autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review & How-To: GYEON Q2 RIM Ceramic Coating C8 Rear-Engine Corvette Stingray

Review & How-To: GYEON Q2 RIM Ceramic Coating C8 Rear-Engine Corvette Stingray

GYEON Q2 RIM Ceramic Coating

What is it?

The only quartz-based protection product dedicated specifically for use on automobile rims

What does it do?

Heat resistant coating that protects rims from exposure to brake dust and environmental contaminants, while maintaining a like-new appearance and lasts for up to 6 months.

When do I use it?

After first washing and drying the rim and doing any prep work to the rim finish.

Why should I use it?

To make cleaning your car's wheels faster and easier as well as preserving their factory new appearance.

From the manufacturer

Advanced quartz technology combined with user friendly characteristics

There are various wheel rim types available on the market, e.g. wet painted, powder coated, anodized or polished. Q² Rim is an appropriate product to protect each and every one of them. Even the owners of models with polished rim lips have observed that the need to refresh the so-called mirror effect is significantly less frequent.

Q² Rim requires just 1 thick layer, although if you wish to extend its durability, the product might be layered. Keep a minimum of 4 hours period between layers. The coating might be applied on all finishes of rims, both glossy and matte. TIP: Apply Q² Rim in sections. It is fast drying and curing formula, so large, complexly shaped rims should be divided in numerous, smaller sections.

TEMPERATURE RESISTANT
    Wheels, just after the engine bay and exhausts, are the components most exposed to high temperatures. Q² Rim has an endurance capability exceeding 800ºC without any damage to its original properties. The fact that this quartz coating is dedicated exclusively to rims is an asset and introduces a new level of quality within the field of rim protection.

HIGH SELF CLEANING ABILITIES
    Similar to other genuine SiO₂-based coatings, Q² Rim offers superb self-cleaning abilities. It results in limiting the time needed to keep wheels, especially those with complicated patterns, impeccably clean. It protects against too much dust from brake pads being deposited on wheel rims and facilitates regular washing of rims with clean water under pressure. Using, additionally, a pH-neutral rim cleaning product will make the whole maintenance process easier. Q² Rim, unlike other conventional rim protection solutions, is also resistant to more aggressive cleaners.

My comments....

First - GYEON has a stellar reputation for making pro quality products for anyone to use.

Second - When I'm talking one-on-one with people about wheel coatings for their car - the first thing I do is LOWER their expectations. By this I mean, I educate them that even with a coating on their car's rims - the rims are still going to get dirty with brake-dust and road film. The truth about rim coatings is NOT that they somehow create an invisible force field on the rim that prevents the rim from getting dirty - the rim is still going to get dirty. The primary benefit is with the coating installed - the rim will be MUCH FASTER and EASIER to clean when you wash your car. There is also an excellent self-cleaning effect anytime you drive your car in the rain although because the wheels and tires are so close to the pavement - they will tend to get dirtier faster even with this self-cleaning effect than ceramic coated paint on your cars.

In my opinion and experience - there's a greater upside to the time, effort and cost to coat your rims in the way of faster washing than any downside.

Technique Tip
    The hardest thing about installing a coating on your car's rims is the actual rubbing of the coating onto the rim. I'll share my technique that makes it easy.

Coating the rims on an brand new C8 Corvette Stingray

GYEON Q2 Rim

Before you can install the coating your car car's rims, you first have to wash and dry the rims and while you're at it - might as well wash and dry the car too.

Step 1: Use GYEON Prep to wipe the rims

This is a key step as you want to make sure any left over wheel and tire cleaner and even car wash soap is removed and off the rim so the coating can make a proper bond.

I recommend laying down a heavy or wet application of the GYEON Prep.

Step 2: Remove the GYEON Prep

Using either a wheel and tire microfiber towel, (usually color-coded black towels), or a clean cotton terrycloth towel - carefully and thoroughly wipe the GYEON Prep off the rim. The GYEON Prep is a panel wipe. It will dissolve and remove any substance off the rim so the coating can make a proper bond.

Thoroughly wipe the sides of the spokes and all the unique and intricate design components of the wheel.

Be sure to wipe any area you intend to apply coating - for example the lug nut barrels.

Even after washing the rims thoroughly I'm still finding black brake dust and road film in the hard to clean areas.

Step 3: Install the coating onto the rim

Technique Tip
    Most coatings including GYEON Rim come with the normal foam block and suede microfiber applicator patches of cloth. The idea being to wrap the microfiber suede patch of cloth around the block of foam and use this to apply the coating to the rim. The problem with this is trying to rub a hard rectangular shaped foam block around the intricate design of any wheel is simply cumbersome at best and awkward in practice.

Simple Foam Wax Applicator Pad

Instead of using the foam block approach, what I do is use a simple CLEAN foam wax applicator pad like you see in the picture below. I draw a semi-circle onto one end on one side of the pad. This is where I'm going to place my fingers when I grip the pad.

Then turn the applicator pad to the other side....

And apply a few drops of coating on the opposite side of the semi-circle I drew on the other side.

Here you can see the top line of the semi-circle I drew on the pad just above my fingers....

This small, flexible foam applicator pads is a LOT easier to form around the spokes of the rim as well as wipe-into the corners, cracks and crevices of the wheel design.

It would be very difficult to press the rigid foam block into this curved area around the lip of the rim but it's super easy to do with the simple foam wax applicator pad

And I can easily press a section of the foam applicator pad into the lug nut barrel.

Step 4: After coating the entire rim - remove any excess using a clean microfiber towel

Here's the final results....

The coating adds a layer of quartz protection PLUS some gloss and shine to these painted rims

The finishing touch to an exotic looking Vette....

Review

Cars like this Corvette with their high performance brake rotors and discs create a LOT of brake dust. Actually, most cars create a ton of brake dust as you drive and stop your car and a lot of it ends up coating over as a film on your car's rims. While the GYEON Q2 Rim WILL help your wheels to stay cleaner longer than a set of rims with zero coating - what's more important is how much faster and easier future wheel cleaning will be. In fact - instead of using a strong wheel clean you can simply use a normal car wash soap. You can even mix some car wash soap with some water into a spray bottle and spray the wheels with this mixture instead of a normal wheel cleaner and then after lightly agitating with a quality wheel brush blast the rims with water and watch how effortlessly the wheels clean-up and look new again.

The hardest thing about installing a coating to your car's rims is the actual application process. Using the technique I use and shared above takes all the pain out of the process. The simple foam wax applicator pad flexes easily to enable you to get the wheels coated in the fastest and easiest possible fashion.

The reason I draw a semi-circle on one side of the foam wax applicator pad is to not only enable me to know where to place drops of coating on the opposite side of the applicator pad - BUT if I drop the applicator pad - and this happens when working on rims - as long as the side with the semi-circle drawn on it lands against the ground - I feel confident I can pick the applicator pad up and continue to use the coating side. If the floor or ground is clean, I can dust off the working side and also continue to use it.

If you like your car clean including the rims then investing the time and effort to install a wheel coating like the Q2 Rim is totally worth it and you'll see what I mean the first time you wash your car.

On Autogeek.com

GYEON Q2 Rim - 30 ml

Here's a 6-pack of the foam wax applicators - might as well have a few back-ups in your inventory.

6 Pack Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-To: GYEON Q2 RIM Ceramic Coating C8 Rear-Engine Corvette Stingray

More....

Here's a very in-depth video Jeff McEachran from GYEON and myself made to share the GYEON Q2 Rim

4. Likes DMiglio, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: GYEON Q2 RIM Ceramic Coating C8 Rear-Engine Corvette Stingray

After rims have been coated, honestly, it's easy enough to keep clean that you just use a rinseless wash and it wipes right off. If rims were uncoated, out comes the iron X and everything else with it. The difference is much better than most people think.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

6. Likes DMiglio liked this post