autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - IFINITI QX30 in Magnetic Red

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - 2017 IFINITI QX30 - Magnetic Red

We recently traded in the 2009 Lexus RX350 for a very low mileage IFINITI QX30 from our local Stuart, IFINITI Dealership and for what it's worth, top notch people at this dealership. Highly recommend.

The IFINITI QX30 is a compact sport utility vehicle and basically this is a Mercedes-Benz GLA250 with an IFINITI stylized interior. There was only 12,000 one-owner miles on this car and overall it's in brand new condition. It's the Premium Model with the 2-tone leather interior, BOSE stereo system and full amenities.

The paint condition

Of course, the first thing I do is inspect the paint and I was relieved to find it's still in mint condition. So the first weekend I had off I brought it down to Autogeek's Show Car Garage to remove whatever is on it and replace it with what I still consider my favorite ceramic coating and this is the PBL Paint Coating topped and maintained with the PBL Surface Coating. I also use the PBL Surface Coating on all the exterior glass on all the cars I detail plus my own cars. I get all the benefits of a glass coating and never experience any wiper chatter. Of course anything applied to a windshield is going to wear-off due to micro-abrasion. Plus living near the Atlantic Coast, there's a certain amount of wind-blown beach sand that causes wiper-marks on cars in areas along coastlines. So I don't look for the longest lasting glass coating - I look for a glass coating that both works and is fast and easy to RE-APPLY.

Exterior Process

Waterless Wash with SONAX Glass Cleaner.
    Clay using Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and SONAX Glass Cleaner.
    Machine polish using a combination of the new Dr. Beasley's NSP 90 and 45.
    Install the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating to everything on the outside of the car including the wheels.
    Install the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating to all exterior glass and the grill.
    Machine clean the tires using Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner by machine using the FLEX PE14 and a DA Brush

Interior Process

Interior leather
    PBL Leather Cleaner
    PBL Leather Conditioner
    PBL Leather & Vinyl Coating
    Plastic surfaces were treated with 303 Protectant
    Interior glass cleaned with SONAX Glass Cleaner

Here's final results for the interior.

Here's final results for the exterior.

Here's most of what I used, I think the clay, glass cleaner and 303 are missing, plus all the towels.

Icky Tire Dressing

The only downside from most dealership purchases is that they tend to put on the oily, greasy silicone tire dressing on all thier cars. And of course, I detest this type of dressing. The good news is, just doing a simple machine scrubbing with an all-in-one vinyl/rubber CLEANER/conditioner not only removes the goopy stuff but restores a plain, simple non-oily, non-greasy natural black sheen.

That's better...

Took about 4 hours from start to finish.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner, king ranch leather cleaner

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner, king ranch leather conditioner

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating

https://www.autogeek.net/db-nsp-45-f...ng-primer.html

https://www.autogeek.net/db-nano-surface-primer.html

https://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html

https://www.autogeek.net/flex-pe150-...ss-rotary.html

https://www.autogeek.net/hd-scrub-brush-.html

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-glass-cleaner.html

https://www.autogeek.net/303-automotive-protectant.html

https://www.autogeek.net/speed-maste...ler-light.html

https://www.autogeek.net/ultra-poly-detailing-clay.html

https://www.autogeek.net/mf-green-12.html

2. Likes dwaleke, Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - IFINITI QX30 in Magnetic Red

Review

I use and review a lot of coatings and to date, pretty much everything I've used from an established brand performs as advertised. Using the coating is the easy part, it's the PREP WORK that takes so much work and time.

But when it comes to putting something on my own car I always come back to the PBL Paint Coating/Surface Coating combination.

Why?

Because it leaves the paint feeling slick and slippery. Most coatings don't do this, in fact most coatings leave the paint feeling rubbery. It's just a personal preference thing for me but I don't like the paint on my own cars to have that rubbery feel when you wipe them with a towel. I like the towel, be it a microfiber towel or a microfiber drying towel to slip and glide over the paint.

So I stick with the PBL products.

There are a lot of other coatings that are advertised as lasting longer, beading water better, leaving a harder finish, etc. But - I take care of my cars. I wash them GENTLY. I don't strike Bic Lighters against them to impress my friends or the FB/YT/IG world.

Plus the paint looks incredibly glassy like you see above.

I like the PBL Surface Coating because I use this as a topper on the paint and on the glass. Heck I put this stuff on my eye glasses and my iPhone protector. The stuff is really nice.

The products are no more difficult to use than any other coatings on the market and I don't believe they are any more costly than anything else on the market. So I go with what I know.

4. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome color.

The Lexus you traded in is the one you were doing that hood test? Or a different vehicle?
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Awesome color.
    Agree. After claying, polishing and coating it really pops.

The Lexus you traded in is the one you were doing that hood test? Or a different vehicle?
    Yep, same vehicle.

Didn't do it on purpose and the testing was moving along just fine. But the Lexus was getting up there in miles and the wife likes these QX30s.

Here's the link to that,

Real World Ceramic Coating Test by Mike Phillips

And I did update it after we brought the QX30 home, you can see it parked under the carport and by default I get the Honda HRV

And we traded the Lexus in with the test still going strong...

My guess is the car will get auctioned off and somewhere along the line, no one will notice the paint is perfectly polished and doesn't need to be detailed but it will still get the normal auction or dealership wash and buff.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, someone will “detail” your old car and mess it all up for sure. When I traded in my wife’s Honda they asked how I kept it so shiny. It had been paint corrected and coated just 6 months before that so still looking awesome. I told them the first thing I did to keep it that way was not letting dealers wash my car. I said as soon as you guys prep this one for sale it won’t look this good anymore. It’s the truth.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Oh yeah, someone will “detail” your old car and mess it all up for sure.
    My experience with dealerships is for the most part, the sales staff and everyone involved really are not knowledgeable about real car detailing. The finance gentleman that we worked with was actually up-to-speed with the latest products like ceramic coatings and knows who Autogeek and even said he's seen me on TV - "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage. I don't think he knew me from our own TV show.

But the big picture is this - dealerships are not detail shops and again - for the majority of dealerships - the actually cleaning and detailing of a car is an unwanted and necessary evil. This dealership like the other dealership we visited, (and left in a hurry), farm out their detailing work and I think this is a corporate policy.

We really like Matthew and David, the gentlemen we worked with and I never worry about the detailed condition of the car because I'm already planning on taking over this aspect.

When I traded in my wife’s Honda they asked how I kept it so shiny. It had been paint corrected and coated just 6 months before that so still looking awesome. I told them the first thing I did to keep it that way was not letting dealers wash my car. I said as soon as you guys prep this one for sale it won’t look this good anymore. It’s the truth.
    That's how it goes.

When they inspect my Lexus I received the same remarks and comments I always get,

Nicest looking car we've ever taken-in on trade

And it was detailed really nice inside, outside, wheels and tires, etc.

9. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The wife must be pretty pleased with your work on her new ride. Looks sharp!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

The wife must be pretty pleased with your work on her new ride.

Looks sharp!

Yeah she loves the color. I think she likes the turbo charged engine too, it's pretty peppy.

I don't let her know that when I drive it - I tend to take advantage of the sport mode and the paddle shifters.

12. Likes acuRAS82, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking car, something my wife was looking at for a bit.

Nowadays anytime a dealership is involved, I ask them to not prep the car at all. No detailing, no washing, none of that. I'd rather do it myself from the getgo, and I don't want someone with a rotary to go nuts on thin factory clearcoat.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

14. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post

Great looking car, something my wife was looking at for a bit.
    We like the exterior styling, so many cars kind of look like ice cream (on an ice cream cone), after it's melted a little, everything is simply "smoothed-over".

To be honest, it's closer to the size of a car with the "shape" of an SUV, that is 4-doors and a hatchback.

I have one criteria for most anything we outside of my next Monster Truck), and that is I must be able to reach to the middle of the roof when washing.

See how I'm washing the roof?

Unlike most SUVs the Honda HRV and the INFINITI QX30 are short enough I don't need a step ladder or a Werner Work Platform to reach the middle of the roof.

This means no getting up and down and up and down to reach the roof for any maintenance process,

1. Washing
    2. Drying
    3. Claying
    4. Paint correction
    5. Ceramic Coating
    6. Spray detailers and spray boosters

This is not OCD it's called L-A-Z-Y.

Nowadays anytime a dealership is involved, I ask them to not prep the car at all. No detailing, no washing, none of that.

Exactly. You and I and probably anyone that hangs out on a car detailing forum or facebook group thinks like this. This is also the reason I wrote this article

DON'T WASH CAR! by Mike Phillips

I wrote the above article in 2013 after the previous owner of Autogeek took his Mercedes-Benz to the Mercedes-Benz dealership for service and they washed it and scratched the hell out of the paint. This was AFTER I had just did a full exterior detail to it. So I printed out the signs you see in the article and taped them to various places inside the car and then wrote the article.

Fast forward about 4-5 years and someone here at Autogeek had these printed. I have also noticed other companies with similar types of hang tags but I'm pretty sure the idea started with my original article from 2013.

Just some more, Car Detailing History

I'd rather do it myself from the get-go, and I don't want someone with a rotary to go nuts on thin factory clearcoat.

And of course, this is one of the MOST shared articles I've ever written.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Just how thin is the clear layer of paint on a factory paint job?

The factory clearcoat on a new or modern car measures approximately 2 mils thin.

The average Post-it Note is around 3 mils thin.

This means the factory clear layer of paint on a new car is THINNER than a Post-it Note.

Once you hold a Post-it Note between your thumb and index finger like I show above it's pretty easy to wrap your brain around just how thin the paint on your car is and this is why you don't want un-trained people working on it.

By the word working, I mean you don't want other people,

Washing your car - Wash mitts get dirty and contaminated and then they put scratches in the paint. AUTOMATIC BRUSH car washes, (we call the Swirl-O-Matics), are the WORST way to wash a car as this style of car wash also scratches the heck out of your car's finish.

Detailing your car - There's nothing wrong with machine polishing a new car as long as the person doing the work is using the right tools, pads and products and has some level of actual or real training.

You ca be sure, when we take the QX30 to the dealership for any service work we'll do our normal protocol.

First - Point out how nice the car already looks. It does NOT NEED to be washed. Most the time the car wash is done automatically, whether the car needs it or not. A person most be PRO-ACTIVE and point this out.

Second- Request that the car NOT be washed or detailed in any way. No tire dressing applied to the tires, no dressing on the inside, NOTHING. We take care of this.

Third - Place the Autogeek DO NOT WASH CAR onto the rear view mirror.

And of course, doing all of the above in a polite and respectful manner.

16. Likes RamAirV1, Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast