autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light and Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Review: Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light and Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Breaking the rules

Normally I start out my reviews with all the technical stuff, you know, what the product is, what does it do, when to use it, etc., followed by important information from the company. But this time I want to get right to the fun stuff and that is,

Look how great these lights work!

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light on black paint!

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light PRO on black paint!

Heck, most swirl finder lights can show swirls on black paint.... but what about lighter colors? That's where the challenge is....

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light on YELLOW paint!

I'll turn the light on and cycle through the three different light color options....

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light PRO on YELLOW paint!

I'll turn the light on and then cycle it through a few different light color and intensity options....

As you can plainly see, these light perform as advertised! They light up swirls and scratches as good and even better than any light I've ever used.

Review

I've been using swirl finder lights since the TERM was invented and the TOOLS were introduced to the car detailing industry. I've used cheap lights, expensive lights and everything in-between and these new swirl finder lights from Speed Master work as good as and in a lot of instances, better than any light I've used.

Must have tools

Inspecting for swirls and scratches

It really doesn't matter if you're a hardcore, seasoned professional of brand new to car detailing, you MUST have good swirl finder lights. Swirl Finder Lights not only enable you to inspect and diagnose the true and accurate condition of a car's finish they also enable you to show your customer or if you're an enthusiast detailer, then you need to see swirls for yourself.

If you're detailing cars for money, you need to know what you're getting yourself into as far as the severity of the swirls and scratches in the paint. This enables you to accurately determine how much time it's going to take to undo the damage and thus how long it's going to take and finally how much to charge. Because a lot of car owners have no clue as to what swirls are or how they are removed, a good swirl finder light enables you to EDUCATE them so they understand your recommendations for the best detailing package to restore a show room new finish.

If you detail your own cars for fun or as a hobby, then just like a pro - you need to know the severity of the swirls and also you need the ability to inspect your work to make sure the process you're using is i fact removing the swirls to your satisfaction so you're not wasting your time.

Inspecting for ceramic coating high spots

If you're installing ceramic coatings, as a pro detailer or an enthusiast detailer, you MUST have great swirl finder lights. Why? Because part of the coating process is the final buff of the section of paint coated and you MUST make sure all of the excess coating is removed or you'll leave what is called a high spot. A high spot is nothing more than a pile, streak or smear of coating that was not removed by your microfiber towels. The problem is - if you don't remove these high spots, after the coating fully cures they can be impossible to wipe-off an in fact must often times be removed by using a compound. That's called working backwards and it's a real paint in the rear. A great swirl finder light will help your eyes to see high spots so you can remove them before it's too late. Take my experienced word for it, if you're installing ceramic coatings you must have great lights.

Inspecting for wax smears

Just like you use a great swirl finder light to inspect for and then remove high spots, a great swirl finder light also helps you to find wax smears if you're using a conventional car wax or synthetic paint sealant, especially on the vertical panels of the cars you detail.

More light is better when it comes to car detailing

Most people have some type of overhead lighting to see the hood, roof and trunk lid when detailing a car. Most people however don't have good lighting to light-up the sides of a car. That's where the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro comes in handy. It's large enough and strong enough to light up entire body panels at one time so you can clearly see what you're doing.

If you know you don't have great lighting but understand how important great lights are, then the new Speed Master Swirl Finder lights are affordable solutions to make all your car detailing projects safer and easier.

On Autogeek.com

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light - DSM-3CL

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro - DSM-5CL

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light and Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Continued....

Okay, now to the important technical information.....

What is it?

Swirl finder lights are lights that use light technology to reveal and highlight below surface defects in paint like swirls and scratches.

What does it do?

Swirl finder lights make it easy for your eyes to accurately diagnose swirls and scratches in a car's finish. This is important to determine before you do the paint correction step and also to check your results as you perform the machine polishing steps.

When do I use it?

After first washing and drying a car to remove loose dirt so there's nothing on the car's finish to block your view of the true condition of the car's paint. You also use swirl finder lights during the paint correction step to check your results and also after you're finished to ensure you've left no coating, wax or sealant residues on the paint.

Why should I use it?

To enable you to accurately inspect a car finish before you start working, while you're working and after you've finished the job.

From the manufacturer

Light the way to swirls!

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light brings you 3 colors of light for optimal detailing precision. The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light fulfills 500 lumens and a 180-degree adjustable handle, allowing for versatility to any space. Also featuring a magnet on the back and bottom of the device, the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light can be a hands-free tool in most situations. Don’t find yourself wasting valuable time, without having a swirl detector like the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light.

From a distance, any car can look like a work of art. But in the right light and the right distance, swirls will soon become visible on your surface, ruining the illusion of a perfect finish. Don’t spend hours detailing only to find you missed a section that is full of swirls. Prevent that extra step of retouching by continuously using the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light to find swirls as you go along.
    The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light boosts LED 500 lumens and contains three levels of lighting power. Those three levels of CCT (correlated color temperature) in kelvin are: 2700K, 4500K and 6500K. The floodlight is super bright with a high CRI (color rendering index) of 96+.

This swirl finder light can run for two hours and thirty minutes on a single charge. This allows you to get a good amount of detailing time in before you have to recharge. The battery indicator will keep your informed on your levels and how much time you have left on your Li-ion battery before it needs more juice. What’s cool about the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light is that not only does it have an on-and-off switch, but it also has an automated system that will change to ECO mode after using at ‘high mode’ for five minutes.

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light is conveniently built to work in a multitude of situations. It is a great tool to be used hands-free, whether by the hook on the top or the magnets on the back and bottom. Plus, it has a 180-degree adjustable handle so that you can shine a light in any position. There is also a heat sink, so that the heat from the light can be dispersed properly. The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light also has replaceable lenses, just in case the unspeakable happens.

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro DSM-5CL

The guiding light to swirl detection!

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro is your answer to catching swirls the first time. Powered by 2000 lumens, the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro is a five-color light and has three levels of brightness. With long runtimes and an operating panel, the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro will have you swirl finding for hours. Made with convenience in mind, the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro makes it easy to be used hands-free and quickly.

Don’t waste time by having to redo steps to fix unseen swirl marks. Swirl marks aren’t always visible from a distance or in certain lights. But, with the help of a swirl finder light, you can avoid any lingering swirl marks. Follow the light and watch out for swirls, as they happen, by using the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro.

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro boasts up to 2000 lumens. The lumens are measured in kelvin and broken into 5 color levels of 2700K, 3500K, 4500K, 5500K and 6500K. The floodlight is super bright and has a 96+ CRI (color rendering index). With three brightness levels, you are guaranteed find the right lighting for all your swirl finding needs with the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro.

Detail and swirl search for hours if needed, with the Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro. Depending on the lighting level you choose, your runtime can vary from two hours and twenty minutes, four and half hours or even up to ten hours. Charging time for the Li-ion battery is only three and half hours, so it is simple enough to charge overnight or during a break.

With an operating panel, you are able to easily control the different light settings and see the amount of battery life you are working with. The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro also has a 180-degree adjustable handle, allowing for easy motion to turn the light in multiple directions. It can even be used on a tripod if desired! The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro also features a quick release charging adapter for a 5M rubber power cord.

My comments....

These are feature packed lights with plenty of adjustment options so you can dial-in the perfect lighting options for your shop lighting environment as well as the color of paint on the car you're detailing.

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light and Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Continued.....

What's in the box?

The light comes with the charging station, which also has a magnetic base to hold it securely where placed, a USB charging cord and a 110v plug-in adapter.

The lens and lens retainer

I know you guys are curious so here's that's behind the lens with the lens retainer removed.

Here's the ON/OFF button, which is also the light color selector.

Hang Hook that folds out of the way...

Ratcheting swivel base

Magnetic base so you can attach the light to any steel surface.

These are the electric charging contacts on the back of the light.

The charging contacts on the light align with the charging contacts in the charging base when you inert the light into the base to charge it.

Charging the light - first use

The directions state to charge the light for 4-5 hours after removing the light from the box and before using it.

The indicator light below the lens will flash when the light is charging and when fully charged will remain fully lit.

Operating Information and Charging Procedure

Technical Information

More info...

Mike Phillips

Continued.....

What's in the box?

Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro - DSM-5CL

The Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro comes with the light and the power cord. The light has a built in re-chargeable battery and can be used with or without the power cord.

On the back of the light is the Operating Panel.

The top row of indicator lights displays the battery charge level.

The second row of indicator lights displays the 5 different levels of color options measured in degrees of Kelvin

The bottom row displays the three options for Brightness Level

Attaching the Power Cord

The Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro comes wit a spring-loaded, quick-release to attach and remove the power cord to the light.

IMPORTANT

It's important you see and understand how to remove the cord from the light so that you don't damage the cord.

The way the attaching end works is there's a collar around the end of the male end that when pulled back removes the tension on the locking tabs SO THAT they can move INWARD and thus enable you to pull the cord out of the light fixture.

DO NOT SIMPLY PULL THE CORD OUT.

You must pull back on the collar first.

I demonstrate how this works in the pictures below.

In this shot the collar is closed around the male end of the power fitting. The word PULL and a down area show you what to do.

In this picture I have pulled the collar downward and by doing this the locking tab will be able to move INWARD and this enable you to remove the male end fitting out of the female socket.

Insertion is easy, simply align the two metal prods to align with the two metal contacts and press into the socket firmly.

You will feel the fitting >click< once it's fully depressed into the socket.

To remove the fitting, this is where you pull the spring loaded collar back to release tension on the locking tabs.

This pull the male fitting out of the socket.

Charging lights - when you first plug the light in it will take a few moments before the battery charge level lights come on.

After a few moments, the indicator lights will begin to flash and show you the battery charge level.

Operating Information and Charging Procedure

Technical Information

More info....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike...but I'm running outta room man!!! Sounds/looks like a great setup for some lighting!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my Speedmaster Swirlfinder Light this thing is really handy and the magnetic base is amazing! Great tool! Works amazing for finding contaminants in towels as well!

I thought I'd seen that tip somewhere here. Review: Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light and Speed Master Swirl Finder Detailer Light Pro

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

I love my Speedmaster Swirlfinder Light this thing is really handy and the magnetic base is amazing! Great tool!

Works amazing for finding contaminants in towels as well!

I thought I'd seen that tip somewhere here.

Here's where I shared this tip,

Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips

(a bunch of good stuff removed to get to the pertinent portion)

First inspect visually

I like to put some light on my inspection area and this is another great use for the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light

The swivel base has a magnet in it to secure it to the steel overhead hutch, perfect for my inspection process. This is my method, everyone has to figure out their own method.

Second inspect both sides of the towel with your sense of touch.

Make sure to wash your hands first so you don't contaminate the towels while feeling them.

Pick out and remove all contaminants

After a towel passes your inspection, fold and store the towels in a clean container to keep them uncontaminated and ready for the next project.

High quality towels are not cheap and you get what you pay for.

Quality towels are TOOLS --> learn to take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

Mark your towel container so no well-intentioned fool ruins your day.

Just to note, the GYEON Bald Wipes do come in a re-sealable bag but this isn't a long term solution for proper storage.

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

High quality towels are not cheap and you get what you pay for.

Quality towels are TOOLS --> learn to take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

Mark your towel container so no well-intentioned fool ruins your day.
    Thank you Mike! This is very helpful!!!

I LOVE the Gyeon Bald Wipes! I have 12 of many more I plan to purchase!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

Thank you Mike! This is very helpful!!!

I LOVE the Gyeon Bald Wipes! I have 12 of many more I plan to purchase!

These are really nice towels. Meguiar's use to make the same towel in white, the M-9910 - but alas, like too many cool things from Meguiar's - they've been discontinued.

It's called,

Hang on....

11. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post