autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Great results Mike. The sweating effect is a nice touch.
    Yeah, sorry to say I don't know much about the "why" it does this as I don't have a relationship with the chemist for this product.

Question for you, will both coatings stay in the blackfire line up?
    Yes, as far as I know but you would probably be better off to call Customer Care directly and check with them as they tend to be more in the loop for this type of thing.

1-800-868-3011

This may be a question for the chemist. Other than the claimed longevity and sweating effect, what differentiates this blackfire black edition coating compared to the blackfire pro ceramic coating?

Good questions and our marketing department may have more answers than I include below, but from the info that has been provided to me,

1: Up to 5 years protection/longevity
    2: Harder finish - the stated hardness is 9h
    3: Increased hydrophobic properties i.e. higher surface tension thus better water beading
    4: Water sheeting
    5: Better chemical and corrosion resistance
    6: Better self-cleaning effect due to higher surface tension, faster washing and drying also

That's off the top of my head and after re-reading the store page here,

BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition

And the info I included in my review.

Great questions, thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

I was able to get some answers on the BF IG page.

3. Thanks acuRAS82, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the nature of the coating, are multiple coats recommended? If two coats are recommended how much time should we wait between coats?
    Wayne
    My name is Wayne and I'm a Detailing Addict....

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

blackfire

6. Likes nstessman9985 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just thought I would share that since detailing this old 2-door Chevy, my brother-in-law has changed it up a little,

Looks good to me.

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Excellent review as always. Been following your form posts for a couple years as I started down the paint correction and coating rabbit hole.

Based on your review I decided to try out the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition. Had to wait about a month over the holidays as it was on backorder everywhere -- even on the manufacturers website.

Anyway, just finished up a light paint correction and 2 coats of BLACKFIRE and I can say it went exactly as you described. The amount of workable time was amazing easily in the minutes. I even caught a few areas with a correction light that had some haze like 15 minutes later that buffed right out.

The car was a 2 month old Racing Yellow Porsche 718 Spyder with 2100 miles.

Unsure how much weather affects the product, but I was in a heated garage heated to around 70. Humidity wise was a little higher given the recent rain so probably around 80%.

Here is a e-mail I received from BLACKFIRE on wait time between coats and SiO2 toppers:

Hello,
    If you want to apply multiple layers of coating, wait an hour between each layer. adding a second layer will have noticeable positive improvement to the gloss and protection of your coating. 3 layers will provide a small amount of additional protection, but not a significant amount. Adding a 4th layer would not provide any additional protection or gloss and is not advised. We recommend waiting a minimum of 24-48 before applying an Sio2 spray sealant as a topper.

Thank you,
    Michael

I did notice additional depth and gloss with the second coat.

Thanks again.

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TXshaggy View Post
    Mike,

Excellent review as always. Been following your form posts for a couple years as I started down the paint correction and coating rabbit hole.

Based on your review I decided to try out the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition. Had to wait about a month over the holidays as it was on backorder everywhere -- even on the manufacturers website.

Anyway, just finished up a light paint correction and 2 coats of BLACKFIRE and I can say it went exactly as you described. The amount of workable time was amazing easily in the minutes. I even caught a few areas with a correction light that had some haze like 15 minutes later that buffed right out.

The car was a 2 month old Racing Yellow Porsche 718 Spyder with 2100 miles.

Unsure how much weather affects the product, but I was in a heated garage heated to around 70. Humidity wise was a little higher given the recent rain so probably around 80%.

Here is a e-mail I received from BLACKFIRE on wait time between coats and SiO2 toppers:

Hello,
    If you want to apply multiple layers of coating, wait an hour between each layer. adding a second layer will have noticeable positive improvement to the gloss and protection of your coating. 3 layers will provide a small amount of additional protection, but not a significant amount. Adding a 4th layer would not provide any additional protection or gloss and is not advised. We recommend waiting a minimum of 24-48 before applying an Sio2 spray sealant as a topper.

Thank you,
    Michael

I did notice additional depth and gloss with the second coat.

Thanks again.

Hi Michael,

First - Because this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

There's no way I could ever create the kind of in-depth content like you see in this review or any of my articles on Facebook and Instagram. I love the spontaneity of these other two platforms but as far as sharing any substantial information they are useless. So thank you for joining the forum to interact.

Second - Thank you for your well-written summary of your experience with the new BLACKFIRE BLACK EDITION. It's a very stout coating. For anyone that want's absolute bullet-proof protection - it's good.

You also need to make 100% sure you wipe off any high spots or excess product. Once this coating dries it's solid. It will never "wipe" off. You can compound it off but you'll never wipe it off.

A few weeks ago I used the BF BE on a brand new black C8 Corvette. I let my brother-in-law help me. I applied the coating, he waited about 45 seconds to a minute and then wiped each panel to remove any excess. After we were done I went around the entire car to inspect our work. I found 3 places with high spots. For each area with a high spot I had to polish the coating off, re-strip the paint and then re-apply the coating.

It was a great learning experience for PJ, my brother-in-law as he found out how IMPORTANT it is to make 100% for sure you remove all the coating. He also learned how important it is to have a GREAT hand-held light for inspecting for high spots.

But best of all - he loves how all he has to do to get his Corvette clean is blast it with water and then dry it with a leaf blower.

Here's my write-up for this C8 Corvette

2020 C8 Corvette Detail by Mike Phillips

The paint is soft enough on the new C8 Corvettes I was able to correct it with a fine cut polish, a soft foam polishing pad and a cordless buffer.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the grey Microsuede cloths for $9.99 and the Gyeon applicator before I read this article. I hope this combo works good for applying this product. If not I have two microfiber applicator blocks on standby.

Great review and how to!

The website says you can do 2 coats for added gloss and protection.

Here's what it says- -If you want to apply multiple layers of coating, wait an hour between each layer. adding a second layer will have noticeable positive improvement to the gloss and protection of your coating.

I'm thinking if I have enough towels I'll try two coats on an upcoming project.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

It's been 8 months since I coated this old 2-door Chevy,

PJ is NOT a detailer. He appreciates a great looking car but he's not the kind of guy you would ever find hanging out on a forum like this to figure out how to best take care of his cars.

I've made sure he has a quality wash mitt, some good car wash soap, etc. And to this day, the finish on his black Corvette is still swirl-free.

The BLACKFIRE Black Edition is the real-deal when it comes to a professional grade ceramic coating.

Treat it with respect or you will pay the price. The info about this coating says you can wait up to 5 minutes before wiping the panel just treated. Go for it if you feel your skill level is high. Me? I wait about 45 seconds and then start wiping the panel just treated.

THEN - I inspect with a hand-held light to ensure I've removed 100% of the coating.

If you do NOT remove all of the excess coating - the high spots will require a compound to remove.

Also - if you have NOT read my below article - then read it. And if you don't have a GREAT hand-held inspection light then get one.

I'm serious. Been there, done that. Don't ever want to do it again. (have to compound high spots the day after)

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

Just trying to help folks...

15. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I just got my bottle of BLACKFIRE Black Edition yesterday. I'm exited to try this stuff out.

Autogeek was kind enough to send me a couple of samples and a 30 percent discount card with my order. That was a really nice surprise!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast