autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating & IGL Compounds and Polishes - GREAT ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY

Nice write up as usual Mike. Smart move by IGL to capitalize on the consumer market. It seems to have ruffled a few feathers in the IGL professional community from what I have heard.

2. Likes acuRAS82, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating & IGL Compounds and Polishes - GREAT ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY

More....

Normally I use smaller pads on the CBEAST but due to the curved fenders and a few tight areas, like where the fenders meet the running boards, I used OVERSIZE pads on a smaller backing plate and this enabled me to shove the pad into these areas and because the CBEAST is gear-driven there was no pad stalling.

Some of my favorite tools....

Here's how many pads I went through.

Note the 7" RUPES white foam finishing pads that I used on the FLEX CBEAST.

Also note the one 7" RUPES green foam pad amongst a see of Lake Country pads.

I've also been using the 7" RUPES pads on the BEAST and the Supa Beast and really liking them and using the 6" RUPES pads on both the CBEAST and the Porter Cable and also like them.

RUPES makes really nice foam pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Nice write up as usual Mike.
    Thank you. I put a lot of work into saving the paint job on this car. I still have the nose on the hood to correct. It actually still looks like this,

Smart move by IGL to capitalize on the consumer market.
    The consumer or the "enthusiast" market is HUGE while the pro detailer market in comparison is tiny.

I know of a couple other companies that have figured this out and changed course accordingly.

It seems to have ruffled a few feathers in the IGL professional community from what I have heard.
    I have not heard or seen anything myself but I don't cyber-run in those circles.

I don't blame professionals for wanting to earn a living and in the same context I don't blame IGL for wanting to earn a living for themselves and their employees.

Thanks for chiming in buddy.

5. Likes The Guz, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to have ruffled a few feathers in the IGL professional community from what I have heard.
    Interesting...wonder if Quartz might go consumer at some point.

7. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review of the polishing products. I love to see the side-by-sides where the yellow looks almost to be two different colors after all the defects and ground in dirt is removed.

What are your thoughts on the IGL coating, Mike? You don't really say much about it. Any thoughts on how it compares to the new Wolfgang coating you reviewed a couple weeks ago?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Great review of the polishing products.
    As you know, I'm keen on educating others that the MOST important factor when polishing car paint is the abrasive technology. I always feel bad for people that buy junk products and then if they're fate brings them to this forum we help them to undo the damage - usually micro-marring - caused by the crappy abrasive technology used in the products. Paint is thin and besides taking off perfectly good paint with crap for abrasive technology is a waste of good (thin) paint, it's also a huge waste of time and resources. I've never met anyone that says,

Yes - I'd like to buff out my car twice

(this is where I normally insert my articles on how thin clearcoats are thin)

I love to see the side-by-sides where the yellow looks almost to be two different colors after all the defects and ground in dirt is removed.
    The before and after pictures for severely neglected paint like I photo-documented for this car and product review are powerful. That's why I do this stuff. Would have made an even better YouTube video but I didn't have that option.

What are your thoughts on the IGL coating, Mike?

You don't really say much about it.

Good observation. Here's why,

Besides what I wrote, it's really hard to say a lot about a good coating EXCEPT what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Poly Coating Review

This is a really nice ceramic coating. It has a 4-5 minute flash time and this is perfect for anyone that's new to ceramic coatings but it's also convenient for seasoned professionals too as you have plenty of time to wipe the just-coated panel to remove any high spots.

The gloss? Freaking amazing. Did you see the pictures above? Nuff said.

The thing about a conventional coating, (tiny bottle of liquid applied with a suede patch of cloth wrapped around a foam block), is it either works or it doesn't. By the word WORK I mean, the liquid either wipes over the surface or it doesn't and all coatings I've ever used, just like water (a liquid), they wipe over the surface. There's really not much more to say about the physical characteristics of the coating except for scent or odor and then the flash or EVAPORATION RATE of the product and I touched on both of these aspects in the small amount of text I typed out.

I didn't touch on the scent or odor but I will say it does have a strong solvent smell. This is not a negative it's just is what it is. I've noticed this about other brand name coatings too.

Any thoughts on how it compares to the new Wolfgang coating you reviewed a couple weeks ago?

Here's how I started my review for the Wolfgang PROFI coating - NOTE HOW WHAT I SAY is similar to the explanation I just typed about about describing how coatings work, as in they are a liquid you wipe over the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Review

This is a super easy coating to apply. It spreads over the paint super easy and wipes off super easy too. There's really nothing more I can add to the application and removal of this coating.

Here's one thing the PROFI and the POLY have in common.

1: Within a short time - if you discover a high spot - you can use the coating to re-liquefy the high spot and then wipe it off instead of polishing it off. I shared that I had to do this with the PROFI due to shooting a video and vidoe work interferes with real-world work or in other words, where normally I would have wiped the treated surface, due to shooting a video more time when by and thus I had a high spot to remove and of course I removed it but used the coating to dissolve itself because this is my preferred method when and if it works.

What I didn't share in my POLY review, for no reason but in hindsight I should have, Andre came out and inspected my work and I missed some coating on the passenger side body. Andre was fooling around inspecting my work and discovered it. I'm glad he did because I was able to simply re-apply some of the POLY coating and then wipe everything off.

The one thing they don't have in common is the PROFI has a shorter window-of-time before it flashes and thus starts to cure or harden while the POLY has a longer flash time before it cures or hardens. This makes the POLY more Bubba-Proof but remember, it's marketed as a consumer level coating while the PROFI is a PRO GRADE coating and thus the differences in formulas.

Wow.... going so deep and I haven't even finished my coffee.

Great questions Nate - thanks for asking, I hope my answers help on the education aspect of coating application in general.

10. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the answers.

Things like flash time and the ability of both to fix high spots by hitting the spot a second time is a really nice feature. Actually, drama-free application is really good to know and your original review makes sense now.

Thanks again.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Actually, drama-free application is really good to know and your original review makes sense now.

Making sense is what I'm all about.... at least in the car detailing world.

13. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

For those reading this into the future. This first car I detailed using IGL Poly was when the product was first introduced. The car is actually a streetrod with a custom paint job that happened to be single stage urethane. In the same family of paint resin as modern clearcoats.

And - the IGL Poly Ceramic Paint Coating created an incredible glassy look to the single stage paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

FIRST - How's this look?

This last weekend I had the opportunity to use the new IGL Poly Ceramic Paint Coating on a brand new Pcar with the factory basecoat/clearcoat paint system. So now you can see and learn how to use this product on clearcoats.

Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating - 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S

This is IGL Poly Ceramic Coating or as we say in the industry.... the glassy look!

15. Likes mbkite liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12