autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Overview: RUPES NEW D-A Series Compounds and Foam Pads

Overview: RUPES NEW D-A Series Compounds and Foam Pads

Recently RUPES sent me the new D-A compounds and pads to test out.

This will be an overview of the products and pads.

My first observation is the nice flashy metallic color matching packaging.

Here's the new pads out of the packaging. RUPES has streamlined their new system to simplify it across all their orbital tool. These new pads and products are designed and formulated to work with all RUPES orbital polishers.

From the manufacturer

BLUE
    The DA COARSE foam pad is specially designed to be used with both random orbital and gear-driven tools. The unique open-cell all new foam material removes mild to severe defects from most paint systems. When paired with RUPES DA-COARSE compound provides improved cutting and finishing ability. This new pad combines the best aspects of the previous blue and green foams, with an increased durability and a more vibrant blue color.

My comments...
    This is a new foam formula that retains it's aggressive cutting action while finishing out nicer with better durability.

YELLOW
    The DA FINE foam pad is the most versatile foam pad in the RUPES BigFoot range, delivering an effective rate of defect removal and capability for high-gloss finishing on most paint systems. Pair with RUPES DA-FINE polishing compound for moderate to fine defect removal, paint refinement, or final finishing after heavy compounding steps. This new pad provides the same great performing foam material as the current random orbital yellow foam, expanded to also work with gear-driven orbitals, just with a more vibrant shade of yellow.

My comments
    The foam formula for the new yellow pad is the same consistent performance with just a tweak in the color and of course the new design.

WHITE
    The DA ULTRAFINE foam pad is our finest grade of foam, designed for ultra-high gloss finishing and polishing haze-prone or very soft paint surfaces. The new unique material composition of the DA ULTRA-FINE pad shows a brighter white color with less propensity for yellowing over time and can also be used for the application of sealants or waxes when no correction is required. Pair it with UNO PURE ultra-fine universal polish to remove extremely fine defects or to bring out a show car level finish on even the most difficult-to-finish and delicate vehicle paints.

My comments
    The new foam formula for the ULTRAFINE white foam finishing pads offers a brighter white that's less prone to yellowing. One of the reason many foams are pigmented is because in the past, white colored foam would quickly turn a dingy yellow or brown color. The pigment used was simply unstable and especially when exposed to UV light. RUPES has somehow found a way to overcome this color flaw so their new foam formula for their white foam pads is dramatically more stable. Besides the color difference, the actual feel of the pad is much softer to the touch and with extended durability.

Pad Specs and pictures

The new RUPES DA Foam Pads come in 3 different sizes (currently), and three different levels of aggressiveness or non-aggressiveness.

Metric and U.S. Standard Pad Diameters

Back in the 1975, President Gerald Ford and his Administration tried to get the U.S. to switch to the metric system but alas the effort failed. So while most of the world uses the metric system for measurement back here in the good old USA we're still using inches.

180mm diameter = 7" or for the OCD 7.09" in U.S. Standard

150mm diameter = 6" or for the OCD 5.9" in U.S. Standard

100mm diameter = 4" or the the OCD 3.94" in U.S. Standard

Pad height or thickness

The new RUPES DA Foam Pads are 25mm in thickness, which is .98" or just call it 1 inch thick.

The first generation RUPES foam pads are 28.5mm thick or about 1 1/8" in U.S. Standard

The new RUPES DA FOAM pads are approximately 3.5mm thinner.

On Autogeek.com

Coming soon!

2. Thanks Diner, Loach thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Overview: RUPES NEW D-A Series Compounds and Foam Pads

More....

Here's my review for the new design for the the new D-A Foam Pads. I've only used the yellow "polishing" pads as of the time of this overview and I really like them.

Review: RUPES NEW Contour Profile DA Foam Pads

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, Loach liked this post
    Mike Phillips

The new RUPES pads, compounds and products are now in stock at Autogeek.

AND it's ON SALE!

The NEW RUPES PADS and PRODUCTS

Good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

I woke up at 1am and finally used my autogeek gift certificate that I’ve been saving for the new pads and polishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post

I woke up at 1am and finally used my autogeek gift certificate that I’ve been saving for the new pads and polishes!

And..... have you had a chance to try any of the new RUPES products or pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, the day before I left to Korea I tried all the pads with each corresponding polish, the pads are smooth and I ran all the polishes long and the wipe off was beautiful. I’m really eager to get back and try them out on all different types of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I was really impressed by the final pop of the ultra fine polish, good stuff!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

have you had a chance to try any of the new RUPES products or pads?

Oh yeah, the day before I left to Korea I tried all the pads with each corresponding polish, the pads are smooth and I ran all the polishes long and the wipe off was beautiful.

I’m really eager to get back and try them out on all different types of paint.

Also I was really impressed by the final pop of the ultra fine polish, good stuff!

Good feedback, than you for sharing.

Which tool are you using the new pads and polishes with?

Post Thanks / Like

I only had a chance to try them out with the mark 3 15mm but I’ll be using the 21 mark 3 and the lhr 75e when I get home.

Overview: RUPES NEW D-A  Series Compounds and Foam Pads-adjustments-jpg

Overview: RUPES NEW D-A  Series Compounds and Foam Pads-adjustments-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a yellow Rupes D-A foam pad and a yellow Buff & Shine Uro-Tec both using BlackFire One Step to get a feel for the Rupes vs the pad I've been using.

I used the Rupes pad on half a hood... switched to the Uro-Tec pad and polished the other side. Switched back to Rupes did half the roof, switched again. I did a "4 count" not the usual "8 count" Mike shows. Machine used was "The Finisher" cordless, letting the machine do all the work..... (very bad shoulder right now)

First impressions: Rupes D-A.... "marshmallow" came to mind immediately..... Very smooth and stable on The Finisher.
    Buff & Shine.... firmer feel especially when coming to the raised edges on the Lexus IS with it's angular body.

Interesting observations: The Uro-Tec on the left came out dirtier then the D-A. Maybe a touch more aggressive cut?? Both are sold as 6" but fit a 5" backing plate. The face of the Rupes flares out larger.

Honorable mention: My new Rupes Bigfoot Claw Tool for pad removal: This is "sweet" for separating the pad from the backing plate without pulling the he** out of the pads.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Overview: RUPES NEW D-A  Series Compounds and Foam Pads-foam-jpg

13. Likes Dereksdtail, mwoywod liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast