autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - IFINITI QX30 in Magnetic Red

Added a picture of the leather interior - driver's side from after the interior detail.

This is what we used,

There was some kind of oily dressing on the dash, kind of the norm for most detailers.

The PBL Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner can be used on both leather and vinyl.

Logical thinking - safe enough for leather.... safe enough for vinyl.

The Leather & Vinyl Coating is our favorite product for sealing and protecting leather. Keep in mind, NOTHING lasts forever where you sit. That is get in and out of the car over and over again and again. Nothing. So the key is to,

Find something you LIKE and use it often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Leather & Vinyl Coating is our favorite product for sealing and protecting leather. Keep in mind, NOTHING lasts forever where you sit. That is get in and out of the car over and over again and again. Nothing. So the key is to,

Find something you LIKE and use it often.
    Mike, how often do you apply the leather coating? I have my own agenda but was curious what yours is.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

Mike, how often do you apply the leather coating?

I have my own agenda but was curious what yours is.

Great question.

We and by the word "we" I mean my wife Stacy, she usually hits the interior of our cars once a month or every other month. Basically, if I'm going to be down here on a Saturday doing something she'll come down to do her interior and then hit mine.

For everyone reading this into the future - the most IMPORTANT area to hit or detail or clean besides vacuuming out all the dirt from the floors, is the driver's seat.

For most people, they are the primary person in the car. At least that's what I see when I drive to and from work each day. One person per car. And this means each time you get into and out of your car anything you touch, your hands, arms, pants, shirt, etc. these parts of your body are MICRO-ABRADING the surface they are touching.

This means, with the most commonly used area being the driver's seat - that whatever you're using on the driver's seat is WEARING OFF.

So simply find something you like and and re-apply it often.

If you like it - this usually means you like how it goes on, how it comes off and how it makes the surface look and feel.

For us, it's the Pinnacle Black Label Vinyl & Leather Coating. It's fast and easy to apply when you keep up on the interior and it makes the interior looks and feel great.

Simple Simon.

There are lots of great products for maintaining a leather interior. LOTS. The key is to do some research, buy a "product" and use it. See if you like it. If you don't, then try the next product you "think" you might like.

Sometimes its a personal preference thing. But at some point, you have to get out from behind the keyboard or the "device", go out to the garage and do stuff.

And just so I don't leave any mis-understanding in the BIG PICTURE of taking care of interior leather - anywhere you skin touches - this area is going to become grimy over time due to the body oils, sweat, lotions, etc on your skin. So once in a while you need to pre-clean the surface. The PBL line includes a dedicated cleaner. It's real thin like water so don't be surprised but do be aware. You pump some out and onto a microfiber applicator pad or towel and then wipe this over the surface. After this, if it's leather use the conditioner. This goes fast, apply, massage, wipe the area. Then apply the coating product.

For vinyl surfaces, use the cleaner and coating but skip the leather conditioner product.

4. Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Had the car here over the weekend and took a couple more shots showing the interior after detailing the interior with the PBL Trio.

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really nice looking SUV’s these QX30s, that color looks great on it too!

As always a stellar job Mike, inside and out! I know it’s a new vehicle, but that dash just looks perfect, I know it didn’t leave the factory looking like that.

My wife also likes the design, seems to be a common denominator in this thread, did Infiniti have a target market in mind?
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

Really nice looking SUV’s these QX30s, that color looks great on it too!

As always a stellar job Mike, inside and out! I know it’s a new vehicle, but that dash just looks perfect, I know it didn’t leave the factory looking like that.
    Yeah.... Stacy is really good at interiors.

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post

My wife also likes the design, seems to be a common denominator in this thread, did Infinite have a target market in mind?

They partnered with Mercedes-Benz and basically borrowed the their drivetrain, frame and body from the GLA 250 and then gave it their own interior and exterior styling touches.

The BIG PICTURE is it's a compact SUV. This is basically a car with a SUV style hatchback. The sad news or good news, depending upon your point of view, Infiniti has stopped making the QX30 mostly due to low sales. Nothing wrong with the car there's just not enough demand for this "category" of car.

We both really like it and best of all, when it's time to wash or do anything - I can easily reach to the middle of the roof. Thus - no work platforms or step stools.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.... Stacy is really good at interiors.

Well she definitely knocked this one out of the park! As I can see why you let her get to your interior as well.

They partnered with Mercedes-Benz and basically borrowed the their drivetrain, frame and body from the GLA 250 and then gave it their own interior and exterior styling touches.

The BIG PICTURE is it's a compact SUV. This is basically a car with a SUV style hatchback. The sad news or good news, depending upon your point of view, Infiniti has stopped making the QX30 mostly due to low sales. Nothing wrong with the car there's just not enough demand for this "category" of car.

We both really like it and best of all, when it's time to wash or do anything - I can easily reach to the middle of the roof. Thus - no work platforms or step stools.

I actually never knew that they had partnered with Mercedes on this, the Mercedes has a very nice design too. My wife had looked at a Mazda CX3(Now CX30 I believe) a year or so ago before we bought her Mazda 3.

Her and I were never ones for larger SUV’s likening them to school busses, but crossovers tick many boxes for us! I think most crossovers look better than their larger counterparts.

Must be nice being taller than 5’4” I struggle to reach half way across her roof and just about make it without the use of a platform!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised, compact SUVs are still all the rage, I thought. This is the same class as Audi Q5, right? Maybe too much competition in the group? Otherwise I don’t know why Infiniti would want to concede such a high selling category.

Post Thanks / Like

It would compete with the Audi Q3 or Mazda CX3. I looked at the Mercedes version once and it was very comparable in size and trunk space to the GTI I owned at the time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It would compete with the Audi Q3 or Mazda CX3. I looked at the Mercedes version once and it was very comparable in size and trunk space to the GTI I owned at the time.
    Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, I see a lot less of those sizes on the road. Thanks for the knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast