autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro

While I am but a hobbyist, I ordered some of this coating recently based on this post and gave it a shot on my car. I spent a lot of time claying and polishing with various compounds and polishes, and in the end decided that even though there are visible scratches remaining in the car, I don't want to cut too deeply into the clear coat of my daily driver trying to remove them, especially since I am still learning, unsure of my technique, etc, and it's a black car, which is the hardest to get looking perfect.

I worked on this on my birthday, because what better way to spend it? In the end, though, my lovely wife was waiting to take me out to dinner so I rushed the job a little bit. Never keep a beautiful woman who wants to buy you dinner waiting, that is a SOLID piece of relationship advice. Even if it means....

The next day, I discovered what some of that rushing had cost me: I completely forgot to buff the coating off the side mirror I did while waiting for the door panel to flash, and also left a couple of HUGE high spots of unbuffed coating (one on a door, pretty much forgot to buff the whole 24x24 area, and one on a front quarter panel where I just...missed a spot.)

This is where I discovered the truth of what Mike talked about in his review. This coating is HARD. I used a Lake Country blue finishing pad with M205 and after about 10 passes using a Griot's G9 I could still see that I had not removed it all. At that point I switched to M105 (same pad) and was able to get it cleaned up enough to wipe the panel and re-apply (sorry, re-install?) the coating. Of course in my stupidity I didn't take any pictures, and have since driven the car and gotten dirt on it. I'll post a picture or two after the next tine I wash it. Bottom line is make sure you don't rush the job.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by muaddba View Post

The next day, I discovered what some of that rushing had cost me: I completely forgot to buff the coating off the side mirror I did while waiting for the door panel to flash, and also left a couple of HUGE high spots of unbuffed coating (one on a door, pretty much forgot to buff the whole 24x24 area, and one on a front quarter panel where I just...missed a spot.)

This is where I discovered the truth of what Mike talked about in his review. This coating is HARD. I used a Lake Country blue finishing pad with M205 and after about 10 passes using a Griot's G9 I could still see that I had not removed it all. At that point I switched to M105 (same pad) and was able to get it cleaned up enough to wipe the panel and re-apply (sorry, re-install?) the coating. Of course in my stupidity I didn't take any pictures, and have since driven the car and gotten dirt on it. I'll post a picture or two after the next tine I wash it.

Bottom line is make sure you don't rush the job.

I feel your pain. I've missed coating before and have had to compound it off the next day. A real paint in the butt.

And after a customer had this same experience and based upon my own experience, I wrote this article,

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

I kind of like the Griot's Garage Swirl Finder Light for inspecting for high spots. I use the LED bar light.

Griot's Garage THE BOSS LED Swirl-Finder Light

3. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes axel06, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have this thing, but it doesn't work as well as I thought it would:Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro-flashlight-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought this little guy from the big A for my snow blower because it has a very strong magnetic base.

I used it to look at my paint this summer, and holy lord did it show the true picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I actually bought this little guy from the big A for my snow blower because it has a very strong magnetic base.

I used it to look at my paint this summer, and holy lord did it show the true picture!
    Nice way of explaining the light’s ability to show the truth, lol.

And nice touch including the little Mike Phillips avatar on the top left of that photo. Just coincidence that you happened to be reading a Mr. Phillips post which photobombed here, or are trying to get on someone’s good side?

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Nice way of explaining the light’s ability to show the truth, lol.

And nice touch including the little Mike Phillips avatar on the top left of that photo. Just coincidence that you happened to be reading a Mr. Phillips post which photobombed here, or are trying to get on someone’s good side?
    Lmao! I actually just noticed that!

Remember, people............ Mike is always watching.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered if people reuse MFs that were used to buff ceramic coating? I noticed when I installed a ceramic coating on my truck that the applicator got rock hard as it dried. It only makes sense that the MFs used to wipe during install would end up the same and then potentially damage the paint upon next use.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post
    I've often wondered if people reuse MFs that were used to buff ceramic coating? I noticed when I installed a ceramic coating on my truck that the applicator got rock hard as it dried. It only makes sense that the MFs used to wipe during install would end up the same and then potentially damage the paint upon next use.

Any thoughts?
    Having installed my first, I plan on tossing the wipe off towels, even those that weren’t used much and have no hardness. Or best case maybe I’ll keep the lightly used ones as tire or wheel-well rags.

It’s hard for me to throw away MFs that have only been used for 20 mins in their lifetime, but from everything I gather, it’s the smart thing to do in this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Having installed my first, I plan on tossing the wipe off towels, even those that weren’t used much and have no hardness. Or best case maybe I’ll keep the lightly used ones as tire or wheel-well rags.

It’s hard for me to throw away MFs that have only been used for 20 mins in their lifetime, but from everything I gather, it’s the smart thing to do in this situation.
    I actually bought some "cheaper" MFs for my coating and just set them to the side to use around the garage for other things. Just kills me to have brand new towels and only one use.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Ceramic Coating Pro

I keep a bucket of diluted Power Clean handy and toss the rags in there. They are hand washed afterwards and hung dry, then placed in a container with other MF’s that I’ll use on very dirty parts of cars.

-under the side skirts
    -wheel barrels
    -wheel wells
    -wiping off nuts and bolts
    -engine bay cleanup

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast