autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I rarely use the rigid foam blocks with the microfiber suede patches any longer.
    Grumble grumble…bought a 30 pack of MF suede based on this article. Thanks for the info though. Always appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gr8almty1 View Post

Grumble grumble…bought a 30 pack of MF suede based on this article.

Thanks for the info though. Always appreciated.

First - Send me your shipping address and I'll send you some of the Speed Master Foam Block Coating Applicators for free. I'm assuming and hoping you live in the lower 48 states otherwise shipping becomes a hassle - at least for me.

Second - When I wrote this review, the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating "Black Edition" was paired with the MicroSuede Cloth and the BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator like I shared in this picture.

Fold a MicroSuede Cloth around a BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator.

Not only does Autogeek want me to show these items with the coating "because" that's how they are sold on the AG site - BUT the black and red foam block coating saver applicator I now like, use and recommend was not yet available.

At least not to me via Autogeek inventory.

So no harm intended, I shared what I was responsible for sharing and also what was available.

Make sense?

So e-mail me your shipping address, I hope you live in one of the lower 48 states and I'll get them shipped out today.

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add my experience with the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition.

I have coated two vehicles with it. The first was a 2011 Silver Grey BMW M3. The second was a 2019 Ram 2500 Mega cab, which had metallic black paint.

The M3 was coated in mid spring with ambient air temperatures in the upper 60's and low humidity. The Ram was coated earlier this week with ambient air temps in the upper 70's and very high humidity. Not only was the application more time consuming and "difficult" due to the black paint and the size of the vehicle, I am convinced that the higher air temp and significantly higher humidity effected the "flash" or set up time of the coating.

With the M3, I was able to do at least 1 full panel at a time and wait for the "sweating", which was very visible. While with the Ram, I was forced to reduce my application to 1/3 panels due to the coating flashing within 90-120 seconds. Because of such a BIG swing in application conditions, I ended up with several "high spots" on the first two panels of the Ram. I was able to remove them with Blackfire One Step, as Mike had mentioned in one of his previous articles.

Reason for the post was just to make everyone aware that the environmental conditions will (in my experience) effect how the application of the coating goes. This seems to be especially true with the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition.

For reference, both vehicles were coated in a semi-climate controlled garage but, the exhaust fan and single window unit AC hadn't been able to keep up with the high temps and high levels of humidity outside.

For now, I don't have any overall pictures of the Ram but, here is a door panel after coating. The spots are metallic flake.
    Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition-2019-ram-post-1-step-bf-black-ceramic-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    First - Send me your shipping address and I'll send you some of the Speed Master Foam Block Coating Applicators for free. I'm assuming and hoping you live in the lower 48 states otherwise shipping becomes a hassle - at least for me.

Second - When I wrote this review, the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating "Black Edition" was paired with the MicroSuede Cloth and the BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator like I shared in this picture.

Fold a MicroSuede Cloth around a BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator.

Not only does Autogeek want me to show these items with the coating "because" that's how they are sold on the AG site - BUT the black and red foam block coating saver applicator I now like, use and recommend was not yet available.

At least not to me via Autogeek inventory.

So no harm intended, I shared what I was responsible for sharing and also what was available.

Make sense?

So e-mail me your shipping address, I hope you live in one of the lower 48 states and I'll get them shipped out today.

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Mike,

When I ordered the Blackfire lit, I didn't receive the suede applicators, but rather a blue microfiber block. Just wondering if the foam applicator you referred to is how I should install for best results since this will be my first time with this coating. Any chance of getting one to try?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wheeler View Post
    Mike,

When I ordered the Blackfire lit, I didn't receive the suede applicators, but rather a blue microfiber block. Just wondering if the foam applicator you referred to is how I should install for best results since this will be my first time with this coating. Any chance of getting one to try?
    Hey Scott,

That coating actually works better when applied with the microfiber applicator blocks as it helps spread that coating out thicker. The block and suedes still work but they spread the coating out much thinner which doesn't allow for as much of the flash time (sweating effect). When applied with the microfiber applicators, it actually spreads out thicker and you get a longer flash time where you can start seeing it do the "sweating" effect.

When it comes to the actual wipe off period (flash time - which varies for everyone depending on the environment they are in), you can actually do a test spot to determine how much time you really have. I recommend applying a 2ftx2ft or 3ftx3ft square initially and waiting 1 minute. After 1 minute, wipe off one of the corners of the square. If it's easy to wipe off, then you know it's good for at least 1 minute. Then give it another minute, and wipe off another corner. If that corner wipes off easy, then you know 2 minutes is still good. Then wipe off another corner after another minute (3 minutes now). Same thing, if the 3rd corner wipes off easy, you know you have at least 3 minutes of flash time. The sweating doesn't kick in until about that 2-3 minute or more mark typically. Once the coating starts to become "tacky" to wipe off, you know you've hit your limit so dial back the flash time a little bit! Hope this helps
    Autogeek R&D
    andre@autogeek.net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I've applied Blackfire Pro Black Edition on my red Tesla. It was so easy and it came out great! When I washed my car the other day, I noticed 2 tree sap droppings and when I tried to scrub them away, it seems like it has eaten into the coating and now left a mark. What is your suggestion to fix this? Is there a product that I can use to remove it or do I have to polish off the entire coating and recoat it again? The unfortunate thing is one dropping is right smack in the middle of the hood and the other is on the left side fender. Thanks in advance.

Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition-img_0365-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjdude View Post
    Mike,

I've applied Blackfire Pro Black Edition on my red Tesla. It was so easy and it came out great! When I washed my car the other day, I noticed 2 tree sap droppings and when I tried to scrub them away, it seems like it has eaten into the coating and now left a mark. What is your suggestion to fix this? Is there a product that I can use to remove it or do I have to polish off the entire coating and recoat it again? The unfortunate thing is one dropping is right smack in the middle of the hood and the other is on the left side fender. Thanks in advance.

Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition-img_0365-jpg
    Mike is no longer with Autogeek. The act of "scrubbing" causes scratching. A product like CarPro TarX would have been a good option to remove the sap chemically. You could still try that and see if it helps. Stoners makes a tar & sap remover that can sometimes be found locally.

If it is still there then you will find yourself polishing the entire panel and reapplying the coating.

8. Likes bill walsh liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234