autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detailer and Booster

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detailer and Booster

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detailer and Booster

What is it?

The spray detailer is an Si02 enhanced spray detailer and the booster is a Si02 spray-on maintenance product.

What does it do?

The detailer is used to remove light dust, fingerprints and smudges. The booster is used to BOOST or replenish the Si02 on the surface to extend protection, gloss and shine.

When do I use it?

You use the spray detailer to clean your car in-between a normal wash as long as the car is not to dirty. After the car is clean, either by washing and drying the car or by using the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Spray Detailer to wipe the car clean.

Why should I use it?

To protect your car's paint from anything that would attack it while give it a show car looking finish that washes and dries faster plus has a self-cleaning effect when it rains.

Must have the right TEST CAR

So these two product are formulated and intended to be used on a car that already has a ceramic coating. They can be used with ANY brand of ceramic coating. For this review, because Andre's car is dirty and outside in the parking lot, I'm going to use his car to test out these two new products. To jog your memory, here's the write-up I recently did when I coated Andre's Audi back in May of 2020.

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Step 5: Apply some of the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Paint Coating to a microfiber foam block applicator pad.

Then apply to a section of paint no larger than 2' by 2' using a crosshatch pattern.

Step 6: Using a clean microfiber towel, give the section a final buff

Final results

Dirty car with ROAD FILM

The above car was coated on Wednesday, May 13th. Fast forward to today as I type, Wednesday July 15th, and having used the product yesterday, Tuesday, July 14th - it's been right at 2 months since I coated this car. It's a DAILY DRIVER parked outside 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. And as I'll document below, when we pulled Andre's car into the garage, it's dirty. It's not super dirty but it has definitely been driven in the rain and has road film on it. If you do not know what road film is, read my article here,

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Generally speaking, this car is too dirty to clean with a "spray detailer". That said, my normal practice is to use what I have and in this example I needed to use something available to me that's also BEEN COATED. So I really put this spray detailer to the test.

Dirty Audi

Below I will photo-document the dirt level on this car.

This is picture shows a pretty healthy layer of dirt on the paint.

Here you can see the STREAMS of road film on the paint just above the windshield.

This is probably from high speed driving in the rain and again - this simply documents that this car is in fact dirty.

Dirt and road film on the windshield

Action time!

Here's the two new products I need to test out. The Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray and the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster.

Spray Detailers

Spray detailers are for removing light dust, fingerprints and smudges. When using to clean anything dirtier than this you simply use more product to provide more lubrication and more cleaning ability.

Start at the top and work you're way down

So Yancy is playing photographer as I start with the roof. Pictures only show me cleaning the roof but I did clean the entire car. I like Andre too much to do hack-work or simply mock-up cleaning his cool Audi.

You need LOTS of clean, contaminate-free towels

I'm using multiple Cobra Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towel that are 16 x 16 inches. To do this type of work you need LOTS of clean and uncontaminated towels.

If you look carefully you can see the section I've wiped clean.

And here you can see the dirt level as it's showing up on the towel.

After this shot I finished wiping down the entire car. I'll share a picture of how many towels I used later in this thread.

Spray Boosters

Here's a little Car Wax History. Years ago, probably around 2002, there was a company trying to launch a newly formulated spray wax. There were a lot people that were confused over WHAT the product was. Remember, this was back when the Internet was still a "new thing" and while information was a lot more widespread with the advent of the Internet, there was still a lot of confusion over what this new spray wax was and when and how to use it. I contacted the marketing department and told them to change the label and add the word,

BOOSTER

The idea being that this spray wax was not a STAND ALONE product or dedicated product for sealing naked paint. It was a product that was to be used on a car that ALREADY had a normal coat of wax, that is an application of wax from a can of wax or a bottle of wax. When used this way, after washing and drying the car first, it would re-invigorate or BOOST the wax protection that was ALREADY PRESENT.

Make sense?

Yep. That was me. And ever since then, the word BOOSTER is commonly used in the car detailing industry to imply this same thing, a product that is used to replenish or reinvigorate or BOOST a similar product that has already been applied to the car.

That's what this product is, it's a spray-on ceramic booster for a dedicated ceramic coating that has previously been applied.

Mist and wipe

Now that the car is clean, application is the same as using any spray detailer or spray-on booster type product.

Step 1: Simply mist a light amount of product onto a section of a panel.

Step 2: Spread the product out using a clean microfiber towel.

Step 3: Turn the microfiber towels to a clean dry side and give that section a final buff so the paint looks clear and streak-free.

Then repeat this process to the rest of the car.

Here's the product sprayed onto the paint...

Next I spread with one side of a clean, folded microfiber towel.

After spreading the product over half the roof I then flip my towel to a dry side.

And re-wipe the area to remove any excess product until the paint is clear, streak-free and shiny.

And about an 40 minutes later - here's the results....

Review

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray

I'm going to be real honest here, this car was way too dirty to clean using any brand of spray detailer. The FILM on the car was an oily road film. For a car like this I would normally use one of these options to clean it because these three product options tend to have MORE CLEANING ability.

1. Normal car wash with a dedicated car wash or car shampoos - buckets, mitts and water hose
    2. Rinseless Wash
    3. Waterless Wash

As stated above, spray detailers are for LIGHT DIRT, not ROAD FILM. But I use what I have and in order to use this product correctly for this review I needed to use it on a car that already has a ceramic coating on it and preferably the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating. So for this reason I POWERED THROUGH wiping this car down with this new ceramic spray detailer and I'm happy to say - it worked GREAT!

For everyone reading this into the future - stick to using this product the way all spray detailers are formulated to be used and that's for removing,

1. Light dust
    2. Fingerprints
    3. Smudges

I used a boat load of towels, (see the picture below), but the spray detailer cut through the road film and left the paint looking like it had never been driven in the rain. It also left the paint feeling slick and slippery and that's a feature I really like in any spray detailer.

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster

Now this is a really nice product and the reason why is because it contains a high concentration of ceramic solids in it. In other words, it's not just water with a pretty scent.

For more information on what ceramic coating are check out this article,

What are Ceramic Paint Coatings?

Back to the topic of high solids or high concentration of nano sized particles of silicone dioxide, you can see this as a film after I spread the product out and then wiped the film off. I've taken two pictures from above and drawn yellow circles around the film I'm referring to.

The smears of product you see above are the film of ceramic particles. This means when you apply this you are truly laying down or depositing more coating onto the surface. What I found as I used this product was using a 2-towel system, one for applying and one for wiping off worked best. This is because once your towel becomes damp with the product it's really hard to wipe and get to a dry finish because the towel is damp with the product. Once I switch to the 2-towel technique, the dry towel easily removed any excess ceramic film and left a clear, high gloss finish.

Sometimes a little tweak of your technique can make all the difference when it comes to ease-of-removal and overall results. So please, take my word for it, this product really does lay down some substantial ceramic protection but spreading with one towel for the entire car, but switching to multiple wipe-off towels makes the wipe off faster and easier. This is anther reason why it's important to have a good collection of clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels that you DEDICATE as your Paint Care Towels and only use them for your car's paint.

Summary

When people switch over from conventional car waxes and synthetic paint sealants to ceramic paint coatings the first questions they have are,

How do I apply a ceramic coating?

Applying a ceramic coating isn't any harder than applying a conventional wax or sealant it just has the extra step of prepping the paint with a panel wipe before putting the coating onto the paint.

AFTER a person learns how to apply a ceramic coating, the next question they have is,

How do I take care of my ceramic coated car?

That's where not only do these two products enter into the equation, but also another product in the Wolfgang line that I really like and that is the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Wash. The Wolfgang Coating Wash cleans your car when you wash your car the normal way with a wash bucket and wash mitt but the cool thing about this was is it coats over your car with ceramic protection.

It's actually amazing how well this product works and I demonstrate it's ability in all my car detailing classes. Normally what I do is take a neglected car that has not been properly waxed for YEARS and thus when you get the car wet there is ZERO WATER BEADING - and then all I do is wash the car LIVE in front of my students using the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Wash and BOOM - after rinsing - the car beads-up water like you just coated it!

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Here's where I'm going with this, with these two new maintenance products, the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray and the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster PLUS the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Wash you now have a complete line of product to clean and maintain your car's finish no matter what the dirt level. And because you're staying within a single brand or line of products, there's a Synergistic Chemical Compatibility between all the products. I'm a "systems' guy and when I can use products from a single line I prefer to.

Recommendation

If you're already using the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating then these other three products are the perfect companion products to maintain the coating and thus keep your car protected and looking better than showroom new all the time. If you're using some other brand of ceramic coating, these are still three great companion products to clean and maintain your current coating. If you have not ventured into the ceramic coating world, then check out my review for the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Paint Coating, it's a professional grade coating that's easy to use so even someone using a coating for the first time can get professional results. Like all my "reviews", it's actually a step-by-step how-to article that will show you how easy it is to switch from a car wax or synthetic paint sealant to a ceramic paint coating.

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster

Wolfgang Uber Si02 Coating Wash

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Purple Cobra Super Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

You always needs lots of towels...

Cobra Super Plush Junior Microfiber Towels - 12 Pack

2. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detailer and Booster

Continued.....

Here's a short video Yancy and I shot using the new Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray and PROFI Ceramic Booster

Mike Phillips

Continued....

WATER BEADING!

High water beading means,

1. Faster washing.
    2. Faster drying.
    3. Self-cleaning effect anytime it rains.

Artificially induced rain

The next day I asked Andre to bring his car into the garage. It had been 24 hours since I had used the new Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster on his car and I wanted to check out the water-beading characteristics. The forecast was for sun so I had to create my own rain. I filled a Wolfgang Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer about half full with tap water and then sprayed the water onto the roof.

WOW!

Incredible water beading!

The results look almost engineered!

Let me artificially show you how the self-cleaning effect works.

As I spray more and more water on the car to duplicate more and more rain falling from the sky....

The water beads absorb into one another and then run off the car....

When the water runs off the car it takes any accumulated dirt, dust and air-borne contaminants off the paint with it - thus a strong self-cleaning effect.

Faster drying

High water beading also makes drying your car faster and easier because the surface tension created by the ceramic nano particles make water want to get away from the surface and absorb into your microfiber drying chamois or in this example, into my clean, dry microfiber towel.

Pretend you've washed your car and then rinsed the car and now it's time to dry the car....

One single wipe over the paint and 99.9% of the water is gone.

I make a second wipe just above the first wipe and leave a strip of water beads..

The below pictures simply shows how high surface tension helps to make drying your car faster and easier and with less rubbing of a drying towel over the paint.

And of course, I'll clean up my artificial rain mess....

A complete ceramic system to keep your car clean and looking new.

5. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

I always like to share how many towels I use for my detailing projects as well as how many buffing pads. It's my guess that most people don't use as many towels or pads as need to work safely and efficiently.

Here's all the towels I used to wipe the car clean and then apply and wipe-off the booster.

Before washing, I laid out all the towels I used for this project

The towels with the yellow circle around them were the towels I used with the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster, not how they look clean? That's because they were used on the car AFTER I cleaned it.

The other towels were the towels I used with the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray. Notice the dirt level on the these towels?

This shows a lot of dirt and road film coming off the car.

And of course, immediately to the washing machine.

Here's why it's so important to always have plenty of clean uncontaminated towels for ANY paint related car detailing project.

It takes hours to buff out a car... it only takes SECONDS to put scratches back into the paint.

Most the swirls and scratches we all see in our car's paint comes from how we "touch" the paint the most. How do we touch the paint the most? Well... for most of us, it's whenever we,

1. Wash our car.
    2. Dry our car.
    3. Wipe our car with spray on products.

And this means using,

1. Car Wash Mitts.
    2. Drying Towels.
    3. Microfiber Towels.

So take care of your microfiber towels and they will take care of you're car's paint.

7. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes kevinkunkle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, bravo! That’s a lot of info. Thanks for putting this together!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Nice group of products here!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

As always, bravo!

That’s a lot of info.

Thanks for putting this together!
    Yeah - kind of what I do - put together a lot of info.

I always put myself in the shoes of the "new guy" when writing. That is I pretend a person that's never been into car detailing is reading my articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post

Nice group of products here!

I agree. The Uber Si02 Coating Wash is the key to getting a dirty coated car clean safely and then the detail spray and booster are great companion products to maintain the coating but also create...

That just detailed look....

Or better said,

That just coated look...

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Continued....

WATER BEADING!

High water beading means,

1. Faster washing.
    2. Faster drying.
    3. Self-cleaning effect anytime it rains.

Artificially induced rain

The next day I asked Andre to bring his car into the garage. It had been 24 hours since I had used the new Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster on his car and I wanted to check out the water-beading characteristics. The forecast was for sun so I had to create my own rain. I filled a Wolfgang Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer about half full with tap water and then sprayed the water onto the roof.

WOW!

Incredible water beading!

The results look almost engineered!

Let me artificially show you how the self-cleaning effect works.

As I spray more and more water on the car to duplicate more and more rain falling from the sky....

The water beads absorb into one another and then run off the car....

When the water runs off the car it takes any accumulated dirt, dust and air-borne contaminants off the paint with it - thus a strong self-cleaning effect.

Faster drying

High water beading also makes drying your car faster and easier because the surface tension created by the ceramic nano particles make water want to get away from the surface and absorb into your microfiber drying chamois or in this example, into my clean, dry microfiber towel.

Pretend you've washed your car and then rinsed the car and now it's time to dry the car....

One single wipe over the paint and 99.9% of the water is gone.

I make a second wipe just above the first wipe and leave a strip of water beads..

The below pictures simply shows how high surface tension helps to make drying your car faster and easier and with less rubbing of a drying towel over the paint.

And of course, I'll clean up my artificial rain mess....

A complete ceramic system to keep your car clean and looking new.

This stuff looks amazing! I hope I get to try it one day! Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detailer and Booster

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for keeping it in the same family.

Unless you fully understand the chemical differences between different manufacturers, keeping a line in the same family when it comes to LSPs means that the solvent as well as SiO2 delivery system in each product will have been engineered to actually work on each other. Some products won't bond to each other properly so your 30 dollar bottle of SiO2 spray becomes a glorified spray detailer instead of actually adding additional protection.

A lot of people also ask why you top coatings. SiO2 oxidizes overtime. Putting on an additional layer means that if the product is on the car for 2 years, the level of protection remains constant. Your coating is covered up with a product meant to prevent oxidization so Day 1 and Day 500, the same amount of SiO2 concentration and resin remain on the paint.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

13. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post