autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pre-Production UDOS Polisher from LC Power Tools - First Look Pictures

Pre-Production UDOS Polisher from LC Power Tools - First Look Pictures

What's in the Box

L.C. Power tools has sent out 10 of their pre-production examples of their new UDOS 51e Polisher. The instructions that came with the tool requested me to test in my normal manners and even test in ways I would never recommend to others. Before I put it through testing, and while it's still clean and purdy, I thought I would showcase the pre-production unit and go through all of it's features.

Testing Tool and Pads

Here's everything that came in the box plus a few extra pads I had already received for TV and video work last year.

Assembling the backing plate to the spindle

The tools arrived without the backing plate attached to the tool but it comes with the backing plate, a Hex Head bolt and a Hex Head Wrench.

There's a slotted indent on the back side of the backing plate so when it's attached to the spindle it's locked in place and cannot spin on the spindle freely.

NOTICE the quality in fit and finish of the reciprocating components.

Here you can see that the spindle is machined for the slot on the backing plate to attach.

Hex head wrench and bolt

Carefully ensure the slot in the backing plates fits flush against the spindle before tightening the bolt.

Now that I've attached the backing plate, let's take a look at the tool...

Three Handle Size Options

This tool came with the Medium Sized handle already attached. There are 2 more handles available, a large and a small so you can use the handle that fits your hand and buffing style.

Here's the large and small handles for size reference

Soft Rubber Tool Rests

This is the soft rubber forward tool rest. The tool rest enables you to set the tool upside down and lay flat against a surface without tipping over. These rubber tool rests are soft so they won't scratch most surfaces. They are slow wear items and can wear out but L.C. Power tools designed them in such a way as they can be user-replaced.

Rear Tool Rest

Variable Speed Dial

Speed adjusts from 1 to 5

Air Filter Screens

Speed Trigger

Trigger Lock Button

Stress Relief Cord Support

9' Heavy Gauge Power Cord

The power cord is rubber coated 12 gauge wire cord. The rubber is not only less likely to mar paint but also doesn't have a memory like a vinyl cord so it will relax when used instead of holding a coil.

How much does she weight?

Probably one of the most common questions I hear about the UDOS 51e is how much does it weigh? We have an accurate electronic digital scale for shipping purposes here at Autogeek so let's see what she weighs in at?

9.4 pounds fully dressed

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: UDOS Polisher from LC Power Tools - First Look Pictures

Continued....

The UDOS Head Unit

Here's where the magic takes place. By pulling down on the spring-loaded collar, you adjust the UDOS to 5 different tool actions. Each action is marked on the side of the collar with the numbers 1 through 5.

Here's the numbering code for the 5 different tool actions

1 = Rotary mode

2 = 8mm sanding mode

3 = 12mm free spinning long stroke mode

4 = 15mm free spinning long stroke mode

5 = 21mm free spinning long stroke mode

In the shots below, I simply show the location of the different alignment marks that must be aligned before depressing the spring-loaded adjustment collar or releasing it.

Adjusting the 5 tool actions

Missing Picture

NOTE: I needed an extra hand to take the picture described on the CAUTION sticker - basically when the collar is depressed you can see a ring of shiny metal. If after letting go of the spring-loaded collar it does NOT return to it's normal resting place then you will see this shiny ring of metal just behind the top of the collar and this is your VISUAL indicator that the tool is NOT ready to operate and you need to re-adjust until the collar is returned back to it's natural position.

Alignment mark on the head housing

Alignment mark on the spring-loaded adjustable collar - this is also where the tool operations numbers are located

Alignment mark on the Hub

Alignment mark on the backing plate and also the "Stall-Aware mark

Perfectly align all 4 alignment marks and then depress the adjustable collar and rotate it to select the tool action desired.

When all 4 marks are correctly aligned it should look like this,

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

The UDOS 51e Pad System

L.C. Power tools is it's own separate division under the Lake Country Manufacturing umbrella. It's sister company of curse is Lake Country Buffing Pads. The UDOS pads are unique to the UDOS polisher. The foam formulas are proprietary to Lake Country, no other pad manufacture has these foams. There are 3 pads in the UDOS pad system.

There's a dark green foam cutting pad, a desert tan foam polishing pad and a micro-wool cutting pad.

Foam Pad Shape & Design

The foam pads have a tapered bevel which assists in maintaining maximum surface contact under pressure while resisting twisting and flexing inward under pressure.

Green Foam Cutting Pad

Desert Tan Foam Polishing Pad

Micro Wool Pad - for both rotary and orbital use

The micro-wool pad uses a very short pile length with a sewn-in grid style pattern that aids in keeping the pad cool as well as maintaining the fiber placement over the face of the pad when in use.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Operator's Manual

You know? I've actually seen tool introduced to the market without an Operator's manual or a single piece of literature to educate the customer about the tool. Shocking when you take into consideration making the tool is the hard complicated part, typing out information to share with your customer is the easy part.

Not L.C. Power Tools, they took the time to actually put out a operator's manual that is complete and informative.

Well laid-out information....

And this is a nice touch too, a personal letter from the President and Founder of LC Power Tools including his request for what he would like all of us 10 testers to do. And I am more than happy to do my part, use the tool, torture the tool and then capture video, photos and my experience and share them with the LC Power Tool company.

There you go - and full and thorough look at the first pre-production UDOS 51e

8. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pre-Production UDOS Polisher from LC Power Tools - First Look Pictures

Continued....

Here's a video we shot here at Autogeek with the Brand Manger for LC Power Tools, Yvan Lacroix and myself show you the USOS 51e in action sanding and buffing. We also walk through all the features of the tool and the pads.

10. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here will be my first detailing project to put the new UDOS 51e to the test.

UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

Click the link to see the true and accurate before condition.

UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

12. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exciting. I was not very excited about the UDOS until I read this thread. Now I’m super excited to spend more money!!! Or, Mike if you had a giveaway, for handsome bald guys that attended a Mike Phillips Roadshow that live in Wyoming, that would work too!!!! Great info so far!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

This is exciting. I was not very excited about the UDOS until I read this thread. Now I’m super excited to spend more money!!!
    Tell you what, this is well-built.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Or, Mike if you had a giveaway, for handsome bald guys that attended a Mike Phillips Roadshow that live in Wyoming, that would work too!!!!

Great info so far!
    Heck, I don't even get to keep this one... I have to send it back so the Engineers can dissect it and inspect it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling, there are going to be some good used polishers on eBay shortly after this arrives!

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good video on that.

Looking forward to Mike's review vid too.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

18. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast