waxes, sealants, and other coatings of comparable durability.

Wow! That's a LOT to pack into a single product. But I've used it and love it.

Let's start at the beginning.... a few weeks ago, after sharing my review for the new Dr. Beasley's Nano Surface Primers, I get another Rx Package in the mail from my good friend and the man behind Dr. Beasley's, Jim Lafeber.

Here's the package....

And here's the gifts inside...

Yeah buddy.... me likes one-step products...

It's a known fact I'm an equal opportunity exploiter but I appreciate my friends that take care of me... thanks Jim and everyone at Dr. Beasley's.

Demo Car

Anytime I get new product to test it starts with the products-in-hand and then the perfect test vehicle. I just happen to have this old 2-door Chevy here for a LIVE class on how to clean and protect Alcantara AND the paint on this car needs some paint correction work. It's not horrible but it's not perfect either and this isn't just any old Corvette - this is a Carbon 65 Corvette. To celebrate 65 years of Corvette history and legacy, GM built only 650 Carbon 65 units and these cars are saweeeeet!

Only one color - Ceramic Matrix Grey

While I love the color, it is hard to capture the fine swirls and scratches as well as water marks in light colors.

Here's the best I could do to document the condition of the exterior when the car arrived.

Swirls in the Carbon Fiber Roof Panel - wait for it....

Ouch!!!! That hurts my eyes and my feelings...

There there, come to daddy, it will be alright... I'm going to make you feel all better....

Water marks everywhere on the paint

Most washed off but there's always the tale-tale sign of imprint rings from where water continually lands and then dries over time.

It was easier to show the water marks using the headlights but the paint looked the same way...

Products and Process

Sorry no pictures of me doing the work part but I can guarantee you - the car didn't buff itself out. I used SONAX Glass Cleaner to do a waterless wash and then clayed using an ultra fine grade clay also with the SONAX Glass Cleaner.

Product - Z1 of course. look at the paint glisten in the background...

Tools - I used the FLEX Supa BEAST and the FLEX PiXiE. I used the FLEX Supa BEAST for the larger flat panels and the FLEX PXE 80 for the thin panels and the rear spoiler.

The Supa BEAST is the updated version of the BEAST by FLEX

For most tool I'm always on the high speed setting. When it comes to getting a car detailed fast there's something to be said for SPEED.

Pads
    Because the damage was light I didn't need a lot of pads like I tend to show with all the cars I detail because they ARE so bad. I used 3 Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid White Foam Polishing Pads for the body panels and a couple of FLEX 3.5" foam pads for the thin panels and intricate areas.

On the first and center pad you can see some DIRT FILM build on the pads - this is called Road Film or Traffic Film - here's my article from 2013. The green pad is a foam polishing pad and the orange pad is a light cutting pad.

Towels - Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth

What's touching your car's paint?

These Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths are edgeless and similar to the Forrest Green towels you see me use all the time. These have a FLAT WEAVE so they are less likely to become contaminated over time and this means less risk of scratching your paint. Real simple stuff. Real basic stuff but real important stuff and I would say from experience most people don't think about this stuff unless they are a reader of my work.

Results? Note how the tube of Z1 is out of focus but the car is in foc...

The Beauty Shots

The Z1 leaves a really nice high gloss finish with excellent clarity.

Glossy or GLASSY like you expect from a coating...

Review

This is a really nice product and I'm going to switch over to the Z1 to take care of my own daily driver. One of the features for this product is it's NOT super aggressive - thus it's perfect for doing regular maintenance for daily drivers without the risk of removing too much of the already precious and thin factory clearcoat while getting the protection and longevity of the unique nanostructure resin/coating formulated using TiO2, (Titanium Dioxide), and SiO2 (Silicone Dioxide). That just plain sounds POWERFUL!

Product characteristics

The unique Tube
    The tube delivery system is unique to Dr. Beasley's new Nano Surface Primer family of products. You should shake the product well before use and during use and also store it upright standing on it's lid. When using the product this ensures the liquid is at the cap and ready to dispense onto the face of your buffing pad. Simple but genius at the same time.

Me? I'd probably like the QUART size tube. Hint hint...

Product consistency

This is also something unique about the product, unlike most compounds, polishes and all-in-ones, the family of NSP primers, including Z1 have a somewhat textured consistency that you can see in this close-up shot.

Dusting There is no dusting. Period. A+

Buffing Cycle
    Infinity buffing cycle. As long as you work the product it seems to stay wet on the surface enabling you to either short cycle or long cycle your section passes depending upon how long YOU want to buff. By this I also mean if you're going after deeper defects or working on harder paint you can buff longer with the same amount of product to get the job done. If you're just doing light correction than you can short cycle your section passes and move on. A+

Cutting ability
    While Dr. Beasley's website states,

for new or lightly contaminated vehicles that do not need a high degree of paintwork correction

I easily removed #5000 grit sanding marks using a foam polishing pad on a free spinning 15mm random orbital polisher. Not bad huh? I was impressed. I can make a video to show this if anyone is interested. Just put that in your comment. Of course, some of you will push anything and everything to the limit and then complain if it doesn't exceed your expectations so please - keep it real man. A+

Wipe-off
    Wipe off using a flat weave towel was easy. I know of other products that wipe off easier but I know of a LOT MORE products that wipe off a lot harder. I would give this product a B+

Slickness
    Most "coatings" leave paint feeling rubbery. Mike doesn't like the rubbery feel on his car's paint and I won't use products that leave the paint feeling rubbery. And... when I don't like how a product feels on the paint, I start typing in 3rd person. That said, the Z1 does leave a more wax like slick feel than a coating-like rubbery feel. I give it a B for slickness.

Gloss
    Did you see the pictures above? A+

Longevity
    Dr. Beasley's claims 1 year for protection. Me? I'm the guy that's always educating everyone that how long ANY product lasts 100% absolutely depends on how the surface is TOUCHED after the deal is done. In fact, I have an article on this topic here. Because the Corvette has left the building, I have know idea how it's going to be touched or washed and dried, (that's what I mean by touched in this context).

Water Beading
    Alas - the car is gone and I forgot to throw a cup of water on it before it left - so next time.

Summary

So far I'm really like the NSP technology in all of Dr. Beasley's NSP Primer products and this new Z1 is no exception. And to Jim and his team's credit - they are at this point in time - the leaders in this technology.

My advice? Get you some and make your car look gooder.

On Autogeek.com

Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 --> Coming soon!

All Dr. Beasley's product including the NSP Surface Primers

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, Loach liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

MORE GREAT NEWS!

For those of you that signed-up for the upcoming September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp class...

Jim Lafeber from Dr. Beasley's will be here for all 3 days!

And you're going to get to use his new NSP products! Pretty cool huh? You have questions? You can ask the man behind the Rx label!

September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class - the MOST hands-on car detailing classes on Planet Earth!

Here's the dates,

1. Friday, September 25th
    2. Saturday the 26th
    3. Sunday the 27th

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Mike...

I have a 2019 (I think) white Ford Mustang GT350 with blue stripes coming my way. Owner was thinking of doing a ceramic coating. However he left it up to me.

Car parked in garage and used occasionally on nice days. I feel maybe ceramic may bit over kill.

Should I do this? Beasly Z1 with CBeast and rupes white pads?

The blue stripes are vinyl...Should I tape these off or can I apply the Z1 on these stripes?

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

So this is basically a light ceramic coating AIO type product.

Post Thanks / Like

Dublows6...

I like the sound of that...."light ceramic coating AIO type"...

If that's what it is---Light correction plus coating all in one step! I'm In!!!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    So this is basically a light ceramic coating AIO type product.
    Yes.

Did you see where I said I was going to switch over to this for one of my own cars?

Post Thanks / Like

I did...!

And from the sound of it---I want it too!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff looks amazing with some durability to boot!!

Removing 5000 grit is pretty good in my books and I’m sure you can up the aggression with a different pad. Although bumping up from a white LC Hybrid may leave some pad marring from my experience. So test spots will determine...

Mike, Thanks for the detailed review and copious photos! Great work on both the vehicle and write up as always. Thank you.

Honestly, I’m not sure about those tubes the product is in. I don’t think I will like them. To be fair, I haven’t tried them yet and maybe I will love it.

Looking forward to picking this up and trying it!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a maintenance product for this...or one you suggest?

Post Thanks / Like

So...you can buy this on Dr Beasleys website.....when will it be available here?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast