autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - IFINITI QX30 in Magnetic Red

Why do you top the paint coating with the surface coating? Just curious... is the surface coating glossier? Slicker?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    Why do you top the paint coating with the surface coating? Just curious... is the surface coating glossier? Slicker?
    I think the surface coating is the ultimate booster for paint coating, practically a lighter version of the same formula that applied extremely easy, but more substantial than a typical booster. It is slick and glossy but I don’t know if any more so than the PBL coatings when first applied (because they are slick and glossy too).

Just my experience using Surface over wheel and glass coatings, which I think are very similar to paint coating.

Mike can give his own thoughts, I just couldn’t resist.

Post Thanks / Like

Surface coating over the paint coating is actually oddly chemically synergistic. It's basically almost a dedicated topper that can be used on its own, judging by what it is meant to be used on.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post

Surface coating over the paint coating is actually oddly chemically synergistic. It's basically almost a dedicated topper that can be used on its own, judging by what it is meant to be used on.

And from a practical experience point of view - it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if PBL will ever release paint and surface coating together as a paint coating and a second layer as surface coating as part of one "package", as part of a recommended coating regime, the way Gyeon sells Mohs and Skin.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - IFINITI QX30 in Magnetic Red

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Review

I use and review a lot of coatings and to date, pretty much everything I've used from an established brand performs as advertised. Using the coating is the easy part, it's the PREP WORK that takes so much work and time.

But when it comes to putting something on my own car I always come back to the PBL Paint Coating/Surface Coating combination.

Why?

Because it leaves the paint feeling slick and slippery. Most coatings don't do this, in fact most coatings leave the paint feeling rubbery. It's just a personal preference thing for me but I don't like the paint on my own cars to have that rubbery feel when you wipe them with a towel. I like the towel, be it a microfiber towel or a microfiber drying towel to slip and glide over the paint.

So I stick with the PBL products.

There are a lot of other coatings that are advertised as lasting longer, beading water better, leaving a harder finish, etc. But - I take care of my cars. I wash them GENTLY. I don't strike Bic Lighters against them to impress my friends or the FB/YT/IG world.

Plus the paint looks incredibly glassy like you see above.

I like the PBL Surface Coating because I use this as a topper on the paint and on the glass. Heck I put this stuff on my eye glasses and my iPhone protector. The stuff is really nice.

The products are no more difficult to use than any other coatings on the market and I don't believe they are any more costly than anything else on the market. So I go with what I know.

Mike, I've admired your work and commitment to educating weekend warriors for quite a while. I just finished work on my wife's QX30, also a 2017 with two tone leather, but in Graphite Shadow paint. I note in your review and photos that you put coating on the black plastic fender trim. What would you recommend for the trim, if our preference is for a more matte finish, rather than the gloss left by a coating? I have thoroughly cleaned the plastic and used 303 protectant, but that doesn't have the longevity we would like. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ultrared93 View Post

Mike, I've admired your work and commitment to educating weekend warriors for quite a while.
    Thank you for the kind compliment. I like detailing cars and I like showing others how to detail cars. I think being able to type and speak has helped to separate me from thousands of great detailers that while great at detailing, are not as proficient at communications. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrared93 View Post

I just finished work on my wife's QX30, also a 2017 with two tone leather, but in Graphite Shadow paint. I note in your review and photos that you put coating on the black plastic fender trim. What would you recommend for the trim, if our preference is for a more matte finish, rather than the gloss left by a coating? I have thoroughly cleaned the plastic and used 303 protectant, but that doesn't have the longevity we would like. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

That's a tough one because that trim is smooth and glossy. Most any quality brand name meant to protect smooth and gloss is going to make it look smooth and glossy.

I actually can't think of something Autogeek sells that would make a glossy finish look matte. Except for #5000 grit sandpaper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123