autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

What is it?

3 year ceramic paint coating with 9h hardness that resists swirls and scratching with super hydrophobic characteristics and excellent chemical and corrosion resistance

What does it do?

Seals and protects car paint while adding incredible gloss, depth and shine. The hydrophobic effect creates a self-cleaning effect anytime it rains and washing and drying are faster and easier.

When do I use it?

After first washing and drying paint in new condition or after first doing any paint correction to older cars.

Why should I use it?

To protect your car's paint from anything that would attack it while give it a show car looking finish that washes and dries faster plus has a self-cleaning effect when it rains.

My comments...

Modern cars have what is called a clearcoat paint finish. If this clear top layer of paint properly cared for and regularly maintained by careful washing - it's possible the paint can last as long as the mechanical service life of the powertrain. The powertrain in modern cars, that is the engine, transmission as well as all the other mechanical moving parts, on many brands of modern cars can easily go one hundred thousand miles, two hundred thousand miles and yes, even three hundred thousand miles and LONGER!

That's a long time compared to the engines and drivetrain form cars built just 20+ years ago. The challenge is to get the paint to last as long as the mechanical aspect of a new vehicle. And there are two primary components for getting the longest life out of your car's paint and that is,

1: Sealing the paint to protect it from the elements. This means using either a car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a hi-tech paint coating.

1: Maintaining it via regular and careful car washing to keep the contaminants that will attack the paint - off the paint.

Of course, if you have the ability to park your car in a garage at home and at work so it's not exposed to our paint destroying world, that helps a lot too.

The product and terms, ceramic paint coating have reached the tipping point in that the general public is now pretty much fully aware of what these products are in that they replace traditional car waxes and also synthetic paint sealants. I would dare to say however that the general public still doesn't know the steps that are required to properly PREP the paint for application of a ceramic paint coating.

The truth it - you can wash, dry, clay and then use a panel wipe to any car and apply or to use the correct terminology, install a ceramic paint coating and the coating will do it's job. And by this procedure I mean, completely skipping the paint correction steps of compounding and polishing the paint to remove below surface paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation.

While this will work for the majority of our car-driving population that merely sees their vehicle as a means of transportation, for those that see their vehicle as not only a means of transportation but also as an extension of their personality - the best performance from a coating is when you do the extra steps of machine polishing, after washing, drying and claying the paint to perfect the finish visually and at the same time, prep the paint for maximum coating bonding and thus longevity.

And it goes without saying, but I'll say or type it anyway, the better the bonding the longer the lasting and the longer the lasting the longer the protection.

In the context of appealing to and writing for the second group of people, those that see their car not only as transportation but also as an extension of their personality, I'll outline directions below to include paint correction via machine polishing the paint in order to perfect it by removing the majority of paint defects that in simple terms, tends to make your car's paint look ugly.

DIRECTIONS

Do not apply in direct sunlight.

1. Wash, dry and correct paint if applicable.
    2. Prepare the surface for coating with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep to remove all traces of polishing oils.
    3. Apply several drops of Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating onto a foam coating applicator.
    4. Wipe onto the surface to be coating, working in a 2 x2 square foot area.
    5. Allow product to flash (rainbow appearance) before buffing excess product away.
    6. Continue around vehicle until all surfaces are coated.
    7. Allow coating to cure for approximately 12-24 hours before exposing paint to moisture.

Clean, contaminant-free microfiber towels.

The above directions are pretty much the norm for any paint coating. Actually they are the norm when applying any wax or sealant except the extra step of using the panel wipe to prepare the paint before applying the coating. This step is important because the coating needs a surgically clean, pure paint surface in order to make a proper bond. In order to do this step carefully, it is important that you have a large collection of clean, contaminant-free microfiber towels.

I'll include a link below to some microfiber towels that I like and work really well when installing ceramic paint coatings for both when you're using the panel wipe to prepare the paint, (that's the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep), and also for wiping the treated section of paint to spread the coating out uniformly while also removing any high spots.

Step 1: Wash and dry the car.

This car belongs to my co-worker and he keeps it pretty clean, so all I did was a basic waterless wash using a glass cleaner.

Step 2: Inspect the paint with your sense of touch and if you feel tiny bumps - use detailing clay and clay the paint.

There was light contamination on the paint. I used the Wolfgang Clay and Clay Lube to remove the contamination.

When you first start out, you'll often feel the clay drag a little. This is because the contaminants are still bonded to the paint.

As you continue to rub the clay patty over the paint, the clay removes the contaminants and then you'll feel the clay begin to glide effortlessly over the paint. This is the sign you're ready to stop claying and wipe the clay lube residue off the paint.

Remove the clay lube residue using a clean, inspected microfiber towel.

Be sure anytime you're going to use any microfiber towel on your car's paint you first inspect your microfiber towels by looking at them and also feeling them for contaminants. Once your towels have passed your inspection they are safe to use.

Step 3: Machine polish the paint to remove any swirls, scratches, water spots, oxidation and other surface impurities.

The paint was actually in very good condition. I'm using the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover with a FLEX CBEAST and Buff & Shine Uro-Tech yellow foam polishing pads for the paint correction step.

When machine polishing paint, work small sections at a time, no larger than 2' by 2' and use a crosshatch pattern with 8 section passes over each section of paint corrected.

Overlap your passes by 50%

Making a crosshatch pattern ensures uniform defect removal over the entire section.

After buffing a section, immediately remove the polish residue with a clean, inspected microfiber towel.

Step 4: Spray the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep onto the paint and after gently spreading over a section, use a clean, uncontaminated microfiber towel to gently wipe the paint prep off the surface.

For this step, usue plenty of Perfect Finish Paint Prep to not only dissolve any residual oils on the surface but to also lubricate the surface as you spread the product around and then wipe this residue off the paint.

This shows an ample amount of product. Don't use so much that the product is streaming off the paint.

Step 5: Apply some of the Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Paint Coating to a microfiber foam block applicator pad.

Then apply to a section of paint no larger than 2' by 2' using a crosshatch pattern.

Allow the coating to "flash" on the surface. If you look careful you can see a rainbow appearance in the layer of coating on the paint. These are the carrying agents for the solid portions of the ceramic coating evaporating. You want to wipe this before it fully dries or evaporates so that it's easy to wipe off and you don't leave any excess coating called "high spots"

Step 6: Using a clean microfiber towel, give the section a final buff

Important: Be sure to remove any high spots.

Vitally Important
    As mentioned previously, it is vitally important that all your microfiber towels are clean, dry and contaminant free, especially for this last step of giving the paint a final buff.

That's it!

You don't have to be a "professional detailer" to use a professional grade coating and get pro results. Simply follow each of the steps outlined above and take your time and you to can install a ceramic paint coating to your car's paint.

Final results

Review

This is a super easy coating to apply. It spreads over the paint super easy and wipes off super easy too. There's really nothing more I can add to the application and removal of this coating. If it was sticky and hard to spread or wipe-off I'd tell you but it's not, it's easy on and easy off. It is important to watch for the rainbow flashing effect as this takes place in a window-of-time of about 30 seconds to 60 seconds. This is the real-deal and if you wait too long, the coating will start to bond to the paint as as the solvents evaporate or flash-off, the coating will be in the process of drying and thus bonding to the paint and then it will become difficult to wipe-off.

While trying to get this picture showing the rainbow appearance that appears after application and as the solvents are evaporating or "flashing",

It took longer than recommended time before wiping the paint to both spread and remove any excess product. There was one tiny patch or as the term goes, high spot of coating that was stubborn and difficult to remove. This is normal for a pro-grade ceramic coating.

Instead of rubbing harder I used the coating applicator and a drop or two of the coating and re-applied to the high spot and the solvents in the coating dissolved the high spot enabling me to wipe it off. This is actually a REALLY NICE FEATURE in a coating as not only does it tell you this is the real-deal, but if you inspect your work as you move around the car and discover any high spots, if they won't wipe off you can use the coating itself to re-liquefy the high spots and easily remove them. This process removes the high spot while at the same time it leaves the paint sealed with the coating. Some coatings don't work this way and if you miss a high spot you have to either polish the area and in some cases, compound the area. Then you're back to chemically stripping the area and then re-applying the coating. With this product, you can avoid these hassles.

Been there, done that, don't ever want to do it again. The key take-away for this coating or any coating is you have to take the coating application step seriously and focus-on-the-task-at-hand.

The manufacturer states that this coating can last up to three years. I've been told on the down-low it's actually 5 years! It really comes down to how you "touch" the paint or more specifically, how you touch the coating anytime wash, dry or wipe the finish. So invest in high quality microfiber wash mitts, drying towels and detailing towels and then take good care of them and in return they will take good care of you.

Excellent swirl and scratch resistance as well as highly resistant to spotting and etching
    These are features this coating offers and these are the features you really want in a coating. Just because a coating excels in these areas is not an excuse to run your car through an automatic car wash, you still need to wash and dry your car carefully... but - these are great features as they should extend the visual appearance results much longer than any wax or sealant as well as many coatings.

Water Spots
    Water spots are one of the worst defects to have to remove. The Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Paint Coating provides excellent resistance to water spotting or chemical corrosion. This one feature alone will help to protect your paint as well as help prevent the need to do a heavy compounding process down the road.

There are lots of great coating options available ranging from enthusiast level to professional grade. The Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Paint Coating gives you the ease-of-use of an entry level coating with the solid performance of a pro-grade coating.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Quality Microfiber Towels

You're going to need lots of towels if you're going to detail your own cars. Below is the link to a really nice towel that I personally like and prefer for anytime I'm working on modern clearcoats. The first link takes you to a single towel, the second link takes you to a 12-pack. If your budget allows, I recommend getting two 12-packs. This will get you 24 high quality towels all of the same type. Then you can wash and dry together, (by themselves), store in a clean place and DEDICATE these towels for ONLY working on your car's paint. This is real important.

Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth - 1 towel

Cobra Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloth - 12 Pack

Other products you'll need.....

Wolfgang Auto Bathe - Prep Wash

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 16 ounce bottle - Enough to easy machine polish a passenger size car

Wolfgang Clay Combo - 2 Supreme 530 Microfiber towels like you see in my pictures for when I clayed this car plus the clay lube and 2 bars of ultra fine grade clay

Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep - This is a "panel wipe" you need to use a panel wipe to wipe down the paint before you can install the coating.

Orbital Polisher

You can polish your car's paint by hand but it's going to take a long time. Modern free spinning random orbital polishers are incredibly safe and easy to use and will not only do better work than you and your hands but they will do the job faster. Plus moving forward you'll be able to buff out all your cars, trucks and suvs yourself instead of taking your car to the dealership or a detail shop.

Both of these are great entry level polishers.

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher

Here's my review for the Griot's G9 polisher,

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

Or the trusty Porter Cable 7424XP

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

And Autogeek's Customer Care Staff can help you get the right buffing pads and accessories to make sure you have everything you need to detail your car on a weekend without missing anything.

1-800-869-3011

2. Thanks Bruno Soares thanked for this post
    Likes Loach liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating

Continued....

Here's a video Yancy and I made to share this new coating.

Products and Tools Used

Here's an example of the normal products and tools you will need to prep the paint in order to install a coating. All of these things can be purchased at Autogeek.com or simply call our customer care hotline and reference this article and they will make sure you have everything you need to do the job right on a Saturday in your garage.

Autogeek Customer Care

1-800-869-3011

Mike Phillips

Continued....

From the manufacturer

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating 50 ml.

PROFI, German for professional!

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is a professional grade paint coating designed to provide hydrophobicity, slickness and protection to all painted surfaces. With a hardness rating of 9H, Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating provides advanced protection against minor paint imperfections.

With Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating you can wash your car without fear of altering your paint coating. Easy to apply, Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is long-lasting and can be used by any level of experience.

Profi means professional in German, meaning Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating knows what it’s doing when it comes to hardness, slickness and protection. Why spend time, money and energy on making your car clean if you won’t take the time to protect and enhance it?

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is rated a 9H on the hardness rating scale, making your coating almost as hard as a diamond. This hardness provides protection against minor paint contaminants such as swirls and light scratches. Not only that, but it also protects against dangerous chemical contaminants such as acid rain and insect remains.

Because Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is resistant to chemicals, it is safe to wash your car without fear that you will alter your paint. This professional grade coating gives you protection that could last up to three years.

Besides protection, Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating provides extreme hydrophobicity. This allows for water to bead off your car, thus preventing contaminants from lingering and attaching to your car’s surface. Thanks to its hydrophobic nature, your car will be super slick and sleek.

Easy to apply, Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is perfect for any detailer, no matter the level of experience. Once properly washed, dry and prepped, all you have to do is apply Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating to a foam applicator and apply to the surface in a 2 x2 square foot area. Once you witness a rainbow flash, you can buff away the excess product. For best results, let the coating cure for 12-24 hours before it gets wet.

Mike Phillips

Continued....

If you're new to detailing and you're interested in getting a polisher to make removing swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation faster and easier while also doing-it-yourself, click the link below and watch the video. This video will show you how easy it is to use an entry level polisher.

While it shows the Porter Cable, the same techniques are used for any other brand of orbital polisher on the market today.

And of course, if you have any questions after watching the video, Autogeek's experienced customer care staff can answer all your questions.

1-800-869-3011

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, as always a very thorough and informative review!

Question for you, I've been using the original WG Uber Ceramic syringe and am curious as to the difference between that and this new one? I see reference to the hardness level, is that one of the differences?

7. Thanks Hammer77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review/introduction. Thanks, Mike!

How much product did you use when coating that TT? Does it go on pretty thick? Do you know anything about the shelf-life of the product once it is opened?

I typically use around 15~20ml to coat a medium sized sedan and 25ml to coat a medium sized sedan. If this product goes on similar to other coatings, the 50ml bottle will allow someone to coat multiple vehicles or multiple coats to the same vehicle (though typically not needed). Knowing consumption rates and shelf life is good to know for those of us hobbyists who may go months between coating a vehicle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post

Mike, as always a very thorough and informative review!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post

Question for you, I've been using the original WG Uber Ceramic syringe and am curious as to the difference between that and this new one?

I see reference to the hardness level, is that one of the differences?
    Great questions and all I can go by is what I've already shared and what I've experienced.

The info I shared in post #3 above is from the info sent to me, which I simply copied and pasted into this review. (this is what I normally do for all product reviews)

The manufacturer states,

With a hardness rating of 9H, Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating provides advanced protection against minor paint imperfections.

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is rated a 9H on the hardness rating scale, making your coating almost as hard as a diamond. This hardness provides protection against minor paint contaminants such as swirls and light scratches.
    Assuming the above info is accurate, a person should still wash their car coated car carefully. As most regular members and lurkers of this forum know, I'm a huge proponent of INSPECTING your microfiber towels and also your wash mitts for contamination before using on any car with any type of protection.

As I explain in this video, microfiber products are designed to adsorb and attract stuff, this is great when it's adsorbing and attracting polish, wax or high spots OFF the car, but it's the downside of this type of fiber technology because it means it's as equally good at attracting abrasive dirt particles and other contaminants INTO the weave or fibers of the towel or mitt and then if not discovered and rubbed over your car's paint you're going to get swirls and scratches.

So regardless of what you're doing to car paint - the MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is start by inspecting the things you own that are going to "touch" the paint, including,

• Wash mitts or wash towels
    • Drying towels
    • All forms of microfiber towels

My quote on this topic goes like this,

It takes hours to buff out a car and only seconds to put scratches back into the paint -Mike Phillips

That all said, any coating that has it's own hardness after being applied and cured onto the paint is a plus in my opinion when it comes to maintaining a swirl and scratch-free finish.

To me, this is the more important feature or characteristic of this coating is the chemical resistance aspect. And again, the below is taken from the information provided to me and shared above in post #3

Not only that, but it also protects against dangerous chemical contaminants such as acid rain and insect remains.

Because Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Coating is resistant to chemicals, it is safe to wash your car without fear that you will alter your paint.

I think it's safe to say, the majority of "paint coatings", be they ceramic, polymer, quartz, or? - on the market today all tout how they make the paint surface hydrophobic. This means, water-fearing. In even simpler terms, it means the coating will DRAMATICALLY increase SURFACE TENSION and this is why water, like rain water or lawn sprinkler water, or car rinse water, will BEAD-UP.

And I also think it's very safe to say as a veteran of the NXT vs Zaino Wax Wars, that the general consensus among the masses are that,

1. Water beading is an indicator protection.
    2. Water beading is an indicator of longevity.

And on any given day, if you go to Facebook or Instagram you well see scads of pictures people share of water beading up on their car's finish. People LOVE water beading and water beading pictures and videos.

Water beading or a surface that has been modified to make it hydrophobic, does offer something I really like and I think is a real plus for this characteristic and that is a SELF-CLEANING effect. I've seen it first-person on my own cars. What this means is, if your car is a daily driver it's going to get dirty starting the moment after you last washed it and dried it. There's a window of time after a fresh wash that as light dirt build-up takes place, if it rains, and especially if it rains hard, the hydrophobic characteristic enables the rain water to bead-up and roll off the car and in most cases, if the dirt or road film has not formed a bond to the paint, the rain water will take all the loose dirt and other contaminants OFF the car.

THEN - if the coating does in fact prevent or help to prevent any substance that is corrosive in the water beads that remain on the car to not etch through the coating and then etch into the paint - to me this is the best feature of a coating or any LSP.

I always say on this forum as well as on other social media platforms and in my detailing classes, that in my opinion and experience, the WORST type of paint defect to have to remove are Type II Water Spots also called CRATER ETCHINGS. The reason why is because normally the ONLY way to remove these types of defects is to compound the paint.

Since coating the Audi, it has rained really hard a number of times and just by coincidence we had FLOOD WARNINGS here in Stuart, Florida and the surrounding areas due to how much and how hard it has been raining. Last night I looked out in our parking lot at home and the entire parking lot was flooded it rained so hard. I actually thought if it were to get any worse I would need to move our cars, (both SUVs), to higher ground, even though they sit higher than a regular car.

So after I type out this reply, I'll go outside and look at the hood and see if I see any water spots and let you know.

I also mentioned in the copy I shared this is supposed to be a 3-year coating but I was told it could easily last up to 5 years. My guess is it is being marketed as only a 3-year coating to under-promise and over-deliver. Plus the last thing any company needs is for someone to complain 4 years and 11 months into the coating life that the water beading is not exactly the same as it was the day after application. There does seem to be a lack of common sense about these types of things among some portions of the population. In real simpler terms, it's called hedging your bets or bubba-proofing.

Here's what I can tell you about this new coating. The next day, Andre brought me his car and showed me where I had left 2 high spots on the corner of both sides of the hood where the hood meets the A-pillars next to the windshield. I had to hand-apply some compound to remove these high spots. They would not rub off with a microfiber towel and re-applying the coating would not re-liquefy them and enable me to remove them. He also showed me where I got the coating on the windshield? I have know idea how I did this but I had to compound the coating to get it off the glass. So once this coating sets-up... it's a done deal.

And for anyone reading this into the future, before using this coating or ANY coating make sure you have a great hand-held light to inspect for high-spots and REMOVE them IMMEDIATELY. From someone that's been there and done that a number of times in his life.

I hope that answers your questions and thank you for asking.

Mike Phillips

Also to add..... if you have not read this article, please do so and take what I have written seriously.

I'm pretty good at this stuff and I STILL make mistakes.

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

Mike Phillips

More....

As soon as I get caught-up with my office duties I'm going out to coat this old 2-door Ford.

I've already done these things,

1. Waterless wash
    2. Clayed the paint
    3. Removed the pinstripes
    4. Did the paint correction

All that's left to do is use a panel wipe to prep the paint and then install the coating.

Hang tights...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Great review/introduction. Thanks, Mike!
    Thank you Nate.

How much product did you use when coating that TT?
    The bottle I was given had already been used so I'm not sure the fill-level? Because it's black, it's hard to see the fluid level anyways.

Does it go on pretty thick?
    It did seem to be more substantial than some coatings. When I coat the 1932 Ford I'll pay more attention.

Do you know anything about the shelf-life of the product once it is opened?
    Not off hand but I can ask. My guess is like all coatings, after opening the bottle, re-seal the cap TIGHT and store in a cool place.

I typically use around 15~20ml to coat a medium sized sedan and 25ml to coat a medium sized sedan. If this product goes on similar to other coatings, the 50ml bottle will allow someone to coat multiple vehicles or multiple coats to the same vehicle (though typically not needed). Knowing consumption rates and shelf life is good to know for those of us hobbyists who may go months between coating a vehicle.
    All good points. I think you cold easily coat 2 normal size passenger cars with this 50ml bottles. One factor as to how far a bottle of coating will go is your applicator and another factor is your own technique.

Great questions - thank you for asking.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast